• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

123333-iphone-3-new-1.jpg_300.jpg

Apple will be providing an "advance preview" of the iPhone 3.0 firmware at a special media event today. This sort of advance public unveiling has become necessary so that 3rd party developers can update their applications to accommodate any major changes to the iPhone's operating system. As a result, we're likely looking at weeks to months of beta releases before actual delivery of the firmware to end users.

The iPhone 3.0 firmware could also be the basis for the rumored next-generation iPhone. In January, ZDNet ambitiously posted that we might see a quad-core iPhone running the 3.0 firmware. While quad-core seems quite ambitious, we'd also heard rumors of a multi-core iPhone in the works. Unfortunately, the lack of availability of multi-core ARM processors this year seems to argue against this possibility.

The software features to be delivered in the 3.0 firmware have been the hot topic this past week. It seems likely that both copy/paste and an improved homepage will be featured, as there have been multiple sources suggesting these features. MMS and tethering, however, seem far less certain with only a single questionable source.

We will not be providing live web coverage for today's event, but will provide twitter/SMS updates on @macrumors. Our usual RSS news-feed twitter account is @macrumorsRSS.

We will, however, provide a collection of links to other locations for live coverage as the time approaches. Our forums, of course, will also be open for live discussion of the event.

Article Link: iPhone 3.0 Rumors and Possibilities, Live Event Today

Sai Zelion

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
bracing for a disappointing impact.... that way, I'll be overjoyed if they don't disappoint me! lol

Oh, by the way, if the iPhone gets a QUAD CORE processor of ANY kind before the iMac goes Quad-Core, that would be a slap in the face lol. The iPhone should be Duo-Core and go through the ranks just as the iMac has to.

Comment

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
9to5mac.com page is useful, otherwise gizmodo and engadget will go live on it.

Comment

Kyle23

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Delaware
Copy and Paste would be great to have but, MMS would be life changing. This whole having to log onto a website that half of the time wont work from my phone **** is crazy and needs to end. This is a increasingly more text based communication world we are in now and I am still shocked that apple is failing to keep up with it.

Comment

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Copy and Paste would be great to have but, MMS would be life changing. This whole having to log onto a website that half of the time wont work from my phone **** is crazy and needs to end. This is a increasingly more text based communication world we are in now and I am still shocked that apple is failing to keep up with it.

I completely agree. Heck, even if they'd simply change the link to a clickable URL that didn't require a log in, I'd be happy.

Comment

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

Copy and Paste would be life changing. Having to log on to websites from an actual computer to quote things or to actually have the ability to copy text from a SMS or an email to my address book or from a webpage to a Macrumors post oh joy! MMS? Eh, it's dead. My friends know to send their MMS messages to my email address. :)

Comment

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Where is the spoiler-free link to the Apple video coverage? You had one for last year's SDK preview so where is this year's?

Hmm? Well....hmm?? *taps feet furiously* Hmm?? Well??? :confused::mad:

Comment

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

How would it be life changing? I'd be shocked if Apple supported this out dated technology.

Comment

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I have about 7 pages of apps, so somethign to tidy those up would be very useful.

Wonder if they'll be beefing the OS up to support their netbook? Seems odd to have a media event about it. New version of an OS they can just inform via their developer site. Surely it must be something useful/desirable to the wider market to have an event around it?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.