Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I barely get 5 hours of usage and 2 days of standby, is this normal for iPhone 4? This is by just just checking mails and browsing the internet with Wi-Fi.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I barely get 5 hours of usage and 2 days of standby, is this normal for iPhone 4? This is by just just checking mails and browsing the internet with Wi-Fi.

Do a search. There are a lot of threads about battery usage. And no one would be able to tell you based on your post because you didn't post what your usage was. What your settings were. And even if you did - there are still lots of other factors.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Do a search. There are a lot of threads about battery usage. And no one would be able to tell you based on your post because you didn't post what your usage was. What your settings were. And even if you did - there are still lots of other factors.

I have the same settings I had with my 3GS and I must say I don´t get more battery life than my 3GS.

-Brightness 20%
-Manual email

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Do you always have Bluetooth on? Wi-Fi? 3G? Push? Brightness?

the list goes on. Manufacturers basically say the device will last X amount of time with the lowest(for lack of a better word) settings. Meaning they have everything off, etc.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
As in 48 hours of standby. Gee wizz, how much do you want out of a smartphone? Try a droid, that won't last a full day from what I read. What kind of expectations did you have, and what kind of phone did you have prior to iP4?

Andy

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I don´t mean to bash the iPhone 4´s battery life, I just expected more. Basically I don´t get a minute more than I got with my 3GS with exactly the same settings. And I´ve seen some guys getting over 7 hours with 3 day standby.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I get a fair amount more. I used to have to charge my phone with a external battery for about 40 minutes on the way to work to keep above 20 to 30% while playing a game. Now I can play a game one the way to work and back and only sometimes get the 20% warning by the time I get home. far better life for me.

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
if you can get 5-7 hours of moderate to heavy use, you're fine.

The people on here getting 7+ hours use their iphone as an ipod.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
ok we had a topic about this before but i didnt pitch in so heres my usage....

brightness 80%
pandora runs for like 4 hours..
i surf web for like 2 hours
watch like 20 or so youtube
mail set to 30 min push/2 push apps
i do heavy stuff i get a around 5/6 hours..and most time the screen is on..this sits on my desk at work..i abuse the iphone 4 like crazy i cycle the battery when i need to..

the battery will last depend on your settings..3G sucks bit more battery

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
ok we had a topic about this before but i didnt pitch in so heres my usage....

brightness 80%
pandora runs for like 4 hours..
i surf web for like 2 hours
watch like 20 or so youtube
mail set to 30 min push/2 push apps
i do heavy stuff i get a around 5/6 hours..and most time the screen is on..this sits on my desk at work..i abuse the iphone 4 like crazy i cycle the battery when i need to..

the battery will last depend on your settings..3G sucks bit more battery

You cant set PUSH to 30min.. Either you have PUSH ON or Fetch On to 30min..

But PUSH and 30min does not mean that it checks using PUSH every 30min..

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
The battery life on the iP4 is really good. You have something running in background that should be turned off.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don´t mean to bash the iPhone 4´s battery life, I just expected more. Basically I don´t get a minute more than I got with my 3GS with exactly the same settings. And I´ve seen some guys getting over 7 hours with 3 day standby.

Nobody is getting over 7 hours with 3 day standby, unless they have Airplane Mode on and are just using it for music.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Nobody is getting over 7 hours with 3 day standby, unless they have Airplane Mode on and are just using it for music.

I get 10-12 hours usage and around 48 hours standby on the weekend surfing on wifi, where my 3G signal is good. That’s basically what the phone is rated for. 6-7 hours on weekdays using 3G to surf is also normal for me. It’s definitely an improvement for me coming from the 3G iPhone.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
No phone on Iphone 4 (like ipod touch )
wifi light browsing
50% autobrightness
bt off
manual email
push facebook, boxcar, meebo

2 hours ~17 min with 34%

Getting mine replaced at Apple Store I hope...

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I get 10-12 hours usage and around 48 hours standby on the weekend surfing on wifi, where my 3G signal is good. That’s basically what the phone is rated for. 6-7 hours on weekdays using 3G to surf is also normal for me. It’s definitely an improvement for me coming from the 3G iPhone.

You get 10-12 hours usage and 2 day standby running purely off wifi? Whats that mean? 3G is OFF?

Give us your setup as I don't believe you one bit..

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
As in 48 hours of standby. Gee wizz, how much do you want out of a smartphone? Try a droid, that won't last a full day from what I read. What kind of expectations did you have, and what kind of phone did you have prior to iP4?

Andy

wrong, droid users get about same battery usage, if not a bit more than iP4 users, depending on the specific phone.

For instance, the Droid X does really well with battery management.
The Droid Incredible, not so well due to the AMOLED screen/snapdragon processor.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
OP, did you just get your iPhone 4? When I first got mine I barely got 5 hours of usage on 3G. Now it's been almost 2 weeks and I'm getting closer to 7 hours.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
OP, did you just get your iPhone 4? When I first got mine I barely got 5 hours of usage on 3G. Now it's been almost 2 weeks and I'm getting closer to 7 hours.
How is everyone able to talk about their device's battery life as if they are doing the exact same thing with it each day? Unless you are doing a controlled experiment, you are using your phone differently from day to day.

Everyone does this, and on top of that, everyone uses their phones differently even if the settings are the same. I could say I get 12 hours of usage with my EVO, but 3 of those hours it might sit on my desk not being used. Everyone has a different idea of "usage".

I highly doubt anyone here can say that their phone will allow them to surf the web (at least one page load per minute) or chat on the phone with someone for 7 hours straight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.