Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Users still want a "mini" form factor iPhone, but a complete redesign is the most-desired feature from the iPhone 15 lineup, according to a survey conducted by SellCell.

iPhone-14-vs-iPhone-15-Feature.jpg

SellCell asked over 2,500 iPhone users in the United States to gather its data. The most popular Apple device to buy over the holiday period this year is the iPhone, with 37.4 percent of survey respondents planning to buy one for Christmas. AirPods take second place with 18.7 percent of respondents, followed by the Apple Watch with 16.3 percent. The HomePod mini is the least popular Apple device to buy for Christmas, with just 2.9 percent of respondents planning to purchase one. It is also worth noting that 40.6 percent of respondents had no plans to by an Apple device for the holidays.

holidays-2022-sellcell-survey.jpg

When asked if they had plans to upgrade to an iPhone 14 model, 13.6 percent of respondents said they had already done so – but a further 29.7 percent still have plans to do so in the immediate future. Of the 56.7 percent who have no plans to upgrade, 45.3 percent said they plan to hold onto their current device for longer, and 5.1 percent said that they are waiting for the launch of the iPhone 15 lineup next year. 2.4 percent of respondents are apparently waiting for the launch of the fourth-generation iPhone SE. 59.4 percent of respondents who plan to buy an iPhone 14 model say they are happy to wait five weeks to get hold of a new device.

iphone-14-upgrade-sellcell-survey-chart.jpg

When asked specifically if they liked the iPhone 14 Plus, 20.4 percent of respondents said that they already had one or planned to buy one soon. 22.5 percent said that it is too expensive, 12.1 percent said it is too big, 7.8 percent said that it had a poor mix of features compared to the iPhone 14 Pro, 6.6 percent said that the price is too near that of the iPhone 14 Pro, and 6.6 percent said that they would have preferred a smaller, "iPhone mini" form factor device.

iphone-14-plus-sellcell-survey-chart.jpg

Looking to the iPhone 15 models, aesthetics were at the forefront of the survey responses when asked what they most want from next year's new iPhone lineup. 35.2 percent of respondents said that they are most eager to see a design overhaul for the device, while 30.3 percent most want to see new color options.

28.8 percent want to see the return of accessories like EarPods and a power adapter, 23.9 want the iPhone 15 to have a periscope zoom camera, 23.6 percent would like to see the return of Touch ID, 20.3 percent want the iPhone to switch to USB-C, and 11.7 percent want the Dynamic Island to expand across the entire range of iPhone 15 models. 8.5 percent want to see the "mini" form factor make a return in the iPhone 15 lineup, which makes sense given that 6.6 percent of people who will not buy the iPhone 14 Plus refuse to because they prefer smaller devices.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Redesign Tops Users' Wish Lists, But 'Mini' Form Factor Still Has Its Fans

Last edited:

danielsmu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
To upgrade I either need my iPhone 12 Pro to slow down and/or have much worse battery life or I need the iPhone 15 to have something more compelling than the dynamic island.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I hold out hope for the return of the mini form factor, perhaps some day when it comes with the "Dynamic Island" feature as well. In the mean time, I will roll with my fantastic 13 mini; at the end of 2023 I might pay for a battery replacement to make her run like new again.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Apple don't want people to have premium feel in Smaller iPhone. Apple should rename Mini to SE. Keep IPS instead of OLED to reduce the cost.

Reactions: Marshall73

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
So 1 in 12 users want the mini back. Given that Apple currently has “only” 8 different iPhone models on sale (not counting color/storage variants) (and which includes the mini 13 at present), it may be a tough call.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Instead of iPhone 14 Plus, Apple should have released iPhone 14 Mini with better battery life and camera. Maybe Apple will introduce iPhone Mini in Spring 2023 Apple Event. (include it with the iPhone SE line up).
Apple's objective was to increase the price points/upsell people. The sizes are seemingly just side effects of that goal.

The original objective was to increase the price of the regular iPhone from $699 (iPhone 11) to $799 (iPhone 12) without anybody's noticing. Enter the 12 mini, a smaller phone, to become the stand in for that $699 price point. Thus people think iPhone still starts at $699, but they ended up buying the $799 iPhone. Genius.

Now that's done, next goal is to upsell people into buying the Pro iPhones at $999 price point. How? By inserting an $899 iPhone 14 Plus. Bigger, but now you are inching closer to $999. And it worked! Apple cannot make enough 14 Pros/Pro Maxes! Tim Cook is happy.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Small iPhone fans are a very small group of very vocal people. You can’t go by what is posted on social media or forms like this as a judge to what people want. Apple learned that the hard way.
They didnt learn that the hard way, they just dont care about the actual LARGE group of very vocal people.

If you want to have some kind of giant sized brick in your pants bulging out of your front pockets in public and look ridiculous, you have a plethora of choices for that. Many of us don't want that and have basically ZERO options.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Small iPhone fans are a very small group of very vocal people. You can’t go by what is posted on social media or forms like this as a judge to what people want. Apple learned that the hard way.
Everyone in my extended family has a small phone. And they don't upgrade very often because a phone is just a phone. They all use computers when computers are needed and tablets when tablets are needed.

Now I completely understand that if one can only afford one device, then a large phone is needed or that a small phone is not a positive fashion statement. Now it is time for all of the laid off tech workers to realize that having the latest and greatest so you can brag to your friends is not so important when you don't have a job.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
A complete re-design iPhone is long overdue. I'm talking Titanium frame, frosted glass cameras, flushed volume/power buttons, Product Red iPhone Pro Max.
Titanium? Hope you like fingerprint smudges (see: PowerBook G4.) Personally I was hoping to see the ceramic watch enclosure spill over to the phone casing (as opposed to the “ceramic shield” glass front.)

I think the bulk of people choose “form factor” as their upgrade priority because the phone itself has matured to the point where no one has a clue what more you can add to it to make it compelling enough to sell on its own.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Polls are one thing, but I felt like I was casting my vote for the mini form factor when I purchased the 13 mini this week from Apple.
The problem with these polls is who are they polling? In order for them to be accurate they would have to be polling people that have iPhones and only those people. The only way to do that would be to get ahold of Apple‘s customer list and I don’t think MacRumors has done that.

Also, they couldn’t poll just people in this form because for one this form attracts “different people” let’s just say that and the rest of us are a bunch of tech nerds. The answers a tech nerd is going to give are going to be completely different than the average person buying an iPhone. What I want or think about in an iPhone is not the same as the average person.

This is why you will see people on here talking about smaller iPhones but I’ve never met such a person in real life. They’re out there I’m sure, but not many of them. Most people don’t look at things like refresh rates and USB-C. I’ve talked to people about iPhones and they don’t care at all about that. I hate to say it, but they’re mostly looking at advertisements and if the new one looks cool. The color of the new iPhone is more important than USB-C.

Reactions: msp3

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
At 8% of the iPhone sales share, the iPhone Mini probably sold many times more than any Google Pixel, and probably anything at all short of the Samsung Galaxy and maybe a Huawei model that never left China. That alone should justify its continued existence.

Not everything has to the best-most-seller. I've been hearing "Apple should discontinue iPad Mini" for what feels like a decade… people love them, people buy them. And if the iPhone Mini drops to a once-every-three-year cadence like the iPad Mini… that sounds great! That's exactly the right update cycle for most people and their phones.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The only redesign that’s going to happen with iPhone 15 Pro/Max is to improve repairability. People hoping for a form factor refresh will be disappointed.

iPhone 14 received major internal redesign with the removable rear glass. They’ll likely bring that over to the 15 Pro/Max.

On the other hand, the 16 will likely be clean sheet.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Everyone in my extended family has a small phone. And they don't upgrade very often because a phone is just a phone. They all use computers when computers are needed and tablets when tablets are needed.

Now I completely understand that if one can only afford one device, then a large phone is needed or that a small phone is not a positive fashion statement. Now it is time for all of the laid off tech workers to realize that having the latest and greatest so you can brag to your friends is not so important when you don't have a job.
Maybe the people in your family are tech people? No one I’ve ever met on android or iOS wanted a smaller phone. Even older people who at first would gravitate to smaller phones, figured out quickly that they can’t see what’s on the screen. In the USA I don’t think it’s about people can’t afford multiple devices because even what we consider poor people in the USA can easily afford $1000+ phones. In other countries, that’s not always the case.

Most of the people I know don’t use a computer or tablet. Their phone has replaced all of that. If they’re in school then I’ll have a laptop but other than that no it’s just on the phone. I have even asked some of these people. Wouldn’t you want an iPad or tablet to watch movies because it’s a larger screen? The answer is always no, my phone screen is big enough. I personally have an iPad to watch movies or shows because I enjoy the bigger screen but the normal people I know that aren’t tech nerds just use their phone. They pay their bills and do everything else with the phone. I will admit some of my nerdier friends have a tablet or computer. Even with some of them it’s usually just a PC to play games and everything else is on the phone. Some of my crypto friends will have a laptop to do their stuff.

I think the reason is you will always have your phone with you. You can carry around an iPad or a laptop, but it doesn’t fit in your pocket so that means you have to carry around a separate bag or carry it in your hand, which is not ideal.

Reactions: msp3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.