iPhone 4 - Simply nothing compares

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Was in a shop today,

Tried: Galaxy S, HTC Desire HD, Nokia C7, Samsung Omnia 7 and the iPhone 4.

Simply, they all suck compared to the iPhone.

None of them offer a UI that is as consistent and feels as unified at the iOS.

Galaxy S and Desire HD with their powerful processors and GPUs are still totally laggy, jittery and slow, made me wonder, what's the point of all those dual core CPUs, huge RAMs and powerful graphics chips when Android is simply not ready to take advantage of any of that? There is no hardware acceleration, and it tells.

Then there is the UI, edge bounce effects are present in some applications and menus, absent in others, some applications look native, some look like they came from a different phone, there is no consistency at all, in the iPhone everything is consistent, if something pops up, even insignificant, and you scroll up and down there is bounce effect, everything looks "integrated" and native, all that is simply absent in Android.

iPhone's and iOS's touch detection and keyboards are also much better.

Nokia C7 and Symbian feels like I'm in some cold Siberian nuclear bunker using a command line terminal, it's in a MAJOR need for a UI overhaul. Problems when scrolling with it registering your taps and opening up whatever, annoying. Although, it's menus did feel a bit smoother than the Android, the homescreen has a lag after you swipe, supposed to be fixed in an update.

WP7, meh... I didn't dig the UI, too all over the place, too square and monotone, although the UI is more consistent than Android and Symbian, there are bounce effects however they are limited, you get the bending effect but then run in to a "wall". Overall just not impressed by it at all.

Apple are just incredible to create such an amazing platform with nothing to reference or copy, incredible.

Before you call me biased, I'd like to note that I don't own any of the above listed devices, nor I have a frequent interaction with any of them.

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

You're not biased, you stated a fact.

3. g35 macrumors 6502a

How about any other Apple products?

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.1; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRH78) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Gingerbread has sorted some of those Android issues you posted about. Instead of a bounce you get a orange hue at the tip of the screen when you reach the end of a list.

It's worked in all scrollable apps for me so far so hopefully its a universal effect.

From what I've seen if Windows Phone 7, it has the most polished and smooth (iPhone like) ui I've seen so far.

Symbian on the other hand is really behind the curve when it comes to modern smartphone OS's. The time I've spent with a friends Nokia N8 really showed me how behind Symbian is. The sad thing is that Nokia make some rock solid handsets.

The iPhone certainly raised the bar tho and continues to excel in some areas. I don't think smartphone fans have ever had it so good

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

So you decided all this in and hour or 2 or 3 or 4? Not disputing whether you are right or wrong just the fact that it takes a few weeks of use with any single type of device to really "get used to it." Going from one you may have used for months or years and are comfortable with then "trying" another totally different device for an hour or 2 or less really isn't enough use to give you a true feel.

6. Perihelion macrumors regular

My colleagues and I have this discussion pretty regularly. I've got the iPhone 4 and between the rest of the team, many of these other devices are covered off. I've spent some time with each of those devices and at the end of the day, I wouldn't trade my iPhone for any of them. I know each of those other devices have this and that that they do better than the iPhone but i like the consistency of the experience on the iPhone and how well everything integrates together. The experience is that much smoother IMO.

7. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I agree! :D

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This is what fandroids don't get. It doesn't matter if "they get sorted out later". It is simply not something Google is good at or cares about: UI/UX. Apple is a design company and user experience is its #1 priority. You don't "sort out" user experience. It is an attitude when you develop things in the first place. It is not something you "fix".

Android will never ever come close to what iOS is now or in the future.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think most of his problems are from UI inconsistency. If he could tell that in a few hours then there's definitely an issue.

10. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Worst assessment in Macrumors history.

I'm glad there are impartial professional bloggers and reviewers out there who give accurate information and credible reviews unlike yourself :rolleyes:

BTW fanboyisim is an ugly thing :rolleyes:

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

At what is available RIGHT NOW, yes. No question. iPhone 4 is the 2010 Phone of the Year even with the complaints.

Since I use Google'a Chrome, Microsoft's Windows and Zune software, and Apple'a iProducts, I never really get too complacent with just ONE product or anything. Like what I want in women, variety is the spice of life. I do follow other competitors. But Apple is at its peak right now. Eventually they will decline like anything in life whether athleticism or income flow. Like Michael Jordan in the Washington Wizards or Brett Favre now, we all get old and tiresome. But to "revolutionize" the cell phone again like in 2007? Never again. iPhone is their Mona Lisa. I would love to see Apple target other markets and manufacture their own cameras someday. The irony is Windows were the ones that made Apple relevant again during the last 7-8 years once iTunes were compatible to PC. Before the iPod and iPhone, not everything Apple did was "revolutionary" or "magical" to the masses during the 1990's sans Uncle Steven. I don't care how much their keynote and Jobs' "charisma" wants to brainwash people.

BTW, I used to ridicule Nokia N8 but find their build quality top notch. It doesn't really scratch. Far more rock solid than the brittle and shatter prone iPhone 4. Too bad it has Symbian. If Nokia can recreate something similar to the N8 with the WP7, I would look into it.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'd have to agree. Each platform has it's merits, some of which surpass ios but in terms of overall experience and polish, iOS edges it imho.

People have been saying Apple would eventually fall and yet the industry is still waiting...and waiting...

13. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

you know I was in a similar situation this week. got pretty caught up in the droid camp. went to go look at them in the Verizon store (well it was hard to concentrate with some screaming customers lol) and they both felt so unpolished. I like direction the droid is taking (both x and 2 global) but the android feels so windows vista ish... the widgets while interesting concept feel pointless and clunky and the apps are basically 1/2 developed. The overall presentation of the software just didint to compare to the clean tactile (yet boring as hell) ios. I am getting an iphone 4 and was not really excited till I started downloading apps and video podcasts... so much free quality content its really amazing...

14. JD914, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Did the fantastic new notification tones make iPhone phone of the year? :rolleyes:

15. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Sorry OP, but WP7 UI makes iOS look like kiddy software.
    Same goes to Zune software and iTunes.

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

[​IMG]

I see your point, WP7 is just too square, not like iOS.

17. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

LOL! This thread along with the OP's opinion is hilarious. Some people need to read more and post less.

18. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

None.

[​IMG] I see your point, WP7 is just too square, not like iOS.[/QUOTE][/IMG]

That's not square, this is square and so bland.

[​IMG]

When did I claim to be a professional blogger(lol at being a "professional blogger"), and reviewers offer exactly that a REVIEW, not an opinion, they usually have a very small neutral opinion in the end but nothing sharp.

And please, go ahead and tell exactly what was inaccurate in my "review"... go ahead point it out.

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am fine with Android UI and OS. The problem is the hardware. They are all plastic and cheaply made. Iphone 4 is not made out of just plastic. It has glass and metal. It has high and premium look and feel to it.

20. walie macrumors 6502a

until you drop it

21. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

That's not only a beta version of the software, but it's also lacking most of the default icons.

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

When did the OP state he was making a review?

This is an opinion with a lot of valid points.

23. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

not square enough for you?

here:

[​IMG]

24. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

There are no points, there is just an opinion. Mileage may vary.

25. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It being square isn't the issue. You picked a horrible picture to prove a weak point. How does it being square make it bad? With iOS you're stuck with useless icons that don't show you any information whatsoever. Hell, the Weather app always shows you the same temperature. WP7 shows information in its icons via Live Tiles, and has a much better notifications system. OS-wise, WP7 craps all over iOS in every way. It's smoother than iOS, has better notifications, isn't as locked down, has a more practical home screen, has a better music player, will get Flash support, shows information on the lock screen, has Mobile Office, has a better app updating system as well as a more practical Market app, better social integration, Live integration, etc. Only thing keeping iOS the winner for now is the App Store.