Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's forthcoming iPhone 13 could include a 1TB storage option for some models and LiDAR Scanners across the entire lineup, according to a report from Wedbush analysts.

iphone-12-pro-display-video.jpg

In a new note to investors, seen by MacRumors, Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives said that initial Asian supply chain checks gave the firm "increased confidence" that Apple's 5G-driven product cycle would extend well into 2022, and that this would be reflected in improved technical specifications.

From the report:
Initial Asia supply chain builds for iPhone 13 are currently in the 100 million unit range compared to our initial iPhone 12 reads at 80 million units and represents a 25% increase YoY out of the gates. While this number will clearly move around over the coming months, we believe this speaks to an increased confidence with Cook & Co. that this 5G driven product cycle will extend well into 2022 and should also benefit from a post vaccine consumer "reopening environment." From a spec perspective, we have increased confidence that iPhone 13 will have a 1 terabyte storage option which is double from the highest Pro storage capacity today (512GB) and will also include a number of enhancements with Lidar across all iPhone 13 models.
Apple leaker Jon Prosser last month doubled down on an earlier claim that the iPhone 13 lineup would feature a 1TB storage option. Apple currently only offers this capacity as an option in its iPad Pro models, but the additional storage would make sense for iPhone owners, especially those taking advantage of new photography features like ProRAW. ProRAW files are 10 to 12 times larger than HEIF or JPEG files, which means users will need a great deal more on-device storage or else pay for larger amounts of iCloud storage space.

A previous report has also suggested that Apple will expand its LiDAR Scanner to the entire iPhone 13 lineup in 2021, rather than only the Pro and Pro Max models, as is the case in the current iPhone 12 series.

Looking ahead based on their initial build forecast for iPhone 13, Wedbush analysts remain bullish about Apple's prospects in the smartphone market, suggesting the iPhone 13 could be "a game changer indicating the supercycle party in Cupertino is going well in FY22."

Apple is predicted to return to its traditional September smartphone unveiling for the iPhone 13 lineup, which is expected to include the same-sized model options, including a 5.4-inch iPhone 13 mini, 6.1-inch iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 13 Pro Max. (These names are simply placeholders and could always end up being different.)

Major design changes are not expected, but we can likely count on camera improvements, a faster A-series processor, and a new 5G chip from Qualcomm. Rumors suggest at least one iPhone in 2021 could feature a portless design that relies entirely on wireless charging rather than a Lightning port, though it's not clear if this will pan out.

Other rumors suggest a 120Hz ProMotion display could feature in this year's iPhone. Apple could also shrink the notch in 2021, with one rumor suggesting a shallower notch with a reduced height rather than reduced width will be added to the iPhone lineup.

Apple is also said to be considering adding an in-display fingerprint sensor to the iPhone 13 models, which would be used in addition to Face ID as an alternate biometric authentication method.

Article Link: iPhone 13 to Include 1TB Storage Option and LiDAR Across the Board, Says Wedbush Analyst

bebarhood

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
And it will cost $10,000.

I know I complain, but I am still getting the iPhone 13 Pro. Probably not the 1TB, but it's a nice upgrade from my Xs

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
We know for a while that both 2020 and 2021 lineup are going to be similar in terms of design and display sizes. I’m really curious to know if they are going to keep the same design in 2022 or if they are going to introduce design changes across the lineup. Just curious, because I’m probably going to buy a mini this year.

Reactions: GuruZac

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
We need nothing but cloud storage, they said.
When I go on holiday, data usage is pretty limited so I'll rely on internal storage for photos and video (usually 4K60). I'm sure there will be some folks who will be able to utilise that 1TB option - if you're happy with 64GB then cool - but maybe best to avoid snide, unoriginal comments in a forum of predominantly technically-minded people.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
We know for a while that both 2020 and 2021 lineup are going to be similar in terms of design and display sizes. I’m really curious to know if they are going to keep the same design in 2022 or if they are going to introduce design changes across the lineup. Just curious, because I’m probably going to buy a mini this year.

Probably 3 years at least, if the iPhone X was any indication.

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I wonder if they will bump the base storage of the Pro lineup from 128GB to 256GB given the 1TB rumored bump. Or they would alternatively raise the mid tier Pro from 256 to 512GB perhaps?

Either way, with the camera array already available on the iPad Pros, it wouldn't be surprising if they streamline everything and include the LIDAR onto the upcoming update really lol.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
1 TB of storage? Two things come to mind. I don’t think consumers realize how much storage that really is and I couldn’t even fill that much memory if I tried. You’d have to have a major backlog of photos and apps to even need that much storage.

And the biggest consideration, will be the price point for a 1 TB iPhone, which we all know, Apple has a high markup on the higher storage iPhone models.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Plan to replace my 11 Pro with a 13 Pro or 13 Mini. A weird comparison I know, but after holding the 12 Mini the other day, I was super impressed. The 13 Pro is interesting because of the rumored 120Hz display.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
I think 1TB onward only more useful on Mac rather than iDevice due wall garden nature, but I find for some heavy iPhone shooters folks with their raw files and 4K recording can take this as advantage.

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
I wonder if they will bump the base storage of the Pro lineup from 128GB to 256GB given the 1TB rumored bump. Or they would alternatively raise the mid tier Pro from 256 to 512GB perhaps?

Either way, with the camera array already available on the iPad Pros, it wouldn't be surprising if they streamline everything and include the LIDAR onto the upcoming update really lol.
Well i'm thinking they'll go with 256GB base and the (small) Pros will start at $1099 then $1199 and $1299 or $1349 this year.
Or they'll go with 128GB, 512GB and 1TB and the price will start at $1049 then $1249 and $1449.
I'd be surprised if the prices stayed the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.