Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
What a sad update. I can see low sales and Apple being forced to come out with the next gen phone sooner than the typically timeframe.
Yeah, because the sales are all about the improvements in CPU speed at this point right? Nothing else that people care about?

I'd say that the least interesting thing for the absolute majority of the potential buyers. Better battery life, better camera, better screen, better drop protection… the list of what people care about other than CPU speed is quite long. Higher price is mainly what put people off, I'd say. Still, it will sell quite well. Let's get back to this prediction a year from now…

Reactions: The.316

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
I'm interested in the Precision dual-frequency GPS (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou) offered in this years pro models. It would be nice to see some real world test to show the accuracy vs. the non dual frequency phones.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
What do you require more RAM for? I'm not trying to be cheeky, genuinely wondering. Or is this a case of just wanting to see a bigger number?

The new camera system (the true upgraded feature), satellite location feature (rarely will be used), crash detector (gimmicky), dynamic island (a pseudo feature for notifications and gimmicky), and the always on display (wow another pseudo notification feature!) will use additional ram.

Therefore, the newest iPhone Pro 14 will use more ram than the iPhone Pro 13 yet it has the exact same 6GB of ram. This is a obvious reason for people wanting and needing more ram. Apple even stated more multitasking will occur due to the dynamic island lol......so a ram increase would have been significant.

Last edited:

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
They improved most in power efficiency, which I’d actually prefer at this point. Let’s be honest, even an Iphone XS doesn’t feel sluggish. When’s the last time you used an iPhone that did??

Even 4-5-year-old iPhones don't feel sluggish yet, and I'm happy they improved the chip's efficiency. But did anybody expect the 4nm process? Maybe we'll see it in the M2 Pro/Max/Ultra as well and then move to 3nm for M3.
I take it you’ve not used an iPhone 8 in a while, introduced in 2017 and discontinued in 2020. 5 years from introduction, 2 years from last official sale.

With A11 and 2GB of Ram mine can have 2 maybe 3 apps open before throwing them away and with iOS 15 the camera app bogs down so much pressing home takes 10 seconds to go home and the power button takes 15 seconds to power off.

Reactions: Tsepz

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
What do you require more RAM for? I'm not trying to be cheeky, genuinely wondering. Or is this a case of just wanting to see a bigger number?
Multi tasking.

Even with 6 GB, the OS runs low on ram at times, and some apps like YouTube, safari, rss readers, etc. end up reloading when you go back to them. So imagine watching a YouTube video, going to gmail, and coming back to YouTube and the app reloads… now you have to go find that video all over again. Same if you were reading something on Instagram or some other app.

8 GB would make for a better experience. I don’t have this problem on my iPad Pro with. 8 GB. Apps rarely reload when you come back to them.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
Although the improvements between the 13 and 14 may be incrimental, many people aren't going from a 13 to a 14. I get a new phone every 3-4 years. The jump from the 11 to the 14 is likely to be much more noticeable.

Reactions: teak421 and Mr47

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
Thats why they compared the chip to an older one and not the A15 as they know its hardly any difference.
They’re not expecting people to upgrade every year. It’s more useful to people who have 2 to 3 year old devices. People like me who have a phone introduced 5 years ago will see an order of magnitude improvement with any of the new hardware.

Mr47

Suspended
May 21, 2022
Probably they could squeeze out more performance, but since it's still the 5nm but a little improvement it would mean more heat and more heat is more throttling.. Besides that this chip is way too fast and can't think of situations where I would want even more speed. Probably next year with 3NM we will see a bigger jump.

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
I don’t care about benchmarks. Just give me my dynamic island 🏝 🤩🤩
I think "Dynamic Island" is a stop gap until they can remove the notch. When that happens, it will be the mobile equivalent of the MacBook TouchBar experiment.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
4659 is actually slower than my 13 pro max I get 4793! Performance regression? Have we reached peak iPhone ?

1662645122551.png

D-ConYT

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2022
Earth
Yeah, that's probably to be expected. Apple's kinda saying "we've become so fast, we don't need to make large chip updates anymore hahaha!" Yeah, just wait.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I take it you’ve not used an iPhone 8 in a while, introduced in 2017 and discontinued in 2020. 5 years from introduction, 2 years from last official sale.

With A11 and 2GB of Ram mine can have 2 maybe 3 apps open before throwing them away and with iOS 15 the camera app bogs down so much pressing home takes 10 seconds to go home and the power button takes 15 seconds to power off.
Sounds like you have an issue given that my iPod Touch, which is running a downclocked A10 with no e-cores, doesn't struggle with those things.

Pummers

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
So the price in Denmark is up 350$ tier for tier compared to last year launch price. The satellite phone is not working in EU OR WORLD - and no improvement really - I think this will be the first EVER iPhone I skip :(
Price in Denmark is 1500$ for the iPhone 14 pro.
The Euro has fallen ~15% year over year against the USD. Apple always prices their product in pretty close lockstep to the USD in the local currency to reduce arbitrage.

It stings here in Canada as well, USD has taken off due to everyone fleeing investments to the strongest economy/currency by default.

seanbperiod

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Are any of the features, like Action mode, exclusive to the 14 Pro? Or will that show up in ios 16 for 13 pro?

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
What a sad update. I can see low sales and Apple being forced to come out with the next gen phone sooner than the typically timeframe.
Very sad indeed. And that horrific thingee at the top. I just deleted my pre-pre-order for the 14 Pro Max.

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
A-series processors are plenty fast already, it makes sense to optimize for battery life rather than performance.

Hyperchaotic

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2005
Why does Apple always say "We've created our fastest chip ever...."
They are hardly going to create a newer handset with a slower chip, so it's quite obvious that the chips will get faster with each new iteration, isn't it?

I always look forward to repeatedly hearing the word "excited".

Konceptz804

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2017
As much as I would love a new iPhone, my 1TB 13 Pro still puts a smile on my face every time I pull it out of my pocket.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Not surprising given how vague the SoC presentation was yesterday. It seems that A16 is basically A15 on 4nm with revamped media (and AI?) engine. This may mark a move towards a two years cycle for CPU/GPU refreshes.
Not necessarily a bad thing as the industry is poised to slow down no matter what till we find some new magic tech.
2023 iPhones will arrive with 3nm chips. 2024 iPhones as well. It's possible 2025 iPhone will still be on some refined 3nm...

The good news is current SoC are already very very capable. And a slowdown with easy/cheap perf. gains will push software innovation even further.

That being said, I'm wondering how they can expect to sell those new models in high volumes given how little innovation they have to offer... and how expensive they're getting in most of the world...
No, it's an A15 optimized for energy, just like the A15 was an A14 optimized for energy.
Given that many more people complain "I wish my phone had longer battery life" than complain "I wish my phone were faster" this seems like the appropriate optimization...

People are upset about this not because of iPhones exactly but because they assume this means macs don't get faster. But that chain of logic includes an implicit assumption -- that future macs will use the same cores as future iPhones. It's not clear that this is a very good assumption...
Apple is perfectly capable of designing/improving three cores every year (P core, E core, Chinook core [very small ARM64 core used as controller for various hardware, GPU, NPU, etc]). Why can't they expand this to four cores? Obviously IP will be shared across all cores (like it is today) but the highest end cores will be optimized for performance in a way that makes sense for always-powered devices but which does not make sense for battery devices.

Why did Apple upgrade the MBA and cheapest MBP, but not the mac mini to the M2?
Ahh, well, when you understand that, you will understand my point...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.