Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Wasn't that issue caused more by the curved display than by the size of the bezels?
It was really caused by a lack of bezels. I used a thinner case that covered the curve and it was still a problem for me. I ended up having to use a bigass samsung case to mostly fix it for me. The case was fine but it made the phone a bit heavy.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Seems the only difference between a Pro and Non Pro (if you wait a couple of years),..is the price!

Obviously.

Current iPhone is more powerful than the iPad Pro a few years ago.

The only difference between a mother and a daughter is waiting a couple of years also.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
How do you think, wiil we have Another upgrade fiasco as last year?. I changed my 13pro for a 14Pm basically for the Max size (my eyes are not what they used to be in the iphone 3 age!), but it feels the saaaame and the camera is a little worse in some situations with a lot of oversharpening and very bad photos of text. The raw photos is something I had also in the 13pro and seldom used, now, after the hype passed, I feel a little cheated by Apple marketing, but that is me. Anyone thinking that the 15 is going to be worth the change to be called an "upgrade"?.
Besides the action button and tiny bezel changes Inhave no heear of any change.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Give me 2 more gigas of RAM in the Pro line and I can consider updating to it, but if the extra RAM comes in the "ultra" price segment, forget it Apple. I would swtich to a S24...

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
How do you think, wiil we have Another upgrade fiasco as last year?. I changed my 13pro for a 14Pm basically for the Max size (my eyes are not what they used to be in the iphone 3 age!), but it feels the saaaame and the camera is a little worse in some situations with a lot of oversharpening and very bad photos of text. The raw photos is something I had also in the 13pro and seldom used, now, after the hype passed, I feel a little cheated by Apple marketing, but that is me. Anyone thinking that the 15 is going to be worth the change to be called an "upgrade"?.
Besides the action button and tiny bezel changes Inhave no heear of any change.
I suggest that you wait 2-3 years between upgrades, then you notice the differences, and some some money in the meantime.

Reactions: SFjohn

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

The standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus will be equipped with frosted back glass like existing Pro models, according to a Weibo post last week from the same account that accurately leaked that iPhone 14 models would be launching in Yellow.

iPhone-15-Frosted-Glass-Emoji.jpg

With frosted glass, the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus would look more similar to the Pro models. However, only the iPhone 15 Pro models are rumored to be getting a new titanium frame and even thinner bezels around the display, whereas the standard models are still expected to have an aluminum frame and the same bezel size.

The rear glass panel on the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus is officially removable for the first time since the iPhone 4S, making internal repairs easier. It's unlikely that a switch to frosted glass would impact this design aspect.

It's common for features and design elements that are initially exclusive to Pro models to trickle down to the lower-end iPhone models over the years. For example, OLED displays were only available on the Pro models until the iPhone 12 lineup, while the Dynamic Island is expected to be expanded to the entire iPhone 15 lineup this year.

While the source of this rumor accurately leaked that the iPhone 14 would launch in Yellow a few months in advance, they do not have a long-term established track record, so there is no guarantee that their latest information will prove to be correct. Nevertheless, the source's accuracy in the past makes this rumor worth sharing.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 15 lineup in September as usual.

Article Link: iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus Rumored to Feature Frosted Glass Like Pro Models
It's called parts consolidation, it's cheaper and one way for Apple to try and keep the price rises to a minimum, I doubt it will affect anyones purchase decision.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
I would honestly not mind if they started to differentiate the models by no longer using glass on the standard iPhone.

Personally I enjoyed the bio-resin on the Pixel 5 over an aluminium body way more than the glass on my iPhone, which is both heavier and more prone to breaking.

It's pointless to use 'premium' materials that 90+% of people will never see or feel because the phone is in a case.
Unless u use a clear case and I feel it every time I clean it 😊
Surprising everybody just doesn't buy the Pixel 🤣

• Haha
Apr 12, 2023
It's called parts consolidation, it's cheaper and one way for Apple to try and keep the price rises to a minimum, I doubt it will affect anyones purchase decision.
That don't matter in this case as the backs on the regular iPhone are different than the pro model. Camera location and quantity. So, it's not really parts consolidation. It's streamlining the look of the entire series. Keep the aluminum frame and 2 cameras for the regular phone but make it "look" more "pro".

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
The biggest thing that I disliked about my old Galaxy Note 20 Ultra was the thin bezels. It made it so easy to screw up typing because the palm of my hand would touch the shift and number buttons. It happens from time to time on my 15PM, but not nearly as much. To make the Note 20 Ultra usable, I had to put a huge case on it that made it like it had bezels.
None issue on the iPhone's, they have flat screens, not rounded

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
I miss the days of actual improvement. But they are gone like my youth.
Fact is, every new phone is better, the only question is by how much 😊
IMO a lot of people have become unrealistically demanding, the only things that need improving, is the telephoto & Ultra wide camera's and the photon engine, stop over exposing, better skin tone recognition and the damn flares in night time photography, make the phones thicker, but lighter with lighter material and get rid of the camera bumps and at the same time improve battery back to at least 13 Pro levels.....but I doubt, all this will happen on the 15 Pro's 😏
If it does, I'm in 😊

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
As long it doesn't up to the final price i don't care.
It will!
Buying flagship devices has ended for many due to the constant price increases in the last years. Buying a previous year non-Pro model is the new normal, as it is far better value-for-money proposition. Many people I know decided to upgrade their 5-6 years old iPhones with 1-2 years old models, which is a very decent upgrade for a fraction of the price of the newest and greatest iPhone.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
That don't matter in this case as the backs on the regular iPhone are different than the pro model. Camera location and quantity. So, it's not really parts consolidation. It's streamlining the look of the entire series. Keep the aluminum frame and 2 cameras for the regular phone but make it "look" more "pro".
True to an extent, however, they won't need 2 different finishing process's, which will definitely save money

Apr 12, 2023
True to an extent, however, they won't need 2 different finishing process's, which will definitely save money
Which will make apple more money and not pass on the savings to the consumer...for sure! Apple will spin that as a feature "same frosted glass as the pro" Not, we saved you some money by frosting the glass in the same process of the pro. ha ha.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
Which will make apple more money and not pass on the savings to the consumer...for sure! Apple will spin that as a feature "same frosted glass as the pro" Not, we saved you some money by frosting the glass in the same process of the pro. ha ha.
We've had prices frozen for the last 2 years, despite everything going up by 20/30%, energy by 400%.
An increase in price is inevitable, just a question of how much Apple can keep it down!

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
you just know they're absolutely SCRAMBLING for a way to raise the price by another $100.

It'd just have to start doing all my household chores without exception and maybe convert into a private plane

The way the 14 series STARTS from 1019 €, I don't think EU will ever be back to remotely adequate prices unless the day comes they slash 40% off that lol.
Not unless Western EU vote in economically competent governments, wokeness costs everybody 😏

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Maybe Apple are about to stop promoting basic features like VRR as 'Pro' and finally put them into all models? If a £200 Android Phone can have something like a 90hz screen then so can the base iPhone. Its not that 60hz is bad, if anything the base iPhone is still a great handset. Its rather than Apple have stagnated by putting 'nice to have' features on their top models and calling them 'Pro' features instead of anything truly cutting edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.