Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pictomancer

Suspended
Jan 15, 2024
Meanwhile, in 2024: Apple "Pro" MacBooks also come with standard 8gb RAM.

What is wrong with Apple? Lol. Pathetic.

Apple probably thinks no one will notice that they still use WiFi 6.
However, selling $1000+ iPhones with WiFi 6 in 2024 is not future proof at all.

pictomancer

Suspended
Jan 15, 2024
Apple: WiFi 7 in 2024?
Customers: Yes, WiFi 7 (802.11be) is newer and faster than WiFi 6 (802.11ax).
Apple: Will it be cheaper to use WiFi 7?
Customers: No, but for $1000+ iPhones we should expect WiFi 7...
Apple: Nah, you will still get WiFi 6. Now go buy iPhone 16.
Customers: Nah, we already have iPhones with WiFi 6, it was released several years ago...
Apple: But we still expect you to buy iPhone 16 with WiFi 6.

And some people still defend Apple?

Customers: But we still expect WiFi 7 in a 2024 $1000+ iPhone.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple: WiFi 7 in 2024?
Customers: Yes, WiFi 7 (802.11be) is newer and faster than WiFi 6 (802.11ax).
Apple: Will it be cheaper to use WiFi 7?
Customers: No, but for $1000+ iPhones we should expect WiFi 7...
Apple: Nah, you will still get WiFi 6. Now go buy iPhone 16.
Customers: Nah, we already have iPhones with WiFi 6, it was released several years ago...
Apple: But we still expect you to buy iPhone 16 with WiFi 6.

And some people still defend Apple?
Well it is one unit of WiFi better.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
If you are in that 0.1% that truly will measurably benefit from WiFi7 congestion handling vs WiFi6E and have all your Wi-Fi networks current and up-to-date with Wi-Fi 7, then yes the iPhone 16 might not be for you. Still, I'm not buying it as an argument as that would mean that right now today most of us are struggling on our phone, which is absolutely nonsense. And it's a phone…

Sure, I like the latest technology, but it has been for a long time in the category of good and fast enough already. Most people would benefit more from sorting their Wi-Fi networks out and moving away from the ISP gear to getting a phone that supports this new standard. I bet that by the time the phone is obsolete, the majority of homes, let alone professional organisations, won't even have a Wi-Fi 6 network, let alone Wi-Fi 6E and definitely not Wi-Fi 7.

The comparison vs android devices is just your typical spec tick list, android devices are good at throwing everything at it, early in a lifecycle, but doesn't even work that well, or isn't certified yet, or drains the battery. But yes, one can say they have it.

Anyway just my opinion I guess...

WiFi 7 was certified just over a week ago. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...y-certifies-kit-for-new-wi-fi-7-standard.html

Yes it may be a spec tick box, but when you are charging over a grand for the device the specs are important. 10GB home broadband is a thing now, and is becoming widespread.
I agree most should ditch their ISP routers, but most of the ones I’ve seen do come with WiFi 6 now, some with 6E even, so they are progressing.

And whilst you state no one needs it etc, well 6G which is currently being developed is targeted to have a 1 Terrabyte per second throughput speed. So your phone will most likely be hitting multi gigabits a second, say over 100 in a decent signal area. Progress of technology. I can get 1.3GBPS on 5G on my iPhone.

I do have WiFi 7 at home FYI.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
But but but... I just spent $1,700 on a 3-pack of Eero 7 Max mesh routers!

(not really... but I'm sure people will freak out about the "missing" features of the next iPhone...)

🤣

View attachment 2336613
View attachment 2336614

FYI you can already buy far cheaper WiFi 7 routers. There will be a flood of them launching this year at all price points. Technology doesn’t stop just because you or Apple don’t use it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
WiFi 7 was certified just over a week ago. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...y-certifies-kit-for-new-wi-fi-7-standard.html

Yes it may be a spec tick box, but when you are charging over a grand for the device the specs are important. 10GB home broadband is a thing now, and is becoming widespread.
I agree most shops iPad ditch their ISP routers, but most of the ones I’ve seen do come with WiFi 6 now, some with 6E even, so they are progressing.

And whilst you state no one needs it etc, well 6G which is currently being developed is targeted to have a 1 Terrabyte per second throughput speed. So your phone will most likely be hitting multi gigabits a second, say over 100 in a decent signal area. Progress of technology. I can get 1.3GBPS on 5G on my iPhone.

I do have WiFi 7 at home FYI.
For those who opt for 10gb home internet and want wifi 7 -- the iphone may not be for them (and also many other wifi enabled devices). In the meantime, with my iphone 15PM, I just updated my router to support wifi 6. Wifi 6E is not worth the cost.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
FYI you can already buy far cheaper WiFi 7 routers. There will be a flood of them launching this year at all price points. Technology doesn’t stop just because you or Apple don’t use it.

Yes I know there will be cheaper WIFI 7 routers. I was simply being overly dramatic.

:p

• Haha
Reactions: darngooddesign

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
For those who opt for 10gb home internet and want wifi 7 -- the iphone may not be for them (and also many other wifi enabled devices). In the meantime, with my iphone 15PM, I just updated my router to support wifi 6. Wifi 6E is not worth the cost.

But if those people have an Apple Eco system, and spent the money on WiFi 7, shouldn't they expect a very expensive Apple product to support the latest standards?
Anyway this is all conjecture as this is a rumour that could be utterly wrong.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But if those people have an Apple
Eco system, and spent the money on WiFi 7, shouldn't they expect a very expensive Apple product to support the latest standards?
Anyway this is all conjecture as this is a rumour that could be utterly wrong.
The reality is, that Apple doesn't support a just ratified wifi protocol. I'm assuming the chips are different, unless Apple has a surprise up it's sleeve. However, I would expect people who buy consumer related electronic devices to know what they buy.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Awful news if true. I was LESS ram and a more optimized OS 😉😂
Yes, RAM is so goddamn expensive and unnecessary when thinking about how masterfully and flawlessly iOS is and has always been.

And more importantly -I want an iPhone 16 that costs $799 not $7999 just because it now has 8GBs RAM instead of the 6GB we got in iPhones 14 and 15.

Apple needs to stop with all these expensive parts. It's so unnecessary. 😭😣😭

/s

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011

Apple's next-generation iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus models will both feature 8GB of RAM, an increase over the 6GB of RAM in the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, according to information shared today by technology analyst Jeff Pu.

iPhone-Boxes-16x9.jpg

In a research note with investment firm Haitong International Securities, Pu reiterated his belief that all iPhone 16 models will be equipped with 8GB of RAM. Increased RAM can contribute to improved performance for multitasking on the iPhone.

iPhone 15 lineup:
  • iPhone 15: 6GB
  • iPhone 15 Plus: 6GB
  • iPhone 15 Pro: 8GB
  • iPhone 15 Pro Max: 8GB
iPhone 16 lineup, according to Pu:
  • iPhone 16: 8GB
  • iPhone 16 Plus: 8GB
  • iPhone 16 Pro: 8GB
  • iPhone 16 Pro Max: 8GB
Pu also expects the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus to support Wi-Fi 6E, which works with the 6 GHz band, enabling faster wireless speeds and reduced signal interference with a compatible router. For the iPhone 15 lineup, Wi-Fi 6E is limited to the Pro models.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 16 lineup in September.

Article Link: iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus Rumored to Feature Increased 8GB RAM and Wi-Fi 6E Support
So will we get a base 16GB MacBook or no? If those greedy sons of guns stick us with 8gb again...

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Personally I don't care so much about using the latest Wifi standard. In fact my network is still Wifi4/Wifi5.

Apple does a lot of proprietary stuff with Wifi because of Handoff/Continuity. It's probably not that easy to adapt new chipsets for their needs.
Seriously, I’m still using AC (whichever number that is) and it’s not a problem at all, y’all are getting your hopes wrapped up in theoretical benefits and completely forgetting the practical side.

Alexndar

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
It would be great if this was followed by giving the MacBooks a minimum of 16/18 GB of RAM for the whole lineup as well. Then, it would hopefully make getting a 32 GB top model with 1TB SSD less expensive.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I'm on a 15 Pro right now which I got because of 8GB RAM, which was a big step up from my XR with 3GB. I thought my apps would require less reloading and while it did help a little, it's not the game changer I thought it would be. Reloading apps still happens too often and at this point I don't think any amount of RAM will help. It's a software issue.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm on a 15 Pro right now which I got because of 8GB RAM, which was a big step up from my XR with 3GB. I thought my apps would require less reloading and while it did help a little, it's not the game changer I thought it would be. Reloading apps still happens too often and at this point I don't think any amount of RAM will help. It's a software issue.
I’m seeing little reloading as long as I don’t use the camera app, fwiw.

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
I can't get my iPhone 15 Pro which is capable of Wifi-6E to connect to my Unifi U6-Enterprise AP which is also Wifi-6E capable, apparently because of the weird way Apple has implemented Wifi-6E so I wouldn't keep my hopes up for smooth and working Wifi-7 on the new iPhones :p

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
May I ask why? I am an Iphone user since a while and I never ever had memory issues. I learned already not to close any app (except if it's not working), but just switch them. It was pretty hard, because on android you keep doing it regardless how much RAM you have.
Future proof since I keep my phone for years. And with the price of RAM coming down there is really no good reason for to be so stingy.

That said I do believe with smartphones RAM is not as a big deal as in tablets. And I think the only reason Apple is suddenly increase RAMs back to back is because Apple is trying to pave a way for people to get into the vision pro and spatial videos are RAM hungry based on what I read.

I found RAM much more important in tablets, at least with the way my family and I use (content consumption).

I bought my iPad Pro 9.7 (2GB ram) and a Huawei tablet (4GB ram) around the same time 6 years ago and in the beginning there was no comparison, the iPP 9.7 was light, slim, and fast. The Huawei was big, heavy and unwieldy in comparison. Now years later the same Huawei tablet can handle dozens upon dozens of browser tabs on top of YouTube running in background while iPP 9.7 can handle maybe 10 tabs, depending on what they are. In fact the Huawei is better in handling content consumption apps than the a much newer iPad (9th gen, 3GB ram) used by another family member in my household.

MausKriminel

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
Future proof since I keep my phone for years. And with the price of RAM coming down there is really no good reason for to be so stingy.

That said I do believe with smartphones RAM is not as a big deal as in tablets. And I think the only reason Apple is suddenly increase RAMs back to back is because Apple is trying to pave a way for people to get into the vision pro and spatial videos are RAM hungry based on what I read.

I found RAM much more important in tablets, at least with the way my family and I use (content consumption).

I bought my iPad Pro 9.7 (2GB ram) and a Huawei tablet (4GB ram) around the same time 6 years ago and in the beginning there was no comparison, the iPP 9.7 was light, slim, and fast. The Huawei was big, heavy and unwieldy in comparison. Now years later the same Huawei tablet can handle dozens upon dozens of browser tabs on top of YouTube running in background while iPP 9.7 can handle maybe 10 tabs, depending on what they are. In fact the Huawei is better in handling content consumption apps than the a much newer iPad (9th gen, 3GB ram) used by another family member in my household.
Same here, I use reddit desktop in Safari on my SE2 and my phone stutters if I open more than a 2 tabs at once. 3 GB of RAM, what a sad thing. No wonder they hide the amount of RAM on the buy page.

Reactions: Makayla

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
A pro iPhone at this point should come with a minimum of 12gb and wifi7. No exceptions. That’s not asking much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.