MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

It seems that Apple is taking further care in hiding new iPhone features in their beta releases. The most recent firmware beta seeded to developers listed "compatibility testing" in its release notes as the only change.

We've since heard of a couple of new features buried within the iPhone 2.2 beta. Apple has apparently made underlying changes to the iPhone's frameworks that are not yet exposed to the end user. These findings include:

- Support for Japanese emoji icons (screenshot) -- a popular feature for Japanese phones. The lack of emoji support has been blamed as part of the reason for slow iPhone adoption in Japan.
- Support for Google Street View for the Google Maps application. Street View allows users to view panoramic street view photographs in select cities within the Google Maps application. The feature was recently demoed on Google's Android phone.

Finally, Apple has also addressed one common request within the iPhone's Keyboard settings, allowing users to disable the iPhone's auto-correction.

052221-autocorrect.jpg

Apple has not yet announced when the iPhone 2.2 firmware will be available.

Article Link

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I hope Apple implants the Google walking directions thing. It would be perfect for the iPhone, especially being in a city.

Comment

Tragedies

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Yeha they should allow iPhone users (even though I've only got a touch) to have te street view map as they do using GPS.

Thank god for the auto correction option, sometimes auto-correct is a pain.

Comment

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I take advantage of auto-correct too often for me to turn it off, but I wish there were times when I could change some of the dictionary words.

Like with "lol". Every time I type "lol" in it comes out as LOL. It might just be me but in the middle of a sentence a large LOL sticks out. "lol really?" comes out to "LOL really?" in the same vein as "LOL OMG KTHXBYE". I've always hit the "x" and typed it out in lowercase, but the iPhone never remembers.

Maybe it's just me...

Comment

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
I take advantage of auto-correct too often for me to turn it off, but I wish there were times when I could change some of the dictionary words.

Like with "lol". Every time I type "lol" in it comes out as LOL. It might just be me but in the middle of a sentence a large LOL sticks out. "lol really?" comes out to "LOL really?" in the same vein as "LOL OMG KTHXBYE". I've always hit the "x" and typed it out in lowercase, but the iPhone never remembers.

Maybe it's just me...

Ive noticed this also. When I type xx (kisses), it changes it to fx. When I type xxx it changes it to zzz! Even if this is the default behaviour, surely it should learn changes!

Comment

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia

Maybe it's just me...

I have the exact complaint with the lol LOL thing. Because you want to type lol, but it is really not that funny to type it in capitals, so the person receiving thinks they are really funny but they are not! It would be good if Apple let up edit the phone dictionary, and also the google street view will be awesome too.

Comment

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
These are all good additions, but I think that the real question for a lot of people is: will it have the background notifications like they were promised for release in September?

Comment

gifford

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Miserable England
Ive noticed this also. When I type xx (kisses), it changes it to fx. When I type xxx it changes it to zzz! Even if this is the default behaviour, surely it should learn changes!

im not that bothered by it, but my girlfriend gets really rattled by this behavior of the iphone.

Comment

dawesy

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
I'd be over the moon if Apple would finally include the ability to sync notes and todo's with mail / iCal.

Come on Apple, such basic functionality. Even winblows smart phones and do this...

cheers,
dawesy

Comment

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Not to get too picky, but there's no such thing as an "Android phone." There's a phone that runs android, but Google doesn't make a phone.

Comment

oldschool01

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
fine-graded toggling of auto-correction?

i would appreciate if it would be possible to choose for which languages you want to switch off the auto-correction. while in austria we use a strong dialect to written german, which makes it very hard to write with enabled auto-correction, the auto-correction on english or russian texts is indeed useful.

additionally i would not mind a learning-feature of the auto-correction or a possibility to edit the dictionary it uses. sometimes i see words proposed by the iphone that are not real words.

Comment

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Not to get too picky, but there's no such thing as an "Android phone." There's a phone that runs android, but Google doesn't make a phone.

You're right, that is too picky.

Obviously saying 'a windows mobile phone' is wrong as well?

Please stop nitpicking

Comment

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
As I said before, like many others: copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste... Please.

Comment

blueskyrocket

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
I just Want Landscape Keyboard

to be available in all applications. I can type very well with the keyboard in landscape mode.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.