iPhone 4 vs Droid X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I got the iPhone when it first came out in 2007. I also had the iPhone 3g (or was it 3gs? I forgot). But, as good as the iPhone is, and how much I love Apple and OSX, AT&T is just what kills the iPhone experience.

I've been Verizon for over a year now, and I have a pretty ****** phone, and I plan to upgrade to a Droid X in December/January.

But then, I've been hearing rumors about the CEO of Verizon being part of this meeting on January 5th, before the Keynote, and that during the Keynote, supposedly, the CEO of Verizon is going to speak before Steve Jobs does.

Does this mean that an iPhone could be released on Verizon in January/June of 2011?

Is it worth waiting this long to get an iPhone, or have you guys tried using the Droid X?

I've played with it before, and for what it is, some features that it has, is personally better than the iPhone. But like I said, I love the iPhone, but AT&T is the deal breaker for me.

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'd personally go with the Droid X, I don't think a Verizon iPhone is coming anytime soon in all honesty.

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

The Droid-X is a nice handset. Buy what you like best. :)

As for what I'd do, well that might be different. I like the iP4 better. But then that's me. I can only choose for one of us.

4. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

You guys haven't heard any rumors about an iPhone for Verizon?

I'm hearing stuff that Apples/AT&T contract is 5 years, meaning that it expires in 2012. Thats just way too long to wait! Another 2 years? Ugh.

5. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Search Verizon and iPhone. There have been one billion threads about this. :rolleyes:

6. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I had the Droid Incredible for a few weeks, but the deal breaker for me was the android market. But i sure see the allure of it. Also the experience of the phone is just not as smooth as the iphone.

But if I saw an improvement in the apps and video and music integration I would try it again.

But these is no denying, the droid x is a nice phone.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Have you bothered searching? There's a ton of rumors about a Verizon iPhone. But you know, that's the funny thing about rumors....

8. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

^By the way, I'm a huge fan of Daft Punk too. Can't wait for their new album, and I can't wait to see them Live next year.

Anyway, yeah, its just rumors, but it gives people like me hope, you know?

The Droid Incredible looks whatever, but the Droid X looks amazing. The screen is better, and yeah the android market might be whatever, but there are emulators for NES/SNES/PSX. Which is pretty tight.

As for the Apps. I got like 80+ apps from iTunes. I plan to use them on my iPad, once the 2nd generation comes out in March. :)

9. bri1212 macrumors 6502

At&t and Ip4

I won't comment on the droid, other then to say I have heard they are ok.
    As far as At&t, depending on where you are, At&t has improved their coverage.
    I have noticed a huge improvement in So Cal, and No Cal, in both the 3G coverage and normal telephone coverage, since 2007 and 2008. Not trying to say that coverage is perfect everywhere, but I have noticed that it is better, and that I drop less calls now.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I sure am glad we've got members staying on top of when the iPhone is going to verizon.

11. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Droid X is very nice. If I had to use Verizon, that would be the phone I would choose. Don't hold your breath for a Verizon iPhone anytime soon. It's looking more and more like Apple won't bother to design a CDMA iPhone. All they have to do is make an LTE iPhone and wait for Verizon's LTE coverage to catch up.

12. zacharace macrumors member

From what I understand, the next iPhone will be full LTE, which means it'll be Verizon and AT&T compatible. I'd get the Droid X personally; for me, there's no value in waiting for a "rumored" iPhone when the X is a pretty close to the iPhone--and in some ways maybe even better IMO--as it is. But that's just me.

13. aohus macrumors 68000

14. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

I have doubts an LTE iPhone will be ready by next summer. First of all, AT&T won't even be deploying LTE until next year and I will presume it will be like the 3G rollout, big markets first, rest of the country much much later. Even in the major market, most areas will run on 3G with sporatic 4G service. That will probably mean seriously ugly battery life if running on 4G as the modem struggles to maintain connection with weak signals.

Second, there aren't many chipsets out that support LTE yet, and nobody is making them in significant quantity yet. It takes time to gear up production to produce millions of chips per month, not to mention designing the things first to fit with FCC, AT&T, and Apple's requirements. All this could very well be taking place behind the scenes right now, but there hasn't been a peep out of iSuppli about somebody gearing up to make significant quantities of LTE chips.

Finally, I hear designing a new iPhone takes like 18 months. They work on something like a dozen different designs at the same time, with each of them having dozens of minor modifications. What we finally get as a final product is the end product of hundreds of different prototypes. LTE launch was only recently announced and I don't think Apple will have enough time to design an LTE device from the ground up and have it ready for production by next summer, especially since LTE will require significant upgrades from the i4 in order to even be able to run. For example, LTE will need additional processing power to process the data back and forth, and the radio is assumed to require additional power to maintain signal integrity.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yeah, imagine that beast in your pocket...lol, no thanks!

Read today that iPhone on Verizon isnt coming anytime soon. Dont have a link, it was a note posted at quickpwn.com if you want to read it.

16. rwd hero macrumors 6502

If I were you, I would go with any other android phone. I talked my wife into getting the Droid X (stuck on verizon) a few months ago and she has been riding me ever since. It takes the worst pictures I have ever seen, I think I could get better pictures out of a disposable camera. On top of that, one day it just stopped ringing! She went like that for about 2 months until I talked her into going to verizon to get it fixed. It turned out there is a feature that the droid x comes with that let's you ignore a call if you turn the phone upside down. She gave that feature a try and it never rang again! They had to do a full reset, she lost all of her contacts because it there is no iTunes equivalent for the android OS. This all may sound like bull, but just do a quick google search and you will see that the droid x isn't all it's cracked up to be. On the other hand 2 of my best friends have Droids and they love them. They never have reception issues, and swear by the android OS.

17. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which Droid phones do your friends have?

18. aohus macrumors 68000

all of your complaints are user errors. if you want to keep things simple, stick with iPhone 4. its a great phone. takes great photos, great all around device.

but if you want customization, if you want a native navigation application that is awesome, if you want full 4.3' web browsing experience with flash enabled, if you want a potential of thousands of ways to customize your home screen, or voice actions, voice search, swype technology, get the Droid X. You won't be disappointed. I got the phone because it was on Verizon, and so far, i've gotten 0 dropped calls, no attenuation issues, strong signal, even going hiking, takes great 720p video, i can buy replaceable extended battery, if you want expanded hard drive space (replaceable SD cards), get the DX.

if you want the ability to underclock / overclock your smartphone, or customize every nook and cranny of your UI, or get different custom Android OS builds on your smartphone, Android is the way to go.

19. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I have the Droid X and love it though there are a few issues. I think the Fascinate is more problem free. Motorola seems to be doing some strange things with the X.

After getting 2.2 the issues I have are the SMS sorting bug, and SMS threads always going the the top. Luckily in 2.2 its easy to get to the bottom because of a scroll bar on the side.

I love the screen (Its size makes it better than iPhone 4 IMO), the battery life is good, and pictures are fine though not amazing.

Any questions, just post them up. I would consider the Fascinate if I were you though and try them both out.

Aside from "fluidity" in scrolling in iOS I would say Android is superior in most ways. If you are not technologically inclined then iPhone is for you probably.

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How about Att's captivate?

Marc

21. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Size over quality?

Marc

22. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Quality meaning...? There's some things that dont matter, one of them is excessive ppi. Don't fall for the marketing technique.

Every time I pick up an iPhone 4 I think, "wow this screen is way too tiny". When I pick up my iPhone 3G I think "Wow this screen is way too low resolution and tiny"

When I pick up my Droid X I think "This screen is sick". 4"+ is the way to go. I also love how the face of my phone is all screen essentially. It really makes the iPhone look dated in comparison.

23. Keleko macrumors 68000

Why is it that if you are technologically inclined then you're okay with using software that is not smooth/fluid/polished? I feel quite the opposite. You shouldn't have to be technologically inclined to use a phone. I am technologically inclined, and I have an iPhone 4. It has the best usability and polish of all the phones out there. That comes from good engineering and paying attention to details.

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

Droid X is a fine alternative to the iPhone 4.

However, the battery life on the Droid X is horrible. You will see so many people bicker/complain over the iPhone's battery. Wait and try the Droid X out. You would think your iPhone 4's battery life is amazing.

If you use your Droid X pretty heavily (I am talking 1 talking, 3 hours websurfing, looking at the screen every 20-30 minutes just to check), you Droid X battery will be done by 4-5PM. You iphone 4 battery life will make it till 9-10PM.

25. zephxiii macrumors 6502

HIGHLY unlikely, it's way too early in the LTE game for that.