Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Geekbench score for the iPhone 14 Pro Max with the new A16 Bionic chip has revealed little performance improvement compared to the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max from last year.

iphone-14-pro-dynamic-island.jpg

A Geekbench test result for iPhone15,3, the identifier for the iPhone 14 Pro Max, shows the new iPhone with a single-core score of 1879 and a multi-core score of 4664. The iPhone 13 Pro scores 1707 in single-core and 4659 in multi-core, only being marginally slower than the latest high-end iPhone.

The most significant new feature of the A16 Bionic chip is that it's the first chip from Apple based on the smaller 4nm process. The A15 Bionic chip, like Apple's M1 and M2 Apple silicon chips for the Mac, is based on the 5nm process.

Despite the smaller jump in performance that some may have hoped, Apple says the A16 Bionic chip is "the fastest chip ever in a smartphone." The A16 Bionic has a more powerful GPU that can provide up to 50% more memory bandwidth for graphics-intensive games. The A16 Bionic also has a new 16-core Neural Engine to power advanced machine learning tasks. In the CPU, the A16 Bionic features the same 6-core count as the A15 Bionic, but Apple says it's a "new 6-core CPU."

Update: This article has been updated to note that the Geekbench result is for an iPhone 14 Pro Max, not an iPhone 14 Pro. Both devices use the same A16 chip, however, so their scores should be similar.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Pro Max Geekbench Score Reveals Marginal Performance Improvement Over iPhone 13 Pro

Last edited:

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
That's a 10% jump in single-core performance - the metric that is going to make the most difference in day to day usage of the phone. I'll take a quiet multi-core year if we get major energy consumption and heat-output reductions as a result.
Also, we know when it comes to the M3, multi-core performance scales almost linearly by just packing in more cores, so I'm not concerned for Apple Silicon on the Mac.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
I think people want the Pro devices to come with the M series processors now but no one knows what they plan to use that much power for.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Looks like Moores Law is already catching up with Apple Silicon. But here I am on a plane using an iPhone X with an A11 chip. Who am I to complain really. These phones are so super fast that you get one, it’s gonna last you years. I am still using a 6s at home with a A9 as a backup phone. Apart from the sucky battery life, it’s still super fast.

But I think the SoC has reached a point now for Apple where it’s pretty much a solved problem. The issue is unleashing the existing power of what’s already on the market. So software and efficiency is really where it’s at.

Besides 5nm to 4nm, shouldn’t be that surprised. If A17 Bionic goes to 3 NM, might see some dramatic raw performance. But again, who is Apple competing with here? It’s certainly not Android phones, it’s obviously itself.

What a time to live?

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
They just want to see big benchmark numbers even if no software they use would ever take advantage of it. We see the same thing with the computer and tablet market.
The difference is that computers last for a lot more time and the longevity matters. And not forgetting that there are ample usecases for computers with additional power.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
And not forgetting that there are ample usecases for computers with additional power.
Yes, that's why I said even if no software they (personally) use will ever need it. There are of course needs for it for some people, but a lot of consumers don't actually need that horsepower and never will. They just want to see big numbers.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
What a sad update. I can see low sales and Apple being forced to come out with the next gen phone sooner than the typically timeframe.
Incredible comment. Only the pent-up demand for a big screen non-pro iPhone will send sales skyrocketing this year.

Reactions: wlossw

vtuberalpha

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2021
Germany
Love to see a blind test of the latest 3 gens with consumers - to see if in "normal" daily life they can tell any difference. I would bet a 100 they couldn't ....
And they won't notice this meager improvement ever. Phones are so ridiculously fast already that no benchmark score increase actually matters anymore.

Reactions: deckard666

chiimaero

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Not surprising given how vague the SoC presentation was yesterday. It seems that A16 is basically A15 on 4nm with revamped media (and AI?) engine. This may mark a move towards a two years cycle for CPU/GPU refreshes.
Not necessarily a bad thing as the industry is poised to slow down no matter what till we find some new magic tech.
2023 iPhones will arrive with 3nm chips. 2024 iPhones as well. It's possible 2025 iPhone will still be on some refined 3nm...

The good news is current SoC are already very very capable. And a slowdown with easy/cheap perf. gains will push software innovation even further.

That being said, I'm wondering how they can expect to sell those new models in high volumes given how little innovation they have to offer... and how expensive they're getting in most of the world...

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
They improved most in power efficiency, which I’d actually prefer at this point. Let’s be honest, even an Iphone XS doesn’t feel sluggish. When’s the last time you used an iPhone that did??
The iPhone X I gave to my mum still works great. 7 Plus (while sadly getting no more new software updates) still works reasonably well too. Little dips now and then, but forgivable considering it's five years old.

Reactions: wanha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.