Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max last week, some early adopters of the devices said they have experienced an issue that prevents them from being heard at a suitable volume during phone calls initiated via CarPlay in a vehicle.

CarPlay-Phone-Call.jpg

Affected users have documented this problem across the MacRumors Forums, Reddit, Twitter, and the Apple Support Community over the past three to four days. Most of the users said that after calling someone via CarPlay with an iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max, their voice sounded quiet or far away on the receiving end of the call.

The majority of complaints are from users with an iPhone 14 Pro or Pro Max running iOS 16.0.1, but at least one user said the issue also appears to affect the standard iPhone 14, and there are also comments claiming that downgrading to iOS 16.0 does not help.

MacRumors was able to reproduce the issue by making a phone call via wired CarPlay in a 2022 Honda Civic with an iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.0.1. The issue did not occur with a regular hands-free Bluetooth call with the same device in the vehicle.

It's unclear what the cause of the issue is or how many users are affected, but it seems to be yet another bug affecting iPhone 14 models. Apple is already planning to release an iOS 16 update next week with fixes for issues with the rear camera on iPhone 14 Pro models vibrating uncontrollably in select apps, iPhone 14 Pro models freezing after a data transfer from another iPhone, and excessive copy and paste permission prompts.

We reached out to Apple to ask if it is aware of this issue, but the company did not immediately respond to our request for comment. We will share any additional information about this issue, including any response from Apple, as it becomes available.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Pro Users Experiencing Issue With CarPlay Phone Calls

Last edited:

spunkybart

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
I think I experienced this issue today, not with CarPlay but when using just plain ole' AirPods. I could barely hear the other person and had to switch to holding the phone to my ear.

• Sad
Reactions: Huck

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
Too bad Apple wouldn't separate the launch of a new iOS and a new iPhone.
It would be better to launch a new iOS in January and a new phone in September. :rolleyes:
So in cases like the iPhone 14, where they have a truly brand new feature - dynamic island - you’d want them to have like an iOS 15.7 for 4 months just to support that? If anything I’d say flip your theory and say new OS in September and new device in January

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Good god, how many issues are we up to now? Like six since launch?

None of these seem to be effecting any devices other than the iPhone 14 Pro (loving iOS 16 on my 13 Pro). Seems like the simultaneous development of new hardware and software is becoming problematic.

You don’t usually see these messy launches with the iPads/MacBooks that get launched in the Spring.

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
What is going on?!? So many issues with the iPhone 14/Pros!!! Apple can do better than this I know it!!!

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Ideally, I would wait to get a new iPhone until after the .1 or .2 release. But then if I wait, then it’s sold out every where for weeks.

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
I know that when new iPhones have launched in the past, there have been bugs, but this year seems like there are way more than usual.

Reactions: SqlInjection

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Jesus, what a distaster bingo this launch.
It honestly felt a very bitter taste in my mouth (gotten a 14 pro).

I'm tempted to return the phone and just buy it later, as there's a slight buzz coming from the cameras (different sound from the shaking shown on videos).
I'm waiting for tuesday to see if the teased patch will improve it.
If not IU'll get a refund and place my order again (despite the delivery being around mid-november by that time.

Reactions: Huck

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
With my iPhone 13 Pro I've been noticing that when I answer a call with CarPlay it takes about 5 seconds before the other person can hear me talking. I can hear them, but they can't hear me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.