iPhone 3G on O2 Pay & Go

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jawad7, Aug 31, 2008.

1. jawad7 macrumors member

Does anyone have any information as to when the iPhone 3G will be available on pay as you go for O2. Have decided to definitely get one and just debating to just take the plunge on O2 contract or to wait for it to come on pre-pay and hopeffuly a software unlock will be available by then which lets me use my current Orange sim to which i have a really good contract on.

Any ideas on prices? Thanks in advance.

2. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

I'm waiting on prepay too....they said in July it'll be "in time for Christmas" so I would think they'll start talking it up and set prices in October for a November release? Until O2 decide to change the "coming later this year" on the website no one knows anything for sure really.

3. TheChillPill macrumors regular

4. jonnyb macrumors 65816

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

WOW! That is ridiculously expensive!

I was expecting £249/£299, but an extra £100 on top of that?!! I hope nobody buys it, so that they're forced to put it down to the price it should be. I think they're going to have a tough time trying selling a phone (no matter how smart it is) for £400. There's no need to flame me for a generalisation, but I think the type of customer that goes PAYG likes to stay in control of their spending and will just baulk at the idea of £400. Plus by the time you add on £10 credit per month, plus £7.50 for the data bolt on, it's looking more like a contract for 18 months would be cheaper.

And why on earth can't they get visual voicemail working for PAYG customers?! The infrastructure is already there.

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Did you hear that? What? The sound of prices on eBay falling.

7. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

very pricey!!! I stick to my contract!!

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why? The phone+contract for a 16Gb (assuming you get the £30 a month contract) works out at £700 over the lifetime of the contract. This is a guaranteed minimum income for O2 which they like. Buying on PAYG you might not spend any more with O2, or perhaps very little so they have to ensure that they don't loose money on the phone. I think £400 is cheap. I was expecting at least £500.

Edit to add: and you get 12 months of free data+WiFi. So that's like £120 right there. That's an amazing deal.

9. sibruk macrumors 6502a

OK, I didn't see that when I read it first time. That makes it a little more palatable. But really, I think this could end up being an unexpected flop for O2. People will just see the £350/£400 price tag.

10. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I agree. Even if you pay another £10 per month for the extra six months that you'd get with the contract you still save well over £200. It is a lot of money, but it is also a lot of phone and a lot of phone with 12 months free data + Wi-Fi as Robbie Duncan reminds us. If the price isn't right, however, buy one off eBay after 12 September and hope that the prices take account of the missing wireless deal - which they probably won't.

11. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Right where you'd expect them to be. On the iPhone PAYG page.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

On the O2 link above.

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

A lot of o2's pay and go phones are unlocked... do you reckon this will be?

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Assuming you don't make any calls or send any text. Even on the £30 pay monthly tariff you get an allowance for both in addition to the data, WiFi and lower up-front device cost.

16. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

So even though its PAYG, theres still a 'minimum top-up' each month? or am i reading it wrong?

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The minimum topup is to get the benefit listed. If you don't topup by that amount then it's just a standard PAYG tariff/phone. If you do then you get free calls/texts whatever...

18. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

19. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Reading wrong - you get bonus calls if you top-up certain amounts, but don't have to.

True, but for a data-only user the savings apply.

Edit: Beaten to it, on the first count.

20. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Ha!

What were those prices back at launch then!?

I would have got the 16Gb for £359.

Sod that now.

My 2G iPhone is doing just dandy!

**** rates for me too, im a texter, not a talker!

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The only positive i can see from this is the ebay prices will fall considerably even though the original iPhone will still command a decent amount because its the only phone that can still be unlocked

£399 is doable but its still high and the PAYG plan sucks for non talkers but free Wi-Fi for 12 months is a plus. I wonder if the same rules apply to Simplicity customers

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can choose any of the other PAYG tariffs that O2 offer. If you don't talk or text much and just want the data then it's fine: just top up when you need to.

You can find details of all the tariffs here.

The one they show is just the default :)

23. bruk201ib macrumors member

bruk201ib

Maybe it has been asked already. I'm with O2 at the carphone warehouse and my contract will expire in february and due for an upgrade in december. If i buy the iPhone with no contract, would i be able to use it with my sim and adding the internet bolt on or it will still be locked to the O2 carrier?

24. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

Well I'll be buying one! I would've got a contract but as I'm going to uni next September I don't want a contract to still be paying them when i've got rent/tuition etc to be paying as well, so the payg is perfect, even if the upfront cost is huge!

25. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Nope, total cost for my iphone is 3g is £288.

As follows, I am a business customer, so I pop into apple retail store. Purchase the iphone 3g on the £75 pound tariff. Phone is free, I then bring the iphone on to my business account. Additional user costs me £12 including tax. Thus over 24 months iphone costs me £288, I have done this for 3 of my family members already.