iPhone 4S AT&T, worst phone yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jona2125, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jona2125 macrumors regular

It's a shame that a $900 phone drops more calls than the last iPhone 4. I have lost 73 to be exact phone calls since the release of this phone. This phone has slow internet anywhere I'm at. I've gone all over in a +100 mile radius and still no change. iPhone 4S, this disappoints everyone, again. Not complaining about it really but it's just sad that I can't call people half the time, or during the call it just "call failed" 's on me and then won't call the person back. Even tested it and the call wouldn't go through near the tower with the person I'm calling sitting by me. I'm not the only one thank god. My friends have the same problem, a few of which are 1200 to 2000 miles away from me so it can't be local. It can only be the work of a company that refuses everything but what they can take that is popular and getting outdated and call it new. Apple is the new Vegan cult version of technology I swear.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take it to Apple because there is a test they ran on my old phone to detect dropped calls or something like that. I took the report to AT&T and got a $50 credit for the month. Although it did not really help me since the dropped calls happened monthly, it was something.

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Out of the 4 or 5 calls I've made since I bought it, I've had one dropped call that may not have even been due to my end.

And as far as the internet, if I'm out and about and need to check emails using the the 3G network, I don't expect Comcast-quality 20mbps internet or anything. As long as I can connect to the internet at an acceptable speed (which I do) I'm fine with it. I never expect 'great' anything from a cell phone tower. I do, however, expect good speed from classic hard-line internet to the house (like Comcast).

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

5. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Agreed. So are texts. Emails at this point are basically texts, especially since you're notified when you get one on the iPhone.

6. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

7. dvoros macrumors 6502

dropped calls

Its not the Apple iPhone. Its AT&T. Consumer Reports has been stating this for years. Go with Verizon and see the difference. BTW, I heard that secretly AT&T is updating its Campbell Soup Can phone system. Stay tuned for more details.:D

8. dp1363 macrumors newbie

Not on Verizon

As much as they are the evil empire, I have not had one dropped call on Verizon.

That being said I am moving the family to Sprint. Verizon is too expensive now.

9. ryuu55 macrumors newbie

It's most likely not your phone, but your coverage area. at&t is good in some areas bad in others. I have at&t and where I live, I get pretty good coverage. I haven't had a drop call since getting the 4S. Internet is good too, pretty constant 3G connection only prob I get is at work, where nobody (any service provider) has a good signal in our building on the 17th floor. I'm waiting on a new 4S from apple because the one I have overheats like a b!otch.

10. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Dropped maybe 10 calls total in 16 months using AT&T iPhone 4, none so far on my Verizon 4S and getting signal at places where my AT&T service couldn't penetrate :roll eyes:. If your coverage isn't good enough change carriers.

11. oshia86 macrumors regular

I have an AT&T 4s, and have none of these issues. Don't count me in the gross generalization of "disappoints everyone, again".

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Wrong.... Wrong.... Wrong....

Fact: No cellular carrier works everywhere.

Each have their own coverage areas which is why they offer coverage maps. It's a Myth that AT&T is the worst.

Fact: AT&T's so called "problem" didn't exist prior to the iPhone.

When users wanted an iPhone during the exclusive years on AT&T only, they bought one even though they were in one of AT&Ts poor to no coverage areas, therefore problems arose through no fault of AT&T.

Fact: Most people wanted an iPhone but did not check their coverage area.

Fact: The 4S is the best phone ever.

Apple finally incorporated the correct baseband processor and a good antenna. Therefore phone performance is excellent as long as you are in a coverage area.

Just the facts.

This iPhone 4S is the best iPhone to date.

----------

You fail to understand how cellular phones work.

13. Manzanas macrumors member

I got the 4s on att, no problems at all. I think it depends on where you're at. If anything this phone has been an improvement to me. I used to have a 3G, and phone dropped calls 40% of the time.

14. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I'm pretty sure this is an opinion. With the less-than-stellar battery life on the 4S, I'm not even sure I'd say it's the best iPhone ever (I'll wait and see if a software update fixes it before I pass judgement).

That being said, AT&T is definitely working behind the scenes to improve its network. I recently drove from Phoenix AZ to Washington DC over the summer and had 3G service nearly the entire way (even through rural areas of New Mexico and Texas). There is no way that would have happened even a year ago, when my phone would drop to edge almost the moment I left a city. My data rates have also noticeably improved. Yes, I still get the occasional dropped call with AT&T, but I'll gladly trade that for the improved data network.

15. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the Sprint 4S too and that thing is faster than my AT&T for sure. As for calls the phone drops them regardless of carrier, tested on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. I think it's funny honestly. failPhone is fail. iCloud sucks too. EVERYTHING is turned off but I'm always out of storage. There is I think 2 pdfs in the whole damn system and my backups are always like 6+ GB for no reason. I have 5GB for free that I can't use. Thanks Crapple. Here's my data speeds that I've been getting. My iPhone 4 was way faster

Attached Files:

16. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

I've had decent coverage. Sprint still trumps them for some reason. I think I'm just lucky. I've been places where Sprint isn't even supposed to cover but it still works while AT&T and Verizon are choking.

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Unless you actually have a bad unit, the 4S is not the issue. If there were huge wide spread problems we would be hearing about them.

In my own experience there was definitely a slight decrease in dropped calls with my 4S over my 4... so the 4S is an improvement.

18. oshia86 macrumors regular

I lol'd.

19. jona2125 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately this is the third one I've received. I think they send me defunct iPhones. It's great though. I hate Android and Apple but because of iTunes I can't really make much of a choice. Time for a pay as you go phone I guess

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Why do people assume it's the phone's fault when calls get dropped? Unless there's a major malfunction with the phone, the fault lies with the carrier. Different carriers are better in different areas. This shouldn't be news to anyone. If you're getting a lot of dropped calls, try a different carrier to see if they have better coverage.

21. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Are you sure it's the phone then? How do you know it is not the network? The AT&T network around here rotates between great and awful on a random basis, regardless of the phone. What you and the other people you know are experiencing could easily be network issues.

22. mom333 macrumors regular

I'm having problems with my 4S on AT&T too. I'm not sure what the problem is, but making calls has not worked well at all for me either. Much worse luck than with my 3GS, so I'm no seeing how it's carrier and location related. I haven't moved and I haven't changed carriers. All I did was upgrade my phone and I had a really bad weekend with calls failed, dropped calls, and no audio when calling.

I never LOVED AT&T, but who really can say that about ANY carrier? I stuck with them because their service is easily $40 less a month for me than Verizon. Sprint is horrible where I live.

I LOVED my 3GS, but was excited to move into the new design of the 4/4S and the added features. So far, it's a disappointment. I've done some research on the Internet and I am convinced my audio issues is a software issue that I hope Apple updates soon (switching from speaker calls, to siri, to regular calls, to headsets - it can't seem to reset itself between the changes). The dropped calls and calls failed - I just don't get. Planning to reset my phone (set up as new, rather than a backup from my 3GS) and hope that helps. Will have to wait for the weekend to do this. Crossing my fingers!

FWIW - I found posts by Verizon folks having similar issues as I am.

I love iPhones and I'm hoping the kinks with this one gets worked out ASAP.

23. ron808 macrumors regular

ron808

This is hilarious.

I've rarely used my phone to talk but when I do, I never dropped a call.

If it matters to you as much, change providers. And no, it's not the iPhone4S.

It is AT&T all along.

LOL.

24. justinnum1 macrumors member

Not if he wants to use 3G.

25. littlejob macrumors newbie

your probably in a dead zone.. move.
    problem solved.