Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 2.0 Firmware Jailbroken Already?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The iPhone Dev Team published a a screenshot of what is reported to be a jailbroken iPhone 2.0 installation. According to ModMyiPhone's sources, the Dev team has already jailbroken the beta 2.0 iPhone firmware that Apple has only released to a limited number of testers. The jailbroken iPhone freely allows installation of iPhone applications, bypassing Apple's $99/year developer program which includes an official developer certificate.

"Jailbreaking" is the method by which iPhone owners have been able to install unofficial 3rd party applications on the iPhone. A thriving development community has emerged producing a number of free and useful applications.

While Apple's iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) announcement will likely diminish interest in the unofficial iPhone developer community, the process of jailbreaking will likely continue. By choosing to be the sole distributor of iPhone applications, Apple has set some editorial guidelines on what it deems appropriate iTunes Store applications. The jailbreaking process will allow users to install those applications which fall outside of Apple's guidelines. The list of unallowed applications currently include emulators, scripted languages, background applications, VOIP over cellular, and unlocking applications.

Apple will be releasing the final iPhone 2.0 firmware in June alongside the launch of the iTunes App Store. The iPhone SDK is currently available for free download.

Article Link

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
That was ridiculously fast. Gives me hope for a 3G phone running well on T-Mobile.

I don't really see how the two are related. This doesn't change the fact that the iPhone is not 3G, and that T-Mobile (at least in the U.S.) has no 3G coverage.

Comment

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
One major question is how this will impact us in the upcoming months. Will we see additional iphone/ipod functionality before the June release date, including games, email upgrades, additional natively written 3rd party apps, etc.

I'm having a hard time waiting, and wanted at least a couple of teaser games to come out with the SDK was scheduled to come out, but I guess we just have to wait longer. Luckily, my ipod it keeping me up to date due to RSS feeds, so I can obsses every minute!

Comment

ebernet

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Seattle, WA
I don't really see how the two are related. This doesn't change the fact that the iPhone is not 3G, and that T-Mobile (at least in the U.S.) has no 3G coverage.

Because 3G phones, just like all of Apple's hardware revamps, only work with the OS they ship with, and not older version - which means the new 3G iPhones will probably be 2.0.

And if 2.0 is jailbroken, then the likelihood that an unlock mechanism will be available is fairly certain.

You see, it wasn't too hard to think....:eek:

Comment

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania

And you're forgetting that even AT&T doesnt have 3G in over half of the top 50 US cities anyway...

Comment

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Maybe a dumb question here: Why can't Apple sue people that do this?

Maybe for the same reason you can't be sued for putting whatever software you want on a PowerMac or a PC running Windows. Apple needs to learn that people are going to put what THEY WANT on their desktops, laptops and smart phones, not what Apple wants them to put on it. Others just seem to think that's OK. Personally, I hate fascism in any form. I say thumbs up to jailbreak, bypassing Apple stores, monopolies and general denial of freedom of choice. While I like Macs better than PCs because of OSX, I don't like Apple any better than Microsoft. They're cut from the same cloth and that cloth is named GREED.

Comment

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
This is really moronic. Why do people keep doing this?

So people who live in countries like Canada can unlock their iPhones and still use them, and so people who want more applications on their phone have the ability to put applications on their phone. This isn't moronic at all. This is giving people what they want, and for free too! This is the best news I have heard all week.

Comment

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
This is really moronic. Why do people keep doing this?

Because an IM client on a phone (e.g. iPhone) without the capability of running in background is moronic.

Here's to hoping that Apple puts out iChat for the iPhone. Altho, I'd rather have Adium for the iPhone.

w00master

Comment

scrambledwonder

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Maybe for the same reason you can't be sued for putting whatever software you want on a PowerMac or a PC running Windows. Apple needs to learn that people are going to put what THEY WANT on their desktops, laptops and smart phones, not what Apple wants them to put on it. Others just seem to think that's OK. Personally, I hate fascism in any form. I say thumbs up to jailbreak, bypassing Apple stores, monopolies and general denial of freedom of choice. While I like Macs better than PCs because of OSX, I don't like Apple any better than Microsoft. They're cut from the same cloth and that cloth is named GREED.

But Apple has better tailors.

Comment

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Because 3G phones, just like all of Apple's hardware revamps, only work with the OS they ship with, and not older version - which means the new 3G iPhones will probably be 2.0.

And if 2.0 is jailbroken, then the likelihood that an unlock mechanism will be available is fairly certain.

You see, it wasn't too hard to think....:eek:

of course if the 3G iphone is jailbroken it will run on T-Mobiles network. that seems pretty damn obvious. i think the post you quoted was addressing how pointless a 3G iphone would be on the T-Mobile network because you wouldnt be able to use T-Mobiles 3G (whenever they roll it out).

Comment

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Because an IM client on a phone (e.g. iPhone) without the capability of running in background is moronic.

Here's to hoping that Apple puts out iChat for the iPhone. Altho, I'd rather have Adium for the iPhone.

w00master

just think how long your battery would last if an im client was constantly running in the background and connecting to the internet. there are programs like this for the n95 and they rape battery life.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Apple, please do a better job. Shut down the jailbreakers.

Jailbreaking has no effect on non-jailbreakers. Or actually... they probably have had a positive effect, since Apple's App Store seems to be awful similar to Installer.app.

arn

Comment
Jailbreaking has no effect on non-jailbreakers. Or actually... they probably have had a positive effect, since Apple's App Store seems to be awful similar to Installer.app.

arn

Sure it does, It's a pandora's box. Once the system is broken and more and more documentation is built about the system, then we will likely face a greater likelyhood of iPhoneOS malware.

Comment

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Without those writing 3rd party apps there would not have been an sdk. Apple initially didn't want to allow 3rd party apps, but now realize with the 500k+ unlocked phones and jailbraking community gave them a new opportunity to make $.

They not only sell to people who don't live in a country with iphone, but can sell millions of apps and make money of them and off the deveopers too.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Sure it does, It's a pandora's box. Once the system is broken and more and more documentation is built about the system, then we will likely face a greater likelyhood of iPhoneOS malware.

If that line of reasoning were actually true, than Mac OS X (Unix) should be suffering from massive amounts of malware.

arn

Comment

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Jeez... what's everybody's beef tonight?
just think how long your battery would last if an im client was constantly running in the background and connecting to the internet. there are programs like this for the n95 and they rape battery life.
Who says I value my battery life above an IM connection?
Apple, please do a better job. Shut down the jailbreakers.

Why do you care so much?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.