Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billpaxton

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
im in aus and the blacks look HORRIBLE! they look like absolute ****! i would take it back but it seems they're all yellower and once i send my original one away i wont notice, still annoys me and ill be complaining to apple

FerdiV

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
It's noticeble when you put those 2 gens next to each other. But if you have the 3G and NOT the previous phone, then you won't notice it. It's the same as with LCD television in shops.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
It's noticeble when you put those 2 gens next to each other. But if you have the 3G and NOT the previous phone, then you won't notice it. It's the same as with LCD television in shops.

Whatever, but it should not be yellow.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
From the 4 recent photos, the screen don't look that bad, just a bit warm. :confused: I prefer the older screen as well, but if you can set the white balance on the screen via a setting, it looks like you can fix it.

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
For those who think this is not a issue, you obviously haven't got the problem we are talking about.

The whites are yellow! It appears to be a backlight problem as all the spectrum is affected, turning brightness up does not cure this and full brightness on my 3G is nowhere near as bright as 80% on the G1.

This is not acceptable and I will not get used to it - either Apple will replace my product with one with the wonderful screen ppls are talking about or I will get a refund and ask for compensation for the unprofessional way O2 handled this upgrade fiasco!! :mad:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
It looks like its varying from iPhone to iPhone as to how yellow the screen is. The colours *definitely* look wrong on my 3G iPhone, my background image looks all iffy too due to the yellow tinge.

Its probably another case of a batch of not-so-good screens. A lot of them could probably be rectified with a bit of gamma adjustment (not that there's an option to do so in the current iPhone software) while others are much worse. Although the picture I put up is blurry, it is colour-true.

Edit: BTW, I would add that on my iPhone 3G turning up the brightness to full does not make the yellow go away, if you'll note, the brightness is set to full in the picture in my first post and its distinctly more yellow and dimmer than my 2G iPhone.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Wow! this yellow screen crap is devastating. Sorry for this! Here we go again...

I bought a 16gb touch last year after seeing the Iphone screen and thinking the touch would be the same, it was'nt, and even thou the touch I got did'nt suffer from the reverse black issue , it was a noticibly Inferior screen, washed out, no vivid colors. Apple is cheaping out on these screens and its a damn shame.

iGadget

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Out of interest, in the side-by-side pictures that have been posted, are the 3G and first-generation 2G iPhones running the same 2.0 software?

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
hahahahahahaha
the yellow sceen issue is now on the iphone

YES....Glad I slept in

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else's iPhone 3Gs have a yellow screen tint?

You can see it clearly in the following photo. The iPhone 3G is on the left, my old iPhone 2G is on the right. The 3G's one is distinctly yellow and dimmer than the 2G one when set to identical brightness.

View attachment 123560

I'm on the phone to Apple Support now to try to look into this fault. :(

Sebap3

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I just compared my new 16 gig to my old 8 gig and it has a yellow tint but I had to put them side by side to notice it.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I am telling you that even if you swap it then you will still have the yellow tint! It's because the screens are cheap now! I'm sorry to say it but it's true!

Apple will swap it for you in an apple store though despite what they may say on the phone. That is a fact. Providing you can convince the genius the tint is a defect. Find some dead pixels and yourl get a swap.

In the meantime enjoy the new phone and sons compare it to the old more expensive screens!

How do the ones look on display at the store, if someone brings a 2G to compare it to the demo are
they seeing the tint?

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Out of interest, in the side-by-side pictures that have been posted, are the 3G and first-generation 2G iPhones running the same 2.0 software?
Good question!

I couldn't get a new iPhone this morning (ran out), so now after reading this I'm hesitant to get one.

robd54

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
To me it just looks like the colour balance of the screen is set warmer. When I got my 16GB 1st gen I thought the same as it looked noticeably yellower than my 8GB one. However, after using it for a few days, It looked great and my old phone looked too blue.
The 16GB 3G one I've seen today appears to have exactly the same colour balance as my 16GB 1st gen and I can see why people who are used to the bluer screens would see it as yellow, but it's not a fault and it's not something to get stressed about and in a few days you'll get used to the warmer look of the new screens.
ATEOTD, they're not colour calibrated screens...

I agree with your post, I compared my old w/new and you can see a different color balance. I haven't really stared at it much or synched my movies, but i think parts of it look better then before. The old one has more blue tints. When you're looking at it w/out comparing to the old I think so far it looks great.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
I agree with your post, I compared my old w/new and you can see a different color balance. I haven't really stared at it much or synched my movies, but i think parts of it look better then before. The old one has more blue tints. When you're looking at it w/out comparing to the old I think so far it looks great.

So is this the biggest problem with the device? Should I not buy one?

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I put my new and old iPhones side by side and they're identical; no yellow tint to mine at all.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Macs in the past have used a Gamma of 1.8 on their Imacs and the norm is 2.2...It looks like this is running a stronger Gamma....However that can be corrected in an update if they choose to do so....Most likely they wont anytime soon....With the 2.2 gamma the screen is going to appear darker than the older version and your pictures and apps will look differnet....

The 2.2 Gamma can give deeper sat of colors and maybe this is due to gamming....Remember White Balance is totally subjectiv...Some like it warm some like it cold...Nothing wrong with the phone just different...

This is the price you have to pay esp when you were completely satisfied before and now see a difference not to your liking...I hate to say it but its better to wait esp when Jobs is strapping it on

To view this correctly take your phone in a total dark room...Better yet hold a white peice of printer paper next to the phone and see if the yellow cast is more visible...That would be interesting to know....

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
im in aus and the blacks look HORRIBLE! they look like absolute ****! i would take it back but it seems they're all yellower and once i send my original one away i wont notice, still annoys me and ill be complaining to apple

The blacks are horrible even on the 2g phone, the Itouch and Phone just lack contrast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.