Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 4 Bumpers Once Again For Sale Through Apple's Online Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has once again started offering its iPhone 4 bumpers for sale in its online store following the end of the free case program, which expired September 30th. While the bumpers had quietly reappeared for sale in the company's retail stores as of October 1st, the online store continued to list the bumpers as "currently unavailable" until today.

All six bumper colors are currently available, priced at $29 and available for shipping within 24 hours.

Article Link: iPhone 4 Bumpers Once Again For Sale Through Apple's Online Store

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Jus call and complain to customer service about your reception problem and you can still get a free bumper. I can't wait till iPhone 5 and an antenna that's not exposed

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Really? What a joke. I got my free one and I regret not choosing a free case from one of the other manufacturers. There's no way in hell that I can understand how Apple feels it's alright to charge $29 for this piece of garbage. (BTW, not a troll! I love everything I've ever purchased from Steve, but this is one item I think needs to DISAPPEAR. Or be sold for $2.25.)

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Think it's too expensive? Don't buy it. The beauty of the open market at work.

Think the antenna problem is going to ruin the phone for you? Don't buy it. The beauty of the open market at work.

Complain here? Waste of time.

Comment

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Kinda funny how they still show pictures of the bumpers on the WHITE iPhone even though it is STILL not available.

Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
$29? What a rip off. It can't cost them more than 59 cents to produce!

$29 is steep, but in fairness they are actually pretty nice. They are much more then a simple rubber band. It's a hard plastic frame, with soft rubber edges and physical buttons that push through the the phone underneath.
Besides, if you still want a free (black) one, just call Apple and tell them your signal drops.

Comment

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
This is only good news if you're an Apple shareholder :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm happy with my free - non apple - case ;)

Comment

LanPhantom

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Hooper, UT
White iPhone

I find it interesting that the graphic they choose to use is the white iPhone which isn't even available.... they should have shown these bumpers on a black iPhone to better represent the look you might achieve when you select a given color.

BTW, I have a black bumper and it works great.

LanPhantom

Comment

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
29 bucks???? what.....

that o-ring cost 29 bucks. I really do not understand the accountant who come out with this type of price.

Comment

turbineseaplane

macrumors 604
Mar 19, 2008
For those with a black bumper who were thinking of grabbing a colored one.

Beware. The materials are different.

I grabbed a green one and promptly returned it when I discovered it's a "hard plastic" edge and not the nice rubber of the black bumper.

The net effect was that the phone will slide all over car seats and countertops with the colored bumpers where it would stay put perfectly with the rubber grip on the black bumper.

Bummer.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
So does that mean that post September-30th phones have some sort of antenna fix?

Yes, its no longer being blown out of proportion by mainstream news media. Not saying there isn't an issue, its just not headlines anymore....

Comment

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
I find it interesting that the graphic they choose to use is the white iPhone which isn't even available.... they should have shown these bumpers on a black iPhone to better represent the look you might achieve when you select a given color.

BTW, I have a black bumper and it works great.

LanPhantom

I hear ya but they probably chose the white because of better contrast.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Why all the shock at the $29 price? That was its original price. Then it was free, and now it's back to its original price.

Astounding how many business experts hang out here to tell us why Apple doesn't know what it's doing. Grateful for you spending your time here instead of running your business.

Comment

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I bought a bumper at launch - it's OK. I stopped using it because I liked the feel of the naked iPhone in my hand better.

Today I recieved my free Speck Pixel Skin HD and you know what? It's really good. More bulky than the bumper but very nice feel and finish. I'll use it when I'm taking my iPhone somewhere I feel it'll need a bit more protection.

Final point - Apple will sell things for the price people will pay for them. Do people not understand capitalism?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.