Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
it does look different to the 1st ten but it's no big deal. Just looks warmer. It might be because the screen is deeper into the unit and therefore auto brightness detects light differently.

iGadget

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
I put my new and old iPhones side by side and they're identical; no yellow tint to mine at all.

Sonicjay, can you please post what software both are running. Are they both 2.0 (which is now officially available) with the same settings? If so, the problem that people are seeing may be a 2.0 issue.

ne0star

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
As per my post in a previous thread, I walked into my local O2 shop to buy a 16GB 3G, but decided to stop off at the demo stations first.

I noticed the yellow tinge straight away! You don't even need to do a side by side comparison its that obvious, and all 8 demo stations were exactly the same.

Its made even worse when you do a side by side comparison. I turned the brightness up on my V1 screen to do an exact comparison and it blew the 3G screen out the water. Even the attendant in O2 could see the difference.

3G is a nice bonus feature, but there is no way i'm trading my pristine v1 screen for that junk. I definitely won'tbe buying a 3G until the screen quality matches what I already have.

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
I think you guys should chill out a bit - I have a 2g phone, was worried about neg blacks originally, but it was fine. Then I buy my GF one, and her's is blue compared to mine... I was a little disappointed for her (she didn't care)... But when I thought about it, I realised that my craving for perfection was too OTT. Screens are very difficult to calibrate effectively - Even when you do it manually, it is difficult to see the difference. Sure, if you sit iPhones side by side, you're gonna see a different colour cast, but live with those phones for a week, and you won't notice a thing.

Consider the attached optical illusion, and compare the shades of the A and B squares... Different shades right? - Nope. So I think people should put things in perspective.

Attachments

• 200802081629-1.jpg
    200802081629-1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 447

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
From the 4 recent photos, the screen don't look that bad, just a bit warm. :confused: I prefer the older screen as well, but if you can set the white balance on the screen via a setting, it looks like you can fix it.

Keep in mind that an attempt to show the difference via a digital camera photo is going to be hit or miss. The auto white balance adjustments will try to even it out.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
I think you guys should chill out a bit - I have a 2g phone, was worried about neg blacks originally, but it was fine. Then I buy my GF one, and her's is blue compared to mine... I was a little disappointed for her (she didn't care)... But when I thought about it, I realised that my craving for perfection was too OTT. Screens are very difficult to calibrate effectively - Even when you do it manually, it is difficult to see the difference. Sure, if you sit iPhones side by side, you're gonna see a different colour cast, but live with those phones for a week, and you won't notice a thing.

Consider the attached optical illusion, and compare the shades of the A and B squares... Different shades right? - Nope. So I think people should put things in perspective.

i don't understand that picture.

Simon Young

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I've got a 'warm' screen here. I hesitate to call it yellow because it's really not. It's just a bit on the warm side - nothing a software update couldn't fix. I'm not letting it dampen my enjoyment of my first ever iPhone though. It's so flawless in all other regards that I can forgive it until we get an official response.

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007

I don't get the pic?

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
basically what he is saying is that the eye plays tricks on you....

However I say so does your brain...you will always know that the screen (in your mind is more yellow) thus your focus will be the 1st gen guys have something I dont....Sure 3G is faster but at what cost??? A yellow screen and dimmer looks to be one of them...Not so good when doing certian things..

I opt for a brighter sceen anyday without a yellow cast...W8 I have one

i don't understand that picture.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
I got my 16gb 3G iPhone today, didn't notice a colour problem, saw this thread, can now see (sorta) what some of you are saying, but it's only really apparent (for me) when the iPhone is tilted at an angle. It's not offensively yellow, it's more like some have said.....a warmer screen. I myself believe that this is fixable with firmware or similar. It really isn't that bad, and like I said, would never have considered it a problem until I saw this thread (I used to have an iPod Touch too).

Loving the 3G iPhone.

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
To those who do not understand the pic.
Believe it or not, both Box A and B are the same exact shade of grey.

If you still don't believe me, print out the pic in color.
Cut out Box A and B and put it next to each other ;)

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Yep, have it here slightly on my new UK 8 gig, not distinctly yellow.. but definately warmer.. i played monkey ball, messed about, tried a few apps and i really didn't notice it at all so im fine with it.

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008

Attachments

• 360px-Same_color_illusion_proof2.png
    360px-Same_color_illusion_proof2.png
    29 KB · Views: 162

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I first had a 16GB iPod touch, then bought and iPhone. When I compared the two side by side, the touch had a yellowish tint to it, similar to the pictures of the iPhone 3G on this thread. I just thought it was because of the quality being less than the iPhone's.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I didn't believe it so I opened it in CS3 - confirms that both squares are 120 R, 120 G, 120 B! surprising but true....

Whimsicool

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Washington DC
Compare the poster's pics of the yellow tinted 3G screen versus the clear cool screen of the iPhone pictured multiple times on Apple's front page.

Someone's got some 'splaining to do.

And oh yeah, I don't like the yellow. Glad I didn't buy a 3G today.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
No yellow screen here. In fact, the screen is absolutely gorgeous.

...I just wish I could activate it...

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Does anyone notice a pattern of complaints from UK customers, and dismissals by USA customers? Something to do with which batches were sent where, or something more sinister?

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone notice a pattern of complaints from UK customers, and dismissals by USA customers? Something to do with which batches were sent where, or something more sinister?
There may not be enough US customers yet--they only began selling them 2 hours ago.

Just a thought.

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
thanks for the people who explained the illusion... Yep - The squares A and B are exactly the same shade. So my point being, that the brain is not totally reliable when it comes to interpreting colours, shades, shapes. I'm not trying to fob off the differences in screen colour, but my point being that once u acclimatise yourself to using the iphone in the real world, I would bet a few quid that you won't notice any problem with the colour cast. It is bound to seem bad when you compare it to another phone. Even two 3g phones won't look the same.

The quest for perfection is ultimately doomed to disappointment.

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
This is what he is trying to get at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_color_illusion

Although I wouldn't put this color cast in the same "optical illusion" genre.

So is he telling us that our screens are the same color on the V1 & 3G, because believe me the aren't!

Maybe as mentioned earlier some guys have a slight tint, but for those of us who have e very obvious yellow screen it is totally unacceptable!! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.