iPhone 4 at the beach

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanggxAmanda, Aug 19, 2010.

1. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Me and some friends are going to the beach this weekend before school starts. I only have a bumper, no screen protectors so what should I do to protect it? I have to bring my phone, cant leave it home. I need it in case my parents call or an emergency, etc. I heard sand can still get into a ziploc so suggestions? Thanks :)

2. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Spend $10-$20 on an old AT&T/Unlocked phone on craigslist (unless you already have one) then pick up or make your own micro sim adapter and use that phone at the beach, leave the iPhone in the car.

4. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

I went to Hawaii last week. I just used a heavy duty small ziploc for sand and salt water protection. Make sure it's a heavy duty, it works well for me for a week. And bring some extra too.

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Lol

6. Surely Guest

Surely

You heard that? From who? How would sand get in...... wait, unless you mean when it's opened or has a hole in it.

A ziploc will work perfectly. I've been doing that every time I go to the beach for the past 2.5 years that I've owned an iPhone.

7. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

I may be paranoid, but I'm always worried that it might get stolen at the beach, and that's why my phone stays in the car or even at home if I don't plan to stay at the beach long. :)

8. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

I actually heard it from a thread on here awhile back and I couldn't find it so I posted another thread for a solution.

Maybe I'll try a heavy duty one like the person above said. Idk I really baby my phone :/

9. tfrees macrumors member

Go to your local sporting goods store like rei and buy a waterproof case. They should be around $10-15 but it's worth the investment.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

11. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

saran wrap and rubber bands:) worked for me..make sure you wrap it like 4 times..

12. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Oh really? I actually thought they'd be more like in the 20-30 range so now I'll stronglyy consider it. Thanks :)

13. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

i can confirm this works. In fact to be safe, double ziploc it. I did this for snowboarding trip and even dropped it in the snow without consequence.

14. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Thanks! Yeah I searched up "iPhone at the beach" and couldn't find it lol

15. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

I guess if people say it works I'll go for it, its the cheapest solution by far too so that's a plus :)

16. coolings macrumors member

if you want to go truly protected get a pelican case. they make one for the iphone. it even as a through jack for headphones. it is about $20. i use it on my boat and at the beach. i wouldnt even worry if it fell in the ocean as long as the case was closed.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=i1015

17. iamartimus macrumors 6502

I agree with a previous poster and go to a sporting goods store and get a waterproof case. I always place my phone in one of these before I go fishing, and even if I get drenched, the phone stays well protected. Less than $15 bucks and protects better than an Otterbox. In fact, I think Otterbox makes a case like this as well.
    If you don't go this route and want to go the cheap route and use a ziplock bag, make sure it's a freezer bag and not a thin one. If you wanna be extra safe, put you phone in a ziplock then put it in the case, that way when you use the phone and take it out of the case and accidental drop it in the sand, it's still protected. Better safe than sorry. From personal experience, stay away from those "waterproof" ziplock style cases that look like really thick ziplocks. Those do leak.

18. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

are you going to be drinking alcoholic beverages?

19. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

NO. why would you think that? I'm driving my car with about 5 of my friends in it, wouldn't even take that risk

20. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Wow you all have really good points. I'm stuck between the heavy duty ziploc and a waterproof case. I go to the beach about 10 times every summer but maybe more next year so maybe I should invest in the waterproof case... Idk :/

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

zip locks are less than $3 for a box.
    I would recommend trying that out and then go for the case.

Does anyone now if the iphone 4 fits in the snack size bags?

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've used a freezer ziploc bag with my iPhone when I go to the beach and never had a problem with sand. The thing is, you have to be careful if you take it out of the bag to take pictures or make calls.

I'd be more nervous leaving your iPhone in a car on a hot summer day.

23. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

I'm most likely not taking pictures or making calls unless my parents call so it shouldn't be a problem. The thing is im a big texter so is the screen still responsive while in the bag? That would be a problem if it isn't :/

24. Orange™ macrumors 6502

You don't need a special case for a trip to the beach! Some of you are over reacting and letting your technology control you. :rolleyes:

I've been to the beech 5 times in the last month with my iPhone 4!!!
    3 times to hang out on the sand and swim, casual lounging.
    The other 2 times were long beach walks.

I had my iPhone 4 all those times and never got sand damage and used it quite frequently. :D Just don't throw it in the sand? I set mine in my bag or on my towel while lounging.

This special case business is nonsense! :eek: I do use a bumper though! (But those are free)

25. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

I thought you're only 16? Can your friends ride with you if your the one driving?