Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I think Blackberry 6 looks nice and the Torch is okay but as usual with RIM, it's more evolutionary than revolutionary. What do you guys think? How do the two devices compare?

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
To be honest you can't compare this to the iPhone 4 but you can definitely compare it to the 3GS.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Exactly. That's why it's time to see what people think.

I think until the reviews start to come out and people actually start using the device, it is very unfair to judge anything.

Their new OS looks slick and the hardware is pretty good... I actually can't wait to try and use their new WebKit based browser (even with pinch to zoom!)

Based on Engadget hands on video, everything looks fairly smooth with no noticable lags but again, I want to try it hands on myself before giving any judgment ;)

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I think until the reviews start to come out and people actually start using the device, it is very unfair to judge anything.

Their new OS looks slick and the hardware is pretty good... I actually can't wait to try and use their new WebKit based browser (even with pinch to zoom!)

Based on Engadget hands on video, everything looks fairly smooth with no noticable lags but again, I want to try it hands on myself before giving any judgment ;)

How can you say the hardware is pretty good with this being 2010? Have you seen what is coming out now, obviously you have because you have a iPhone4.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
To be honest you can't compare this to the iPhone 4 but you can definitely compare it to the 3GS.

I wouldn't even compare it to the 3GS. Minds well compare it to an old windows phone because that phone is buggy looking at the video on engadget.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
How can you say the hardware is pretty good with this being 2010? Have you seen what is coming out now, obviously you have because you have a iPhone4.

It's... Blackberry....
It has the same RAM as iPhone, much better formfactor than previous BB, 5MPx camera with flash, same screensize as lower end Android phones...

I don't see what's the problem? They're not designing this to be your multimedia phone like the iPhone and they shouldn't! I like to think Blackberry is a business phone with consumer feature added on whereas iPhone is just the opposite. ;)

More importantly, this new OS6 is kind of exciting and I can't wait to try it out at least...

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
It's a good thing they're trying to target corporate people. They're used to using 5 year old OSs on similarly aged screens. They won't notice the retarded 480x320 display. On the other hand, if they want the average consumer to buy into the BB platform, they're SOL. BBM and emails aren't that exciting anymore. And there are much better executed Social Networking convergence platforms than what they're offering.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
It's... Blackberry....
It has the same RAM as iPhone, much better formfactor than previous BB, 5MPx camera with flash, same screensize as lower end Android phones...

I don't see what's the problem? They're not designing this to be your multimedia phone like the iPhone and they shouldn't! I like to think Blackberry is a business phone with consumer feature added on whereas iPhone is just the opposite. ;)
The iPhone is headed more and more into the enterprise market with each new iOS release. I definitely wouldn't say the iPhone is just the opposite. Just my $0.02. ;)

zacharace

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Bexley, OH, USA
I'm actually pretty excited about the Torch. While it's still no iPhone 4 (and, really, what is?), it's a damn good BlackBerry, and that's appealing to a lot of people, myself included. The slide design is well-implemented and characteristically classy; the touchscreen, OS and browser are (finally) pretty much "there"; and it still has a great QWERTY keyboard. (I am disappointed, though, that the screen res wasn't upped; it's the same as the Bold 9700's).

While it probably won't sway the average iP4 user, it will definitely keep a lot of RIM customers from jumping ship. The Torch is in keeping with RIM's "psychology" yet is just a tad more than evolutionary. It's definitely tempting me, at least :D

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
It's a good thing they're trying to target corporate people. They're used to using 5 year old OSs on similarly aged screens. They won't notice the retarded 480x320 display.

On the other hand, if they want the average consumer to buy into the BB platform, they're SOL. BBM and emails aren't that exciting anymore. And there are much better executed Social Networking convergence platforms than what they're offering.

Unfortunately, they won't die. They'll painfully keep dragging themselves for another 20 years, all the while embarassing Canadians.
+ 1. :D

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
The iPhone is headed more and more into the enterprise market with each new iOS release. I definitely wouldn't say the iPhone is just the opposite. Just my $0.02. ;)

Right just like Blackberry is moving slowly to consumer market... but they still design the overall experience with enterprise in mind first and foremost...

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
It's a good thing they're trying to target corporate people. They're used to using 5 year old OSs on similarly aged screens. They won't notice the retarded 480x320 display. On the other hand, if they want the average consumer to buy into the BB platform, they're SOL. BBM and emails aren't that exciting anymore. And there are much better executed Social Networking convergence platforms than what they're offering.

Actually in many countries around southeast asia, Blackberry Messenger has just started becoming the new fad (maybe starting around 2008-2009?). I know 80-90% of my friends are using Blackberry exclusively or in addition to iPhone just so they can chat from BBM :p

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Actually in many countries around southeast asia, Blackberry Messenger has just started becoming the new fad (maybe starting around 2008-2009?). I know 80-90% of my friends are using Blackberry exclusively or in addition to iPhone just so they can chat from BBM :p

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's 'better'. Many of those asian countries, one of which I'm intimately familiar, are nuts about BBM because it's practically free, unlimited, and well organized text chats. It's not that BBM is superior, it's because those worlds are not where we are yet. While we're pushing 3D Home Cinema streamed from the clouds, they're still impressed by 1080p and Blu-ray (or blu-ray rips).

The reason it's exploding is because population count IS much larger in many of these worlds, so statistically, it looks impressive. But these people use little more than the phone and BBM. Many don't even have data beyond the BB access.

There are many apps which can communicate freely between iPhones or between ALL smartphones (Android, Nokia, etc). Essentially, it creates a BBM for all the other platforms - unfortunately, they aren't as well marketed.

iPhone 4 is hardly revolutionary. But there's such a thing as significant evolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.