Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
There may not be enough US customers yet--they only began selling them 2 hours ago.

Just a thought.

Good point. Personally i don't think its intentional, but is is possibly linked to which batches went where. We will know more later i suppose.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
The A square is the same color as the B square. It is an optical illusion. Do a selectable screenshot (shift+apple+4) of the two -- they are the same color.

Well unless im being think, or its my dyslexia, the a square is grey and the b is white!

justanothernerd

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
I've got a 'warm' screen here. I hesitate to call it yellow because it's really not. It's just a bit on the warm side - nothing a software update couldn't fix. I'm not letting it dampen my enjoyment of my first ever iPhone though. It's so flawless in all other regards that I can forgive it until we get an official response.

It's clearly not a software issue, as all the iPhones have the same software installed on them, yet some don't have yellow screens. If it were a software issue, everyone would have the same color setup..

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
wow - people can be pretty obtuse... I'm not saying the you don't have a valid point about the screen colour cast - All I'm attempting to say, is that you are viewing it (metaphorically) thru the prism of perfection. Ask yourself why someone felt the need to compare it with his 2g phone... And of course, it confirmed that it was indeed more yellow... My point being, and forgive me if I'm failing to explain myself adequately, that you are getting upset about a problem which may (or may not) dissolve once you start using your phone in the real world, and realise that the problem isn't as big as you thought it was. Just sayin' - that's all.

:)

EricP42

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
Hello all, this is my first post.

Im thinking that we need some of the people who claim to not have a yellow screen and the people who do to both do one of those new screen-capture things and post the picture so we can see a side by side comparison. It may give us even clearer results than a digital camera even though the difference can be seen with the digital camera. This should be done at an equal brightness setting of course. I would love to help but I do not have an iPhone yet.

Im not sure if the old iPhones have the screen-capture feature but if they do someone should of course put that picture up to to compare all 3 screens.

Anyone up for it?

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
London, England
So is he telling us that our screens are the same color on the V1 & 3G, because believe me the aren't!

Maybe as mentioned earlier some guys have a slight tint, but for those of us who have e very obvious yellow screen it is totally unacceptable!! :mad:

I've booked an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow. Let's see what they say.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Hello all, this is my first post.

Im thinking that we need some of the people who claim to not have a yellow screen and the people who do to both do one of those new screen-capture things and post the picture so we can see a side by side comparison. It may give us even clearer results than a digital camera even though the difference can be seen with the digital camera. This should be done at an equal brightness setting of course. I would love to help but I do not have an iPhone yet.

Im not sure if the old iPhones have the screen-capture feature but if they do someone should of course put that picture up to to compare all 3 screens.

Anyone up for it?
A screen capture isn't going to show you the problem. There's a problem with the lcd, not the images.

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
"Well unless im being think, or its my dyslexia, the a square is grey and the b is white!"

They're not - The B square is exactly the same shade as the A square - The brain interprets is as being white, because of the illusion of the shadow from the cylinder. The brain has adapted its interpretation of the shade of the square because of its context (in shadow). And this is my point, context is everything - And a real world context is much different to sitting in one's bedsit hunched over two phones, intermittently closing and opening one eye.

But hey, guys, if the pain of a slightly warmer screen is too much for you to stomach, take it back to Apple. It is no skin off mine.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
However I say so does your brain...you will always know that the screen (in your mind is more yellow) thus your focus will be the 1st gen guys have something I dont....Sure 3G is faster but at what cost???

I agree with your post, I compared my old w/new and you can see a different color balance. I haven't really stared at it much or synched my movies, but i think parts of it look better then before. The old one has more blue tints. When you're looking at it w/out comparing to the old I think so far it looks great.

I think that using the 2G iPhone's screen as some sort of standard is a really poor idea, as it may not be accurate either. Maybe the 3G's screen is only a tiny bit warmer than it should be, and the old 2G's screen was a tiny bit bluer than it should be. If the 3G model was then compared to the 2G model (rather than a correctly calibrated source), the difference is twice as big. It doesn't mean one is more correct.

That's why many people in this thread who have never had an iPhone have said that the screen looks great. :) It may be due to a lack of a 2G iPhone to compare to, or it may be due to the fact that they're comparing it to something that's less blue, like their computer screen, white paper, etc.

Besides, most of you probably don't calibrate your laptop LCD with a Spyder or GretagMacBeth screen calibrator of any sort, and yet I don't hear the same number of complaints about white balance and colours on your computers. Do people have far greater standards when it comes to the iPhone than their laptop and LCD monitors? :confused:

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
wow - people can be pretty obtuse... I'm not saying the you don't have a valid point about the screen colour cast - All I'm attempting to say, is that you are viewing it (metaphorically) thru the prism of perfection. Ask yourself why someone felt the need to compare it with his 2g phone... And of course, it confirmed that it was indeed more yellow... My point being, and forgive me if I'm failing to explain myself adequately, that you are getting upset about a problem which may (or may not) dissolve once you start using your phone in the real world, and realise that the problem isn't as big as you thought it was. Just sayin' - that's all.

:)

You pay good money for a premium device that doesn't look as good as the previous one and you call it being obtuse? Obtuse means not being perceptive to something, I think everyone was being very perceptive, therefore, non-obtuse.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
A screen capture isn't going to show you the problem. There's a problem with the lcd, not the images.

But you do not know now, do you??? It might be an issue with the 2.0 software.

There are WAY to many speculations in this thread and not enough hard evidence. This is not conducive to a productive discussion.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
You could test it by taking a screen dump and send it to a computer with a properly calibrated display and compare the iPhone and the screen dump on the good display.

ramblintoad

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008

There are WAY to many speculations in this thread and not enough hard evidence. This is not conducive to a productive discussion.

No it is not, both of my new iPhones have no yellow tint.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007

oh, calm down. I was talking about what he said about the screen shot.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I can assure you all my screens are calibrated with Eye one 2 and I would still be upset if I was used to the first gen Iphone brightness and tint..

But hey apple can do what they like and no way they are going to recall all the phones due to picky people....The masses wont even care but the techies will cry foul

I think that using the 2G iPhone's screen as some sort of standard is a really poor idea, as it may not be accurate either. Maybe the 3G's screen is only a tiny bit warmer than it should be, and the old 2G's screen was a tiny bit bluer than it should be. If the 3G model was then compared to the 2G model (rather than a correctly calibrated source), the difference is twice as big. It doesn't mean one is more correct.

That's why many people in this thread who have never had an iPhone have said that the screen looks great. :) It may be due to a lack of a 2G iPhone to compare to, or it may be due to the fact that they're comparing it to something that's less blue, like their computer screen, white paper, etc.

Besides, most of you probably don't calibrate your laptop LCD with a Spyder or GretagMacBeth screen calibrator of any sort, and yet I don't hear the same number of complaints about white balance and colours on your computers. Do people have far greater standards when it comes to the iPhone than their laptop and LCD monitors? :confused:

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006

But hey, guys, if the pain of a slightly warmer screen is too much for you to stomach, take it back to Apple. It is no skin off mine.

The pain is that we have an iPhone here in the UK with a faulty screen, we had to put up with the upgrading fiasco from O2 starting on the 7th (wasting 1/2 a day tryimg to place an order) & then, after queuing up from the middle of the night, their system crashed with the first orders each order taking at least 30 mins!

To top it all we come home and find that the product that with was all looking forward to is (for those affected) totally wrong - my wife has never used an iPone in her life so she has nothing to compare it to & she thinks there is someting wrong with the colors!!!

If I am not mistaken, you do not have a faulty screen - so please reserve your judgement until you experience one! :rolleyes:

prpodium

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
I was 8th in line at the AT&T in downtown Indianapolis. No yellow tint at all when compared to my friend's 1st generation iPhone (when using the same brightness settings).

It's amazing. I waited for the 2nd generation and I'm happy I did!!!

mgcbp7

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
PA
There is a noticeable difference between my 2G and 3G iPhone screens (cold vs warm tints). I hope this can be fixed. :(

Kavik

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Hey folks...just wanted to chime in here. I've had an opportunity to look at and compare over 40 first-gen iPhones and can tell you that there was a wide variation in screen quality, sharpness, brightness and color temperature even among the same LCD panel type. There are first-gen screens with blue, pink and yellow casts.

Probably the best screen is the 5-series (5755136) LCD's that were found in the original 4 and 8 GB batches last year, followed by the 7459072 panel. Both of these had "bluer" casts and more true whites. The 7455232 panels typically had a little better contrast (more "pop") but were warmer and sometimes downright reddish or yellow. These screens also had batches that were plagued with the negative black issue.

It's disappointing that Apple continues to use less than ideal LCD panels in its flagship products.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You pay good money for a premium device that doesn't look as good as the previous one and you call it being obtuse? Obtuse means not being perceptive to something, I think everyone was being very perceptive, therefore, non-obtuse.

Well it is obtuse because people don't seem to understand WB at all, and yet they're going to complain about this.

My guess is that Apple will say these phones are all within spec, they'll get some bad press, customers will be outraged, but the cacophony of cheers and applause from the large number of happy customers for the new iPhone 3G will be so loud that the complaints will only be heard in nerdy internet forums such as this one. ;) Also, the stock will go up despite your complaint.

Again, comparing your 3G iPhone to a 2G iPhone is a poor comparison unless you can guarantee that the 2G version has a screen that's properly calibrated, and not simply too blue. Maybe it was too blue, people got used to it, and are now using it as the standard for comparison. This doesn't mean the 3G iPhone's screen isn't yellow. Judging from the photos, it obviously is a little bit more yellow. It's just that the degree of yellow may not be as severe as people are making it out to be. :)

Furthermore, ACCURATE white balance depends on the source of light. On a partly cloudy day, your slightly yellow screen is going to look perfectly white. Same thing happens in photography, except your photos end up more blue on a cloudy (or partly cloudy) day. Many fluorescent lights are a bit bluish, so the iPhone will look good there too. There is no perfect WB for an LCD screen in every situation.

I think we're all going to have to wait until someone (Ars Technica or some other tech website) gives us the official word. ;)

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Hey folks...just wanted to chime in here. I've had an opportunity to look at and compare over 40 first-gen iPhones and can tell you that there was a wide variation in screen quality, sharpness, brightness and color temperature even among the same LCD panel type. There are first-gen screens with blue, pink and yellow casts.

Probably the best screen is the 5-series (5755136) LCD's that were found in the original 4 and 8 GB batches last year, followed by the 7459072 panel. Both of these had "bluer" casts and more true whites. The 7455232 panels typically had a little better contrast (more "pop") but were warmer and sometimes downright reddish or yellow. These screens also had batches that were plagued with the negative black issue.

It's disappointing that Apple continues to use less than ideal LCD panels in its flagship products.
I agree. I don't know how they can allow such horrible lcd panels in such a wonderful product. It just kills the excitement.

crudsponge

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Detroit
Side by Side Comparison

Found this on the Web. Side by Side Comparison.

3G Screen Definitely looks different. Should be interesting in the next couple days....

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 567
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 319
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.