iPhone 4.0 Beta Impressions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Seraphx17, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Seraphx17 macrumors member

Hey guys, as I am sure several of you are playing around with the beta right now, how is it? Is it extremely buggy? Is it fast? What kind of features are you digging?

I am downloading the beta right now, and I'll post my impressions as well soon.

But in the meantime, anyone who has played around with the beta, post your impressions!

2. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I have a legit copy, and I'm waiting to install it until I hear of no major issues on the phone. I still need this to use daily, and I don't want a lemon just yet. So basically, I'd love to hear some basic reviews on performance as well.

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Yes. I'm downloading it right now as well, and would love to hear what it can and cannot do.

Do Push notifications still work? Can apps run in the background if they don't have the APIs yet? What limitations are on it, and is it worth installing? How easy would it be to downgrade if it turned out to be too buggy?

4. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Loaded

Have it loaded- tested numerous apps- facebook, twitter and such no issues. Played with the Camera zoom, created a few folders. Calls, SMS and push all work. watching the battery drain will keep you posted.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I Am Shaking With Excitement I Wll Be Downloding It Soon!

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

And can apps run in the background without the APIs installed, like Pandora and Iheartradio?

7. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Any word on a better AVRCP implementation? Would love to be able to use all my BT headsets to drive the iPod.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

is the in app sms working in the beta? im curious what they mean by in app sms.

9. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

To the developers,

Do you guys get a full list of the 100+ new features? Is the API there to allow apps to use video/monitor out?

I just think that would be a game changer for a lot of games as well as apps like slingbox.

Thanks

10. amammad macrumors regular

Any sign of customizable email or SMS tones in iPhone os 4.0?

11. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I installed it and played with it for about 4 minutes (I'm syncing right now, so I won't be able to mess with it for about 20 minutes) but overall I think it's a great 1st beta. It does have minor glitches here and there, but it's surprisingly stable. I had all of the 3.0 betas as well, and the first 4.0 one is about as stable as Beta 3.0 beta 3 or 4 was. I'm actually really impressed.

12. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Can we get a report on app compatibility? I installed it on my iPod touch 2G, but I'm really disappointed by the lack of new features (I can't even change the home screen wallpaper) so I'm itching to download the new beta on my 3GS. Is this the same case as the 3.0 beta where there's no going back? Also, has anyone restored from a backup? How did it work out?

13. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I'm worried that if I installed 4.0 then I'll lose my ability to tether, which I use quite often. Tethering is enabled on my iPhone because I'm in Canada.

14. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

A whole FOUR minutes huh. LOL

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Apples apps - yes. Third party apps - no. There are no third party apps out now that support background. There won't be until 4.0 is officially released to all.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Then don't install 4.0. Lol. :rolleyes:

17. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Well since I'm a developer and I want to get ready for the new OS being released I don't really have much a choice. I was just voicing a concern.

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol. You're obviously not a good developer if you are worried about breaking tethering on your DAILY device. Most GOOD developers have a secondary (test) device they use for developing things.

So now, let's hear about how you don't want to or can't afford to purchase another phone or some excuse there of. :)

Do any of you read what you post or do you just post without reservation?

"I just gave my kid a gun. I am not sure what might happen. Do you think he will be ok?"

That's what your post sounded like. ;)

19. packetjunkie macrumors regular

I was unable to update; I kept receiving an Error Code 13 while trying to do the firmware update.

20. treichert macrumors 6502

Happened to me when I chose to update to 4.0 and had to little free space on the iPhone.

Had to restore with 4.0 and everything's fine now.

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

running it now...

some things that i like:

- threaded emails
    - i always hated backgrounds, but i like the default one Apple gave me :)
    - finally! organized my homescreen with folders. the phone is smart when making new folders and naming them
    - multi-tasking has been implemented perfectly. don't think i'll use it, but it's there anyways

things that are bothering me (and i can't complain because it's beta):

- searching through SMS/MMS does not work
    - a little sluggish but not perfect. (pretend 3.0 on the 3G but not as bad)

btw.. new 'Notes' and 'Calc' icons. the shade on the phone/ipod and messages app is darker.

overall.. good first impression, however where is the default background stored? (the one with the raindrops).

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It works for me. :confused:

23. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

installed it about an hour ago and so far so good. I put all my apps on it and organized them into folders. I tested multitasking and everything seems to work good. My only issue is finding the original wallpaper after changing it, it doesn't seem to come back. The game center works but i don't know how to work it yet

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

okay now it works.. it wasn't working before though :confused:

do you know where the wallpaper is stored? i wanna change it and see how it looks with different ones, but i wanna be able to go back to it..

25. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Anyone tried syncing with itunes after creating folders? Release notes say the folders might get deleted after a sync?