Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
I can’t even count how many device I have that came with USB cables that cannot carry any data and are only wired for power. Apple shipping USB 2.0 speed cables is not the end of the world if the device still supports faster speeds. The actual percentage of iPhone users that use their cables for data transfer must be very small.
even if the cables are colored, users will need to easily find a reliable cable for hign speed data transfer and/or displayport capability for certain devices.

and they dont want to sort through 30 cables to find that one cable that did it all.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
Dude, EU regulations are not about transferring data,

EU regulations is about the environment and they should have known 2.0 cables will head to the trash sooner than 3.0 cables.

If they're going to mandate something that causes an increase demand for cables by the billions, they should at least specify a minimum spec to increase the lifetime usage of newly produced cables.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Don’t care about speeds, I’m just happy to read no MFI. Thank god, I just replaced all my aging usb chargers with 120w type c chargers and cables in prep for the new phone
Yep I feel like this hasn't got enough attention. If there's no MFi requirement then the phone should be compatible with a whole set of existing accessories out of the box.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
EU regulations is about the environment and they should have known 2.0 cables will head to the trash sooner than 3.0 cables.

If they're going to mandate something that causes an increase demand for cables by the billions, they should at least specify a minimum spec to increase the lifetime usage of newly produced cables.
It's also not about the cables at all. It's about the ports on the devices. And those devices includes lots of stuff that doesn't even have data capabilities. Like flashlights.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
To my ears, 2.0 speeds for the new, matching cables means 2.0 speeds for mid-tier iPhones 15 ports.

I hope I’m wrong.

But as we see across Apple’s product lineups, value/$ always has to be kept low enough to easily push the consumer up to a Pro.

So in other words, really not a lot of benefits for mid-tier 15 buyers moving to a USB-C iPhone. Well, apart from finally being able to ditch the arbitrarily proprietary Lightning and use any cable from all the products you already own.

But awesome if these are MFi-free and iPhones 15 play equally well with all USB-C cables, MFi or not.

>2.0 could still be MFi locked on the Pros. But we’ll see soon. 🤞

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Yep I feel like this hasn't got enough attention. If there's no MFi requirement then the phone should be compatible with a whole set of existing accessories out of the box.
Yeah exactly, and no limiting charging speeds. That would suck, as it would go against the whole point of switching to type c to begin with; MFI doesn’t currently exist on type c to type c cables so everyone would need to buy new ones, AS WELL AS chucking lightning cables

Nattsun

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2023
Who could have seen this EU-made disaster coming from a mile away? 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️

> EU mandates USB-C without specifying USB 3.0 minimum spec
> Apple ships billions of USB 2.0 cables with the box to keep costs down
> Users throw their USB-C 2.0 cables away when they realize these cables are slow, so instead of relying in AirDrop, they upgrade to an Anker USB3.0 cable
> Apple switches to portless phone several years later
> Users throw their USB3.0 cables away because portless iPhone is out and most of their other accessories are USB 4.1/5.0 with even better XYZ features

Meanwhile lightning hasn't changed one bit since ten years ago, did one thing really well: charge your iPhone, and there are billions of good functioning cables out there that didn't need to be thrown away before the portless iPhone.

Tell me again how this is a great idea for the environment.

As I predicted, big brain 5-head EU has absolutely no clue what they're doing. Thank them for the awfully annoying cookie popup on every single website too.
The "slow" USB-C cables will continue to function as durable charging cables for the abundance of other USB-C devices within/outside the Apple ecosystem—something Lightning is woefully incapable of. In other words, virtually no e-waste produced. Nice try, though.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
480Mbps not 480MBps (480MB/s)

480Megabits per second is 60Megabytes per second

Other than DFU/recovery, is there anyone that still uses the cable for data transfer?

I transferred via AirDrop 90GB of photos and videos from iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB to iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB and it took about 30 minutes to complete...

I am not sure if that is within the acceptable range based on the hardware of the two iPhones but with that convenience, I can't really say if I am greatly impacted by Apple limiting the data transfer to USB 2.0 or 480Mbps

Revireco87

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020

Come off it mate. How many people do you think use a cable to transfer data from their iphone? Pretty niche use case to build a 'Don't Tread on Me' tirade around. We all already have plenty of USB C cables for all our other Apple devices, so little need to create a huge amount more and that swappabilty increase utility (the whole point) not waste.

Also: taking an anti-regulatory position and then suggesting that the EU are idiots for not adding sufficient nuance to their regulation is a special kind of cognitive dissonance.

iFishishh

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
MR mods heads-rent free
Tim crook never failing to disappoint.
Throttle controlling cable speeds in response to having to switch to usb-c.
Excludes charging block upon new phone purchase in a claim for helping the environment.
Taking away ACMI options for sim-less phones.
Discontinuing support for older Apple products.
Gate keeping MLS streaming rights for Apple TV only.
Using the same exact design since the iPhone 12.
Their 30% revenue sharing tax for app devs
That’s just what I can recall rn anyone wish to add to the list?

Last edited:

originalsk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022

Sure, let's put more conditions into regulations, but then don't argue how strict EU is or how are the regulations outdated and they should demand specification XY. They gave Apple freedom of choice and Apple autonomously decided to screw customers. Shame on them, not EU.

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022

While I agree it would be better for consumer to mandate at least 3.0 speeds at the same time it seems like rather unnecessary interference to the free market. It would definitely drive cost of the low tier phones up.

And most importantly. Everyone charges their phone, yet almost no one is using the port for data transfer. The point of the EU is not minor cases.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Anyone getting excited about USB 3.0 has low expectations. USB 3.0 is too little too late (which is what Tim Cook loves to deliver while simultaneously raising prices). Macs have had USB 3.0 since 2012. The first smartphone with USB 3.0 was the Galaxy Note 3, which was released in 2013. That was 10 years ago. Don't ever praise Cook for his greed of giving customers tech that is literally a decade old.

For the prices Cook charges, all iPhones should include at least Thunderbolt 3, preferably Thunderbolt 4.

Kevrani

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
As others have said, most of Apple's products have USB-C already. Apple should have brought the iPhone in line with the rest of the product portfolio years ago. There is no sincere reason for Apple keeping Lightning at this stage.

If the likely data transfer speeds of the iPhone 15 are too slow of your needs, then that is not the phone for you.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Last time I checked the year is 2023 and not 2009, so data transfer speeds through a cable are totally irrelevant except for a tiny fraction of a percent of niche users who still refuse to embrace the cloud

This would raise the price of the iPhone, and why should the vast majority of users suffer that just to placate the luddites and tinfoil hat brigade that don’t trust the cloud

As long as the charging speeds are decent, ie: equally fast or faster than current fast charging on the iPhone, then that’s all that matters with respect to the cable

Last edited:

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
i'd be relaxed about the *cable* being USB 2 speeds only; most of them probably really will only be used for charging, so it would be an unwarranted waste.

It's another matter if the ports on the phone are similarly restricted. that would smack of malicious compliance and would frankly deserve a boycott.

(if you have another device you want to transfer data at speed *to*, you're likely to have the cables you need with that device already.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.