Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
And you are not the only one. I have an M2 iPad Pro with a 16 core neutral engine. If the iPhone gets boosted Neural Engine, and only that will support new Siri There will be a protest, even worse than the one that happened when stage manager came out and was initially limited to M series devices.
Not like they invented the ability for more cores. Just been keeping in pocket until needs.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Apple is significantly behind in AI race
Siri is lagging even more.

Microsoft has Copilot and Copilot System
Apple has nothing even remotely close in iWork and its pro apps

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
If the next iPhone has better hardware for AI, isn’t it only logical that it would be able to do AI better than existing/older iPhones? Do people who want all AI features to be exactly the same on new and old phones expect Apple to artificially limit AI capabilities on the new phones?

Halopend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I may be "old man shakes fist at cloud" but I just get the heebie jeebies with AI
Oh, it’s absolutely terrifying what it can/will be able to do. I’m glad Apple is focusing on device and thinking critically about what to expose to devs (for example, eye tracking data on the Vision Pro not being available in real time to apps, just the chosen interactions).

Reactions: gusmula and Tagbert

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Apple can’t possibly get enough of an increase in geek bench scores between 15 Pro and 16 Pro.

So limiting all the significant AI stuff to iPhones 16 and beyond is how they’ll get you to upgrade.

You can get pissed now, I guarantee you that you won’t get any of the meaningful AI upgrades without the latest iPhones. You most likely won’t get any at all.

Apple is already taking a hit on revenue as a consequence of all the new AppStore regulations for EU iPhones.

Ain’t no way they’re handing out fully functional Siri as a free update for everyone on iPhones 15 and older. No way.
Everyone buying tech needs to learn this simple lesson:

NEVER buy for future features or rumored (or even promised) updates

These companies nearly always just want to sell you another device for new features
I just feel that as a customer of a company that I’ve already given tens of thousands of pounds, I shouldn’t be thrown out of new features.

We know you don’t have to have nearly as much processing power as the iPhone of late to answer simple questions on device (Alexa is proof of that!).

Siri has been a hapless afterthought for ages, and to deprive anyone that recently bought devices of a more clever version is just rude.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I'm very curious to see how Apple implements it. But I'm afraid that I won't be able to use all these new features on my Macs (M1 Max and M3 Pro) or my iPad (M2).
That’ll be the truly ridiculous part -You most likely will have to get M3 Macs/iPads or newer to get the AI features getting introduced in the next OSs post iPhones 16.

The highest end M2 Mac will not have the special number of Neural cores that Apple’s marketing team has decided is the number that can run a language model (AI).

• Sad
Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
To be honest, I was expecting this increase in neural engines.

AI features are the future, if not already the present. We’ve all seen the increase from 2, to 8, to 16 NE cores, and it was expectable that they would increase them at some point. Especially now that Apple is rumored to be focusing on AI features for the future.

This is one of the reasons why I waited so long to renew my Mac. First, M3 Mac mini is still not available. But even if it was, I would probably wait for the M4 to have this beefier neural engine.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have it on my iPhone as well, but unfortunately the smallest iPhone 16 will be huge, and I love my SE3 size. So I’m stuck on this A15 device for a while. Hopefully the A15 will be powerful enough for some of this upcoming features.

Verified Whiskey

Suspended
Mar 27, 2023
Looks like iPhone 16 will be Apples Edge AI. On device AI is what the crowd has been waiting for and here it comes.
This. The other AI out there is all cloud based. Nothing is happening on device. (Speaking about generative AI like chatbots and things). Apple’s AI tech is and [mostly] always has been on device. Being able to pull off the smarts of the tech out there today, but on-device, will be a game changer for performance and privacy. Both of which are a nightmare with AI currently.

Verified Whiskey

Suspended
Mar 27, 2023
I still don’t believe that they’ll show exclusive features for a device that hasn’t even been announced yet. The iOS 18 Generative Features that’ll get announced at WWDC will be available to all devices that can run iOS 18. Any exclusive features will be announced in September, when the devices that can run those features will be announced. Unless, you know, Apple decides to randomly announce the iPhone 16 lineup at WWDC for some reason.
Unless the 16 lineup can do all the processing on-device, and the rest have to ping the cloud?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If the next iPhone has better hardware for AI, isn’t it only logical that it would be able to do AI better than existing/older iPhones? Do people who want all AI features to be exactly the same on new and old phones expect Apple to artificially limit AI capabilities on the new phones?
Holding back newer devices is exactly what they did with the iPhone XS. Until iOS 15 the features on the XS were nearly identical to the X despite its extra 6 cores in the neural engine. Then in iOS 15/16 they suddenly added lots of features to take advantage of the extra power for the XS and above to use. They waited three years for the tech to trickle down, they could do something similar with AI functions.

Reactions: Populus

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I may be "old man shakes fist at cloud" but I just get the heebie jeebies with AI
There's no need. The market, until yesterday, was a rocketship, with a lot of AI names participating. Apple was not one of the engines seeking to achieve orbit. It's going to be a long while yet.

...Apple is already taking a hit on revenue as a consequence of all the new AppStore regulations for EU iPhones....
Apple's revenue has sucked for each of the last four fiscal quarters compared to year-ago quarters. There is no real way to know however, if the consequence you cite is the reason for that.

Ain’t no way they’re handing out fully functional Siri as a free update for everyone on iPhones 15 and older. No way.
I don't think we know this yet. Just like any dealer, Apple knows that they'll need to give everybody a taste of the new hotness. Then, when we're all good and hooked, have a big presentation at the Mothership and open the store for pre-orders.

I have an iPhone 11.

Sometimes it takes Siri ages to say "Here's what I found on the web". I'm hoping it says that much faster on the iPhone 16.
Is it too much for me to expect Siri to know if I am moving through space and time faster than walking speed, she should probably just read what she found on the web, rather than make me take my eyes off the road or my altimeter? Or ask me if I'd like her to read (or summarize) the results out loud?

I don't care if "actual AI" is implemented for Siri. Or Alexa, for that matter. Just reduce friction by 5% each year and I'll be happy as a pig in slop!

Reactions: adrianlondon

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
So all the fuss about my 15 PM neural engines will be for nothing because most features will be reserved for the 16?. Talking about planned obsolesence. Let´s wait to see what AI feautes are "too demanding for iphone 15".
Samsung already has some impressive AI features (on device and on the cloud) can Apple give us something backward compatible?.
Perhaps Siri can be used to put a reminder or an appointment and send the invite to my contacts?.
Perhaps Siri can finally edit a misstyped number in the prehistoric dial pad?. I want a phone that works, not halfbaked features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.