iPhone 4 lost to EVO on CNET prizefight...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshwithachance, Jul 14, 2010.

1. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Reviews like this I take with a grain of salt. A large grain that is.

YMMV.

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Oh noes, it lost by .2

I've used both, Iphone 4 wins in my prize fight. Which is really all that matters.

4. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I hope they update it after the software update and eventual hardware revision where the antenna comes laminated. But they won't, oh well. :rolleyes:

5. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

HTC/Sprint paid those people off, definitely.

;)

6. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

You mean next year?

7. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I don't have much experience with the EVO - but that seemed like a pretty fair comparison.

I certainly wouldn't have given EVO a good score in the looks department. That thing is fugly! And am I the only one that thinks that the 'kickstand' is a stupid idea?

What it all comes down to is the blaring defect - the antenna issue... while for most people it certainly hasn't been a deal breaker (self-included, not even close) it certainly can't be overlooked in a fair comparison... In my opinion, iPhone should have won out in all categories except when it came to the reception issue.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

First time I saw iPhone lost in a CNET prize fight was the 3GS losing to the Nexus One. Eventually, Android will take over. Since the release of the G1 in Oct 2008, Android has made huge strides in 21 months compared to iPhone that has been around for more than 36 months.

But honestly, why take these bouts so seriously? It is all tongue and cheek. I can't stand Veronica Belmont. The Nokia N95 got completely shortchanged against the 2G iPhone.

9. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

The EVO always wins in the features category because it has 4G, which isn't fair because NOWHERE has 4G and Sprint charges $10 more to have it...

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Because they don't impugn the device's ability to function as a phone?

I test drove an EVO out yesterday. I don't like capacitive buttons (part of the reason the Droid X is so attractive to me with the physical buttons). I also don't like Sense UI (I feel it slows it down compared to stock Android). But the device itself is very solid.

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

The antenna issue made the iPhone lose. I saw this coming before I even watched the video.

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Two words: Click Bait

If the review showed the iPhone on top, then it would not get nearly as many clicks (and ads revenue).

The iPhone may or may not be better, but that does not matter because at the current moment, its cool to punish the Apple iPhone.

13. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Well, if you don't mind:
    Massive Size
    Battery Hogging
    Ungrounded Screens
    Screens which Fall Off

Yea, it's great. Oh, hope you like paying a $10/mo premium just to own an EVO AND if you like to use it as a Wi-Fi hot spot, that will cost you $30/month extra too. To each their own taste.

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I guess I need to return my iPhone!

I do with the iPhone screen were maybe 4". 4.5 is big.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It was a fair comparison. The iPhone won in a number of other categories, so if call performance is not so high on your list, then perhaps you can discount that last round. People seem to have this expectation that the iPhone must be the best at everything it does.

16. Areohdee macrumors newbie

Well who didn't see this coming !!!

The Evo wins... Almost every real news letter/tech journal has already stated that the Evo is better than the iphone 4, so this is no surprise to me... Having used both for long periods of time, the evo is a neuter phone/all in one over all... The iphone 4 does many great things and some even better than the Evo, BUT the Evo just does way more.... So yea the Evo wins, and yes I already knew this as I ditched the 3gs and went Android a while ago... Iphones are great, but this one was dated upon release which has never been the case. Shame on them for this, I wanted the higher camera, the radio, the kick stand, the hdmi out, the 4G, etc... Apple wouldn't give me the latest & greatest, so I went Evo... There was a free 30 trial, so I did it, I can't even remember why I lived with such restrictions for so long... Goodbye Apple, Hello Htc.... Evo

17. camarobh macrumors 6502

I don't pay any attention to any CNET review. They have no idea what they are talking about, they always have an agenda, and they are basically clueless.

18. woofermazing macrumors member

Three of those have been fixed. Our problems haven't even been acknowledged.

19. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

All I know is that I'd never fork over MY OWN MONEY for an EVO 4G.

You think AT&T is bad, Sprint is worse. I've owned some HTC products in the past, they aren't good that's for sure.

30fps cap on the evo 4g. Sure you can get some XDA hacks to fix this, but you paid for a crippled device - just like the iPhone 4; which makes this review dumb.

20. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

and the ONLY reason it lost was because of the phone part.

i wonder how apple feels...they touted the new antenna design as a feat of brilliant engineering. it's actually the phones Achilles heel.

21. Fidget08 macrumors regular

Fidget08

Your gonna get rick rolled for this comment by some people. And to tell you the truth you deserve it lady. HAHA ^ Because you complain more than my girlfriend :)

22. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Don't forget to wash it down with some concentrated Apple Kool-aid!

23. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Well then they are complete morons. The EVO is a previous-gen phone, the iPhone is next-gen and that's the bottom line.

The EVO camera is complete garbage, they put a 8 MP camera without the optics or the image processing to support it. The end result is an 8 MP camera that looks worse than a 2 MP camera. A camera that isn't even in the same league as iPhone 4's 5 MP camera. Oh but EVO has "8 MP", I guess it must be better because I'm an idiot reviewer who reads boxes instead of reviewing phones :rolleyes:

CNET is a complete joke.

24. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i can see where iphone lost in call quality but not features, just because an editor found the apps he wanted doesnt mean everyone else has, a lot of people i know hate android because there are no apps, they were expecting an iphone for verizon but when they actually got it they were disappointed, and also that wireless hotspot, which is a cool feature, is not apples fault, thats att. if att allowed free tethering there would be a few apps already out for it. i think that it was a very fair comparison for the most part except that category.

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

For the longest time back in the early to mid 2000's, I always felt CNET was also very biased toward Sony products.

I guess no different to other tech sites biased towards Apple.