Iphone 3G S -- Post your usage screenshots

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freak99, Jun 21, 2009.

1. freak99 macrumors member

Not sure that I'm very pleased with the battery. This is with wifi off, bluetooth off, location services off and screen brightness around 25%. Usage time is mostly casual internet (no streaming or anything data intensive) with some twitter and a few emails and sms mixed in. Push and Fetch are both disabled. I totaled less than 10 minutes of actual calls.

Apple rates the phone for 5 hours of 3G surfing and/or voice so I expected to get at least that amount of usage.

My usage below comes out to 244 minutes with 10% battery remaining. That projects out to 271 minutes if I drain the battery to 0.

Let's see your screenshots and a description of your usage.

Attached Files:

2. 2259 macrumors member

N00b question time lol:

How do I screenshot??

Cheers

3. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

Press and hold the home button and then press the power button. You should hear a shutter sound like a camera.

4. 2259 macrumors member

With normal usage, WIFI on, 3G on, Location on

Attached Files:

5. Coraline macrumors member

6. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

What kind of usage is this? That battery life is awful.

EDIT: I see you put it in the post.

My 3G is getting about 5 hours before hitting the 10% mark and with about 20 hours standby... I'm worried I'd be giving up battery life by moving to a 3G S.

7. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

These screenshots indicate worse battery life than the 3g..

I could tinker all day long on my 3g and get 5+ hours of usage and over 24 hours of standby..

I don't know where Apple is getting these claims of better life..

Sure, turn off all the radios and get better life but what's the point in that.

8. 2259 macrumors member

I'd say 6 SMS sent, 5 SMS recieved, about 1 hour in total in Safari on macrumours lol, push email on 24/7, a couple of 2 min calls, used a couple of apps nothing heavy.

You guys think I should take it to a Genius?

9. AppleiMac macrumors member

Usage: 42 minutes
    Standby: 5 hours, 17 minutes
    Battery Percentage: 82%

[​IMG]

Not that impressed?

10. germanjulian macrumors regular

I well use it for a week and then post my stats. this should be interesting cause I am on 73% and only send 2 text one 3 minute phonecall, 1 quick website check and 1 and a half hour of ipod... sigh. I think I buy a £20 nokia when I need a phone that lasts me 2 days without a charge

11. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

mmmmmm im also getting rubbish battery life.last night my phone was 100% when i fell asleep at 12. and 50% when i woke up at 9.
    Wifi - on
    push email - on
    push notifcations - on
    3G - on
    location services - on

tonight am going to try the same but turning off push notifications. because thats all that has really changed since my 3G.

yesterday i got from 12-7 in the day with moderate usage from 100%-dead. surely my phone battery shouldnt go through 2 full charges a day..

12. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

It's recommended you give the battery a few cycles. If these are all on their first use, then I'd say there's no reason to be upset just yet.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think I plugged my phone it at all yesterday, and I did plenty of messing around with many tools on it. My battery was at about 49 percent when I plugged it in.

Let me warn everybody else about this before this thread goes nuclear: Batteries do not come out of the box with their full capacity. Almost always, you need to run it through 2 or 3 cycles before it's at peak.

As for yours, if you try what I said above and you still have problems, it may be a faulty battery or something else defective.

14. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

so is this full 100%-dead cycles?

really hope your right, cba returning to apple.

15. AppleiMac macrumors member

I think this is my first charge cycle (I ran it down yesterday) but today I'm going to make sure and run it down. Probably will improve over time too. If I keep getting battery life results like this, I will definitely have to turn off 3G because it seems to be a real power hog. BTW, none of that usage today in my screenshot includes phone calls.

16. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

Pic isn't showing for me.

17. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

How have you talked so much in 2 days. 16 Hours!

18. 2259 macrumors member

hmmmmmm

19. synagence macrumors 6502a

Wifi On
    Push email On
    Push Location On
    Location Services On
    3G On

Usage is a mix of Twitter apps, facebook app, web browser, music, 3d gaming, texting and a couple of calls
    I'm damn impressed with the battery since its only on its 2nd charge
    My battery drops 1% per hour in sleep generally.
    [​IMG]

20. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

That usage looks a lot better than what I'm getting. I noticed you have wifi connected. Is most of your usage wifi or 3G? I know that the phone is rated for almost twice as long (9 hours I think) using wifi versus 3G.

21. synagence macrumors 6502a

I generally get a 2 - 3 bar EDGE only network here ... in a bit of a blackspot so surfing today has been wifi

22. AppleiMac macrumors member

Well that is pretty impressive. If I was getting that level of battery life I'd be happy!

23. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That may explain some of the difference.

Hopefully, we can get a lot of good examples here so that we can establish some sort of baseline.

24. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not resetting

I have noticed the my standy usage is NOT resetting, when I charge it up and then disconnect.

So, these screenshots might not be telling the whole story.