Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo claims that the iPhone 2.0 Firmware could hit Golden Master this Friday. The Golden Master version is the final shipping version of a product, which means we could also see the 2.0 Firmware released as soon as this Friday. Gizmodo warns that the date is tentative, but falls in line with Apple's original plans to deliver the 2.0 Firmware by late June. At WWDC, however, Steve Jobs revised the release date to "early July".

The 2.0 Firmware will be available for free for existing iPhone owners and as a $9.99 update for iPod Touch users. The biggest new features of the 2.0 Firmware include Exchange/Enterprise support and 3rd party application support, but Steve Jobs also highlighted a number of additional improvements during the 2008 WWDC keynote. These include: contact search, iWork document support, Office documents (Word, Excel, and now PowerPoint) support, bulk delete & move for messages, scientific calculator, parental controls and additional language support.

Of note, even if the 2.0 Firmware is ready for delivery, we've heard that the App Store is still undergoing active development, so the entire release could be delayed until it is ready.

Article Link

iStefmac

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
There is absolutely no way that 2.0 and the app store will be available at different times.

Absolutely no way.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Good news. Can't wait. The sooner the better, IMO.

What I really want to know more about in advance is the cost of the new iPhone plans (data, SMS, any other changes in pricing, etc.). I'd like to make a decision about upgrading the phone in advance of the launch.

Plus my daughter won't stop bugging me to get a new one so that she can claim my current iPhone! :) :eek:

ardent11

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Sydney
Well if I do remember correctly, there was something about a 27th release date for the firmware on the Australian iPhone page.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
who gave this a negative this is good news i cant wait to have 2.0 for my ipod touch MLB at bat here i come :)

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
cool

I can't wait. I am so looking forward to seeing what developers have been up to for the iPhone. The app store sounds like it is going to be a great thing.

Even if it is delayed a little bit, we know it will be ready to go by July 11th (at the latest)... can't imagine the iPhone 3G launching without it (would be a huge PR blunder).

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Ok - so delivering 2.0 early but waiting on the App Store makes sense, I guess. But man!! I want those apps!!!

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
I doubt this will happen. They'll wait until the app store is ready and do the firmware and app store at the same time. It'd be confusing for end users to have an app store icon but not be able to use it.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
This would clarify the mysterious reason that Macmall's ipod sale lasts until Thursday night of this week. And the rumors circulating about the 27th as a release date of some sort. But when something's not a Tuesday, well, that's a little out of pattern. Not that I'm complaining.

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Great News!!

This is great! I was so disappointed when they did not release iPhone firmware 2.0 at WWDC. I would still hesitate to install it though since it might reduce the value of my iPhone when I sell it to get the new one next month. People are going to be paying through the nose to get a easily unlockable iPhone with firmware 1.1.4.

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
well..

Normally I am an optimist. But ever since WWDC I have been very skeptical that it will get release this month.

Especially if Giz is the one making these claims.

But we shall see. I cant wait (really for the appstore)

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I doubt this will happen. They'll wait until the app store is ready and do the firmware and app store at the same time. It'd be confusing for end users to have an app store icon but not be able to use it.

I agree. I would be pretty annoying to have a link to a non-existent store.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I agree. Also if jobs said early july it will be early july. my guess is the 11th.

applefrenzy

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
http://www.zami.com
Golden Master on Friday doesn't mean it would be released to the public on Friday. Presumably they would first release it to the developers to rebuild their apps using it rather than the beta SDK, then some time after that release it to the public along with the App Store.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Ok, so im thinking its all getting to close. There are presumably thousands of i phone ready to go to the various shops in 20 odd countries, taking into account of shipping time i think the 2nd gen iphone may well be coming with v1 software, especially if V2 its not going to be even ready to install on the new phones till the 1st week of july!

Now that would be a mess!

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
oh and why shouldnt there be apps ready on the store we got demoed a half an hour worth of apps at wwdc:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.