Iphone $299 for 16 gig, Ipod touch still $399?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Avle53, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Avle53 macrumors newbie

Wondering if we'll see a price drop soon. I mean I know it's been rumored but after the WWDC announcements, somethings gotta give you'd think.

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

nice observation..

i would love to see

8 GB = $149
    16 GB = $249
    32 GB = $349

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

iPhone have service contracts. iPod touches do not.

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Well there has to be a price drop. I m sure we`ll see some announcement by the time 3G iPhone launches.

5. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

but iphone was still more expensive before, why should that change?

6. Clipse79 macrumors regular

The touch has to come down in price. It is unrealistic to think it can be sold at the current prices.

7. Avle53 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's currently reversed. It's cheaper to buy an iphone than an Ipod touch. hell it has more features. If they don't really drop the Touch, and soon I think it would really damage sales. Granted I still want one, but I'm less tempted to order one.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm thinking that the iPhone prices will be subsidized by the carrier. I mean, if Apple was selling them at those prices, they would be losing money. The carriers are probably paying the difference to get the new customers hooked into service contracts.

9. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

apple makes $10 a month on iphones, they make $0 on ipod touches. that is why it wont change

I may sell my ipod touch and get an iphone though.

10. Avle53 thread starter macrumors newbie

You and a lot of other people. That's the rub, if apple wants the Ipod touch to not get completely obliterated by the new iphone they're going to have to change something.

11. cakbar macrumors regular

I would think that the new prices for the Iphone are only with a contract. If Apple sells the Iphone for less than the Touch, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to buy a touch. You could then just buy the Iphone and not activate the phone part. I am expecting them to announce that the price is higher out of the box, but AT&T will provide a rebate on activation of the contract. (if they haven't done so already)

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I honestly don't think that they would mind too much if the iPhone had that much success. They have always given the iPhone more emphasis than the iPod, so I don't think that having iPod users upgrade to iPhones would be a huge problem for them.

13. Rhinestorm macrumors member

Because the iPhone has a pretty hefty monthly bill, while the iTouch doesn't.

14. nintendude macrumors 6502

i'm just really dissapointed because i bought the iPod touch because it was to expensive ($400 for a phone?) but now its cheap but i already got the touch:mad:

15. orpheusmyth macrumors member

I've checked the other apple stores around the world, and the price cut is only for US. It's not announced on other stores, and I wonder why. The only thing that gets in my mind is that AT&T is supporting the price. There were rumors saying that, and also some comments from AT&T saying the same. So Ipod touch is not dead. (for yet)

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

It hasn't been over for that long... Give them some time. $199 maximum worldwide has a meaning, you know?

17. TVGenius macrumors member

I feel your pain. Been patiently waiting, figuring if they update the phone the Touch has to get some lovin' too. I'm confused...

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It's $299 + your AT&T contract fees for the new iPhone, which will work out at several hundred more.

19. rjflyn macrumors regular

16G touch 399 easy to jail break
    16G 3G iPhone more than likely easy to jailbreak unlock 299 both have WIFI

Shoot smart money buys the iPhone and hacks it and uses it as his ipod and never uses the phone features. And if he ever re-sells it it's worth more as its a phone.

So something in that price structure has to give.

R

20. illian macrumors regular

Come on...the new iphone comes with a 2 year contract!! In germany that's 49 euros every month.

21. benjam macrumors newbie

Website says "Requires new 2-year rate plan"

Whoa Nelly! The new low prices on the Apple site has an asterisk with fine print below:

*Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan

I already have a stinking rate plan. Does this mean I just have to renew or does it mean I am screwed?

22. nintendude macrumors 6502

you probably will have to add a bit to your plan like $10 i think, when i asked the online store chat people they said that the info is currently not avaliable

23. nintendude macrumors 6502

anyone here think that we should write a letter to steve jobs? i know that complaining won't really get us anywhere but its worth a try right?

24. illian macrumors regular

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

And how much to break your 2 year contract with the phone service provider? Probably more than you could recoup from the sale of the unlocked phone.