Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Well, I’ve owned this phone for just over 2 weeks now, and I have to say, the metal edges sure are easy to scratch. I’m not surprised as it seems like every black iPhone back to the 5 has this issue, but just a PSA to those who have or are thinking about buying the space black Pro this year.

I scratched a piece of the space black finish off with my nail by accident just in normal use, and then left a scratch/scuff from front to back on the side while taking it out/putting it into an Apple leather case. So, like always with the black iPhones, don’t look at it wrong or you’ll scratch it!

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
That’s why if you do decide to go caseless, which I do not advise, the best colour to go for is Silver as there is no paint finish rendering the frame far more durable.
Definitely. I can’t imagine the purple or gold is any better. This is my first pro iPhone, though I came from a space grey Xs. Space grey even makes it harder to spot scuffs as it’s not much darker than silver. I guess space grey was Apple’s answer to the easily scratched slate 5 after all though, so makes sense.

Reactions: Andeddu
That’s why if you do decide to go caseless, which I do not advise, the best colour to go for is Silver as there is no paint finish rendering the frame far more durable.
Definitely. I can’t imagine the purple or gold is any better. This is my first pro iPhone, though I came from a space grey Xs. Space grey even makes it harder to spot scuffs as it’s not much darker than silver. I guess space grey was Apple’s answer to the easily scratched slate 5 after all though, so makes sense.
I went to the Apple Store last month to check out the Silver iPhone. After analyzing the silver iPhone stainless steel scratches easily as well. You can see it very well under the light. I was a bit disappointed. Over time, scratches, and scuffs will appear. My best advice would be is to don't use your iPhone too roughly, avoid hard surfaces and continue to use Apple Polishing Cloth to wipe down the stainless steel.

Hopefully, next year iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max titanium will be more durable. The stainless steel has got to go.

1666709574995.jpeg

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I went to the Apple Store last month to check out the Silver iPhone. After analyzing the silver iPhone stainless steel scratches easily as well. You can see it very well under the light. I was a bit disappointed. Over time, scratches, and scuffs will appear. My best advice would be is to don't use your iPhone too roughly, avoid hard surfaces and continue to use Apple Polishing Cloth to wipe down the stainless steel.

Hopefully, next year iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max titanium will be more durable. The stainless steel has got to go.

View attachment 2101722
Yes, it’s still easy to scratch however it’s not as noticeable from a distance as there is no paint to chip. Once the paint chips, the appearance of the phone begins to degrade quickly.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

View attachment 2101722

The silver frame actually scratches quite easier due to the lack of PVD coating, but it's the only finish that scratches can be buffed out with a cape cod cloth, so I find that a major plus for it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

I'd rather Apple keep the stainless steel as it is. Whenever I've owned a silver iPhone it was easy to *completely* buff out minor contact marks and light scratches on the frame with a Cape Cod polishing cloth. Obviously, this won't work on the glass though.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I have always used Space Black and never had any problems. After one year my 13PM still looked like new. No scratches or scuffs and always get top dollar when trading.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Well, I’ve owned this phone for just over 2 weeks now, and I have to say, the metal edges sure are easy to scratch. I’m not surprised as it seems like every black iPhone back to the 5 has this issue, but just a PSA to those who have or are thinking about buying the space black Pro this year.

I scratched a piece of the space black finish off with my nail by accident just in normal use, and then left a scratch/scuff from front to back on the side while taking it out/putting it into an Apple leather case. So, like always with the black iPhones, don’t look at it wrong or you’ll scratch it!
Any pictures of this? I was thinking of space black.

Reactions: aPple nErd

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
The gold seems to resist scratches very well. I’ve taken mine in and out of cases many times to try them out and dropped it once from about 3 feet onto tile (while in a case). Took off the case and inspected it.. not a single mark. I’m impressed. This is my first time ever buying a gold model. I guess I could see black scratching easily due to the coating.

• Haha
Reactions: dustin_

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The gold seems to resist scratches very well. I’ve taken mine in and out of cases many times to try them out and dropped it once from about 3 feet onto tile (while in a case). Took off the case and inspected it.. not a single mark. I’m impressed. This is my first time ever buying a gold model. I guess I could see black scratching easily due to the coating.
All colours are resistant to scratches if you use a case. I have a black 12 Mini in impeccable condition despite dropping it many times onto tile/concrete. If you use a phone naked, Silver would be the only way to go IMO.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Interesting because I too have space black and clearly my fingerprint Edit: Err..I meant Fingernail does not scratch or peel off the coating. Must be a defective to begin with or something hard got in your nail that caused the scratch?

Last edited:

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
All colours are resistant to scratches if you use a case. I have a black 12 Mini in impeccable condition despite dropping it many times onto tile/concrete. If you use a phone naked, Silver would be the only way to go IMO.
This is comparing aluminum to stainless steel though. It’s no question that stainless steel scratches very easily compared to aluminum, despite there being coating or not.

Reactions: aPple nErd

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
The PVD finish came off with your nails ? 😳
Any pictures of this? I was thinking of space black.

A7FF9454-03EC-4E99-BC35-CB6B859B7FFC_1_201_a.jpeg
CDD52CFF-0C04-491E-B4C1-177A7F3FF722_1_201_a.jpeg
DBA2EFED-0C15-4387-8D68-DFFD6AF0EE39_1_201_a.jpeg
492BB919-60B6-40FB-8E9D-B0928EB4FE72_1_201_a.jpeg

First 2 show where something I guess got trapped between the Apple case and the phone, and as I was pulling it out of the case or pushing it in, it scratched into the side.

Second 2 show where my nail scraped along the edge and the finish actually came off. Now, my nails are in the photos. Maybe a little longer than I normally keep them, but it wasn't as if I had just trimmed them and not used a file. I could actually feel the finish scrape off under my nail. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed it honestly due to how small it is. But again, just a PSA type post, I'm not very surprised, because it seems like every single year, the black phones scratch/scuff very easily.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Of course, now with the close-up shots, I'm noticing the machining of the metal is visible between the display and the metal sides... QC really isn't great this year. 😬

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
I don't think titanium is happening next year tbh especially with the war in ukraine

considering picking up a space black 14 pro just because the edges blend in with the screen better

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
View attachment 2101852 View attachment 2101853 View attachment 2101855 View attachment 2101858

First 2 show where something I guess got trapped between the Apple case and the phone, and as I was pulling it out of the case or pushing it in, it scratched into the side.

Second 2 show where my nail scraped along the edge and the finish actually came off. Now, my nails are in the photos. Maybe a little longer than I normally keep them, but it wasn't as if I had just trimmed them and not used a file. I could actually feel the finish scrape off under my nail. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed it honestly due to how small it is. But again, just a PSA type post, I'm not very surprised, because it seems like every single year, the black phones scratch/scuff very easily.
I’m sure Apple will replace this if you can demonstrate the finish coming off with nails ? PS nice nails 💅 very aristocratic.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Of course, now with the close-up shots, I'm noticing the machining of the metal is visible between the display and the metal sides... QC really isn't great this year. 😬
My 12PM and 13PM was like that at the top , sometimes it’s the top , bottom or left or right side. Since there will be slight gap somewhere between glass and frame else there won’t be space for expansion or removal.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I have to disagree. The space black finish on my X was rather difficult to wear off, the glass on the back scuffed more easily than the steel. However, if you want to go naked, for me, blank steel, aka silver, is the way to go. It wears rather nicely over time.

WoodTableFromIkea

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
Florida
Dear diary,

The phone I use everyday, with no case or cover mind you, is now damaged after I've put it in and out of my pockets/backpack/briefcase dozens or hundreds of times. What to do, oh what to do?

Sincerely yours,
aPple nErd

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021

View attachment 2101722
Be careful what you wish for…

Stainless Seel is harder and more scratch resistant than titanium. Titanium also deforms easier than stainless steel so it dents easier. It’s is lighter than stainless steel, but given the choice I go stainless steel all the time.

Both my two last iPhones were silver stainless steel. You can buff it out to resell in but the scratches are so light it is actually attractive as it gets worn. Like my stainless steel apple watch - also in silver.

Be careful what you wish for…

Stainless Seel is harder and more scratch resistant than titanium. Titanium also deforms easier than stainless steel so it dents easier. It’s is lighter than stainless steel, but given the choice I go stainless steel all the time.

Both my two last iPhones were silver stainless steel. You can buff it out to resell in but the scratches are so light it is actually attractive as it gets worn. Like my stainless steel apple watch - also in silver.
I currently own Apple Watch 6/7/Ultra. All Titanium models. Extremely happy with the Titanium. It’s more premium, exclusive, and durable than Stainless Steel. With the Titanium material, you do not see little micro scuffs/scratches. Especially with the Space Black Titanium. It has that DLC coating applied. I’m pretty sure Apple will be using a Titanium frame for the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max line up.

Attachments

• 669AEC76-1501-4E03-9917-4310DABE1991.png
    669AEC76-1501-4E03-9917-4310DABE1991.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 255
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.