Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Well, you never know, you might be spot on. It could well be they have some good ideas in the pipeline, just not very many of them, so they are spacing them out so they can keep selling phones. Let's hope that's not the case.
what are you talking about, this is totally the case! it's not like fast wireless charging technology doesn't yet exist, they just decided to cripple it so they can have something "new" to tout about next year. it's good business, just sucks for the consumer

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I’m gonna switch to a brand that’s giving me more bang for the buck. Let’s be honest, almost every midrange Android has 120hz screen refresh and a decent camera. This lack of innovation for a supposed to be premium brand has reached the tipping point for me. iPhone is like Siri, it’s the same as the year before, before, before, before and before. I’m living in Europe and the cost of owning an iPhone is almost double as in the USA. It’s not even worth considering anymore. What a boring update and lady like color scheme or should I say color shame.
I think it’ll be the best decision you make! It’s a far gone conclusion by now that iPhones are only for folks that are into the iOS ecosystem, because that’s the only thing one can’t easily replicate on an Android phone.

Reactions: SilverWalker

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
For a 3 trillion dollar tech company, it's surprising that they manage to always be behind everyone else. At least the new CPU is 10% faster though :rolleyes:
For a 3 trillion dollar tech company… one doesn’t even have to go any further in the sentence, apparently being behind everyone is is the right thing to be LOL

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
It essentially says fast charging is naturally detrimental to the battery, primarily due to the heat generated. As a result, companies have to deal with that heat and they’ve done so in different ways. In the end, fast charging phones haven’t been on the market long enough to confirm that one method or another is actually successful in limiting battery degradation. If the issue is JUST the heat, it will be borne out. If it’s due to some other process, there will be lucky users helping us to understand more about how fast charging affects batteries. :)

Update: I guess I can understand why they’d hedge their bets, the legal machine being what it is…

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverWalker

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
WTF... what about innovations? With all that money why cant you make this work?
So what do you dudes call Ultra Wideband 2? Literally an innovation, and no other smartphone and watch pairing has it. Same with a half dozen other developments, but if you don’t get some blinkin new lights you fail to see it.

morrison22

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
Will the official 30W USB-C Power Adapter with the 2m USB-C Charging Cable increase the fast charging speed on an iPhone 15 Pro vs the 20W USB-C Power Adapter? I’m not sure what the maximum wattage is for the iPhone 15 Pro.

Last edited:

Jamie0003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Really strange. On apples tech specs page, there’s no mention of qi2 anywhere, it just mentions 7.5w with MagSafe/normal wireless charging. I wonder if qi2 will come via a software update later? As at the moment, there aren’t any qi2 chargers on the market

Jamie0003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
iPhone 15 Pro/Max is such a mid upgrade. I just compared the 14 Pro Tech Page (made a screenshot) vs new specs. Exactly the same camera minus the periscope. Same display.. no mention for bigger batteries. The bezel is hairline thinner. No mention for more RAM. Up to 10% more CPU perf. over A16 and 20% GPU. The "cool" thing is the RayTracing (which was scrapped from A16), but still I can't care less for it. I don't even use it much on my desktop PC with RTX 4090.

I expected the biggest disappointment to be Watch S9, but surprise surprise it's pretty solid! I'm even thinking to upgrade from S8.
You’re not the target market for these devices. Most people don’t blow their money on a new phone / watch every year. For me I’m on an X, and this has literally everything I want.

By the way, it has 8 gigs of memory also.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
This update is meant for those who still holding on to their iPhone 12 and earlier models.
Yeah, except the prices are meant for those who are actually willing to pay for PRO devices. The general disappointment is due to the serious lack of PRO in that Pro. So much old tech in the latest iPhones.

More and more people, me included, are peering over the fence at Android, wondering if it's worth the jump.

This reminds me of the 2016-2020 era Macs, which had many professionals jumping ship to Windows, due to the woeful design decisions. The swath of people jumping ship, particularly from creative professionals and corporates, made Apple sit up and take notice. They set about correcting this, inviting many of those professionals to work in Apple's offices, so they could communicate daily about their real needs and wants. Thus, to Apple's credit, we saw the Intel 16" MBP and Mac Pro, followed by the largely fantastic M-series machines.

iPhones, however, gah. The only thing preventing iPhone users from jumping ship is the lack of credibly superior alternatives to jump to.

I spot a huge gaping opportunity in the market. If only someone was actually capable of producing a phone that was: -
- Beautifully designed.
- Fantastically functional without any annoying junkware.
- Worked smoothly and reliably, giving us the "it just works" that Apple seemingly abandoned years ago.
- Is truly designed by someone who just wants to make the best possible phones, rather than the most profitable.
- With a range of colours to delight all buyers, rather than foisting an effeminate (and yet not quite exactly feminine), pastel range emanating from a narrow ideology.

Please let me know if it exists, I'm not super familiar with the Android options, but AFAIK, they all more or less lack one or other of the above, just as iPhones do.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Yeah, except the prices are meant for those who are actually willing to pay for PRO devices. The general disappointment is due to the serious lack of PRO in that Pro. So much old tech in the latest iPhones.

More and more people, me included, are peering over the fence at Android, wondering if it's worth the jump.

This reminds me of the 2016-2020 era Macs, which had many professionals jumping ship to Windows, due to the woeful design decisions. The swath of people jumping ship, particularly from creative professionals and corporates, made Apple sit up and take notice. They set about correcting this, inviting many of those professionals to work in Apple's offices, so they could communicate daily about their real needs and wants. Thus, to Apple's credit, we saw the Intel 16" MBP and Mac Pro, followed by the largely fantastic M-series machines.

iPhones, however, gah. The only thing preventing iPhone users from jumping ship is the lack of credibly superior alternatives to jump to.

I spot a huge gaping opportunity in the market. If only someone was actually capable of producing a phone that was: -
- Beautifully designed.
- Fantastically functional without any annoying junkware.
- Worked smoothly and reliably, giving us the "it just works" that Apple seemingly abandoned years ago.
- Is truly designed by someone who just wants to make the best possible phones, rather than the most profitable.
- With a range of colours to delight all buyers, rather than foisting an effeminate (and yet not quite exactly feminine), pastel range emanating from a narrow ideology.

Please let me know if it exists, I'm not super familiar with the Android options, but AFAIK, they all more or less lack one or other of the above, just as iPhones do.

The Pixel and the Nothing phone are pretty close and cheaper than the iPhone. There’s some beautiful phones coming out of China with amazing hardware, unfortunately they suffer from the obvious issues we all know so I won’t get into it.

Will be interesting to see what improvements the 15 pro series made to the cameras, right now some of the flagship Chinese phones are quite a ways ahead. It will take a big effort on Apple’s part to catch up and surpass them, and I don’t think they will anytime soon.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
The Pixel and the Nothing phone are pretty close and cheaper than the iPhone. There’s some beautiful phones coming out of China with amazing hardware, unfortunately they suffer from the obvious issues we all know so I won’t get into it.

Will be interesting to see what improvements the 15 pro series made to the cameras, right now some of the flagship Chinese phones are quite a ways ahead. It will take a big effort on Apple’s part to catch up and surpass them, and I don’t think they will anytime soon.
I have a friend with a Pixel 6, which isn't even the latest, and he's shown me some of the cool stuff it can do, which has me jealous as. However, I think they look ugly and plasticy. I am tempted though.

I've never heard of the Nothing phone, I'll check it out.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016

Those Nothing phones look really cool. Only in iPhone Max size though, no good for me, damn it, otherwise I'd be seriously interested.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Some companies have announced Qi2 chargers that can charge at up to 15W, the same as MagSafe, but it does not appear that Apple's iPhones will support the faster 15W Qi2 charging functionality.
I sure wish a citation or source was sited for this statement, as the entire point of Qi2 is to enable more efficient transfer for higher power charging.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
You’re not up to date with the latest technological advancements it seems. New battery tech doesn’t degenerate much anymore with fast charging.

To clarify, the batteries generally degrade the same. The physical structure of the phone and charging architecture are a lot better at controlling the charging rate based on acceptance of charge (such as the current battery level) and heat control.

This is why charging is often listed with a best case, e.g. 0-50% charge in 30 minutes. After 50%, or in warmer environments, the charging rate will go down significantly.

Apple likely could charge faster, but are optimizing for battery longevity. After all, they do replace batteries often at or below cost once they hit a certain level of degradation.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Well, USB-C 2.0 at 0.48 Gbps is year 2000 tech. So they're keep some very rusty old bullets in that chamber. I suspect they will jam, and the base iPhones will be stuck at USB-C 2.0 for a while.
The A17 Pro is the first chip iPhone chip with USB3 HCI. The USB 2 speeds are based on the A16 having USB 2 hardware support.

Presumably when an iPhone model has something newer than the A16, it will also have something newer than USB 2 support.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The A17 Pro is the first chip iPhone chip with USB3 HCI. The USB 2 speeds are based on the A16 having USB 2 hardware support.

Presumably when an iPhone model has something newer than the A16, it will also have something newer than USB 2 support.
They did that on purpose. A15 has USB 3 speed in the iPad mini.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
The Mini 6 hasn't had a full teardown with chip identification, unfortunately; they could have used a USB3 controller out of package for all we know.

Reactions: xpxp2002

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
The Mini 6 hasn't had a full teardown with chip identification, unfortunately; they could have used a USB3 controller out of package for all we know.
Right. Same for the Lightning-port iPad Pros, which also supported USB3 (even though nobody talks about it when trying to justify the "need" to switch to USB-C).

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
The A1* chipsets has no connection with connectivity. Even A14 had USB3 via USB-C on Air 4. It's separate controller. Nothing on the A1* die itself. No idea why the said it on the presentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.