iPhone 4 hd video recording demo "very poor quality!"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chakraj, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I just watched apple hd video of the water and the SF bridge or whatever bridge that was and the quality was terrible. It was fuzzy and didnt look 720p or hd, if I played that on my TV it would look so bad, I couldnt even watch it on my computer screen. Then I checked out a hd video recorded by a evo4g and it looked great compaired to the iphone 4 video.

The only reason I stuck with the iPhone this year was because the video recording quality was supposed to be sooo good, and I have a two year old daughter I want to record all I can. Does anyone have a good example of or a link to an example of iphone 4 hd video??

After the terrible 12hr pre order experience if the video looks that bad I will be selling my iPhone and getting the 2gig Moto droid when it comes out.

What are your thoughts?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm not really sure what you are seeing, but I thought the video recording that apple released was pretty good for a camera phone. If you are expecting it to be on par with a real video camera or even a Flip HD, then you will be disappointed with any phone out currently. The EVO on the other hand takes some rather disappointing video. The frame rate is so horrendus that a video of anything moving is extremely choppy. Maybe search YouTube to get some actual videos posted by users from the EVO. You won't find any videos from the iPhone until it is released.

3. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

4. I AN LEGEND macrumors regular

5. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I have been looking for a real 720p video (NOT downscaled to Youtube or some crap like that) from the iPhone 4 to evaluate. Any links available?

I can tell you that the EVO 720p quality is just atrocious. Record even drops to 10 fps in low light! No joke!

6. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I suggest rewatching the video. I went by a sprint store to see how well it recorded and I wasn't impressed at all even considering it's a camera phone. It was slightly sharper than a 3GS but extremely blocky and gittery trying to focus on things. I haven't had a chance to see the iPhone 4 video in person but if it's anything like the video your talking about then I'm thoroughly impressed.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

The video IMO was better than footage I have seen from an hd flip cam

But not better than my Aiptek GVS hd cam.

8. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I wouldn't count on any smartphone camera to capture something that important.

Maybe keep your current phone and buy a real camera.

9. tuna macrumors 6502

Yeah I feel Apple ratcheted up the marketing ******** for iPhone 4, as they usually do for their major releases, and there is a whole lot that you have to read between the lines. One of those things is the fact that a phone camera, no matter how many terrapixels it shoots, is still going to be limited by its ****** lens and quality is going to be poor. That said, you're carrying around your phone anyway and the camera doesn't take up much space. People will still get use out of it taking impromptu pics and videos. You can't believe that it will be a real camera replacement. It never good be. The physics of how light travels means that quality lenses are always going to be too bulky to fit in a compact phone. And even if lenses get smaller, phones will get smaller too and people will still prefer a smaller phone.

10. chakraj thread starter macrumors 65816

chakraj

11. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Huh? Apple said the exact same thing. Megapixels don't matter as much as the quality of the lens.

12. ttech10 macrumors 6502

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

14. chakraj thread starter macrumors 65816

chakraj

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

It's the Golden Gate Bridge for heaven's sake.

16. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

You can't judge anything from YouTube uploads. You need the original mp4 files.

17. ttech10 macrumors 6502

18. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Too late. Also try to download the video to your desktop and view it from there. I know for a fact that it's not playing in 720p... My monitor right now is only set at 1200x1024, and it's only taking up 1/3 of the screen... so more like 360p.

19. chakraj thread starter macrumors 65816

chakraj

Ok Like I said I hope your right since I already ordered and I really want it to work great :)

I cant zoom in enough to tell if its better or not, Darn you apple !!

20. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

My god that's gorgeous...

21. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

22. samcraig macrumors P6

How do you know the video on youtube wasn't re-compressed. How do you know it's not equiv to the RAW video file from the 4G?

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The video taken with the iPhone does not take 1280*720 pixels on Apple's site. All this guy did with that video was screen record what Apple had posted in a small pixel area of their site. This is not a fair comparison.

24. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Watch the video on Apple posted above. If the EVO video still looks better to you, you may need spectacles.

25. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

+1. Videos uploded to YouTube are usually transcoded and often downsampled. To judge the quality we would have to see the original .mov containing the unedited 1280x720 H.264 stream.