Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rezein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
I'm not sure if this is an issue with iOS 16 or all iPhones 14 pros, but there is stuttering with most of my games on this new phone. It's supposed to be the fastest SoC in a phone yet it's stuttering and dropping frames in games like Terraria or Monster Hunter Stories. I have around 40 games and only 5 of them are working without frame drops and stutters.

My friend's iPhone 14 PM is having this same problem. My old iPhone XS max is smoother. Does anyone know whats causing it or if this can be fixed in an update?

Reactions: decypher44

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
This is a known issue with documented stutters on iOS animations and games using the 14 Pro when there are no stutters on the 12 or 13 lines.

There are loads of threads on this matter if you go back a few pages. I don’t think there is a fix right now, unfortunately… I guess there is an optimisation issue with the A16 as the regular 14s, with the A15, don’t appear to have the same problems.

Rezein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
This is a known issue with documented stutters on iOS animations and games using the 14 Pro when there are no stutters on the 12 or 13 lines.

There are loads of threads on this matter if you go back a few pages. I don’t think there is a fix right now, unfortunately… I guess there is an optimisation issue with the A16 as the regular 14s, with the A15, don’t appear to have the same problems.
Wow thats insane that Apple missed this, especially since they have Apple Arcade where most games on there show the stutter. Can Apple fix this in an update?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Wow thats insane that Apple missed this, especially since they have Apple Arcade where most games on there show the stutter. Can Apple fix this in an update?
It’s very poor from Apple and should never have happened. I am certain they’ll fix it soon via an iOS update.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Not encountered any issues so far with anything I've done on my launch day iPhone 14 Pro?

Maybe try a factory reset?

Rezein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
Not encountered any issues so far with anything I've done on my launch day iPhone 14 Pro?

Maybe try a factory reset?
I've tried a factory reset, also set it up as new. But since it's happening on my friends phone also, I don't think it's only my device.

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
Same thing with Genshin impact on my iPhone 14 PM. I tried everything from restoring my phone to new to downloading the newest iOS 16.2 beta. Nothing works and it stills stutters. I regret spending $1000 on this phone.

Rezein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
Same thing with Genshin impact on my iPhone 14 PM. I tried everything from restoring my phone to new to downloading the newest iOS 16.2 beta. Nothing works and it stills stutters. I regret spending $1000 on this phone.
I won't be buying another iPhone if Apple doesnt fix this soon. It's even stuttering in basic 2D games. This is not acceptable

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
If you've only just bought the phone from Apple and you aren't happy with it, return it.

You've got a no quibble returns policy if its within the allowed time period.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I'm not sure if this is an issue with iOS 16 or all iPhones 14 pros, but there is stuttering with most of my games on this new phone. It's supposed to be the fastest SoC in a phone yet it's stuttering and dropping frames in games like Terraria or Monster Hunter Stories. I have around 40 games and only 5 of them are working without frame drops and stutters.

My friend's iPhone 14 PM is having this same problem. My old iPhone XS max is smoother. Does anyone know whats causing it or if this can be fixed in an update?
I’m getting that with my 14Pro. And I’m talking lite games, like Candy Crush Jelly and the like. It’s really, really bad.

Jodany

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
I play games on my ipad pro but sinces it's not allowed in competitions, bought 14pro max..Sadly Games like Cod, PubgM, Genshin are lagging wayy too much...my ipad pro performs smoother by a mile

Jodany

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
It isn't a chip issue though, because it appears on iPads running on M2 chips as well. It's something to do with adaptive refresh rate conflicting with in-app FPS settings.
I think this happened with 13pro max but later on got fixed, so maybe it's still fixable for 14pro,pm users

Neylo

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
It's been a year and the problem still persists, it seems that it is a hardware problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.