Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
The This is my Next review said the screen actually looked a little bit greener. I don't know about that but it definitely looks more washed out.

Pic for comparison (top = ip4S)

iPhone_4s7.jpg

This is what my 4S looks like :( there is a definite green tint to the screen and blacks are noticeably brighter than on my 4.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I was at the local Apple Store today which of course was amazingly busy, yet they still have a slew of phones (everything except white 16GB AT&T). Anyway I just wanted to compare screens.

Man I wish I could've brought in my good camera to take some pics. The screens on the floor model 4S phones had color temperatures all over the map. Some were really warm (yellowish), some were amazingly cool (blueish). In the four or five I looked at no two looked even close to the same.

----------

Yes the one on the right is my 32GB black IP4. The left is my 64GB black IP4S.

white-bal2.JPG

Looking at those two pictures the one on the left looks more colorful/brighter and more natural to me. The one on the right looks too purple/bluish push to it and looks very unnatural and less colorful.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Looking at those two pictures the one on the left looks more colorful/brighter and more natural to me. The one on the right looks too purple/bluish push to it and looks very unnatural and less colorful.

Also the one in the left is how it looks on Apples website and the commercials.

Time foe people to just let it go.

bzshutter

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
+ 1 here.

Just got our black 32gb 4S and a white 16gb 4S. When compared side by side, my black is noticeably yellower than my wife's white one. The white one has the same type of bluer tint compared to my old 3G, which I've grown used to. I'm not sure if I like the yellow tint so far. I'm not sure if this is actually better, as it's not just warmer, it's actually yellower. When the same picture is displayed on both, I prefer the higher contrast of the white one, where my black one just seems a little washed out.

Sigh, now i'm not sure if I should bother exchanging given how many "warm" 4S seems to be out there.
:confused:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
My screen is white, but I do notice the backlight is not even, it's brighter at the bottom of the phone (towards the home button) than at the top. That was not the case on the 3GS, which was evenly illuminated.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Here's mine. 4s on the left. 4 on the right. Exact same screen. Same brightness level (70%ish).

If it doesn't change I will take it back. There is little contrast and it makes it really hard to read the grey fonts that apple uses. It looks washed out.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    521.7 KB · Views: 368

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Here's mine. 4s on the left. 4 on the right. Exact same screen. Same brightness level (70%ish).

If it doesn't change I will take it back. There is little contrast and it makes it really hard to read the grey fonts that apple uses. It looks washed out.

Mine is quite this bad, but I have a genius appointment tomorrow and see if I can get it replaced and I am bringing my 4 for comparison!

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010

Mine isn't this bad but a friends is. He has a genius appt tomorrow.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My 4S is warmer and a bit washed out compared to my 4. But I think of it this way...it's not about warm vs cool. If the 4 was warm and the 4S was cool, all these complaints would be about the 4S being too cool.

It's about CHANGE. No one likes change but a wet baby.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
My 4S is warmer and a bit washed out compared to my 4. But I think of it this way...it's not about warm vs cool. If the 4 was warm and the 4S was cool, all these complaints would be about the 4S being too cool.

I don't think it is about change. It's about what is easiest to read and a washed out less contrasty screen is more difficult to read.

Does anybody with a 4S have a cool screen?

To be honest I noticed it as soon as I turned on my 4S. I thought it was the screen protector I'd put on it that was causing it at first. SO I took it off and realized it was still the same. That's when I compared to a 4.

To those going into Apple - Please let us know on this thread how you went... Thanks.

timberga

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
I'd definitely appreciate those with appointments letting us know how they went. I have a Black 32gb AT&T with the warmer more yellow screen and it annoys the **** out of me. I'd switch to a white one to get a cooler color temp if thats what it takes.

I think there's a way to determine what factory manufactured your iphone....if I remember correctly the iphones with "yellowish" screens were being manufactured by a certain factory for the 3G or the 3GS. I'll dig a little bit and see if I can find it.....

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
everytime a new iphone comes out it gets more yellow...in a few years the screens are going to look like crap.

the 1st iphone had the best whites and blues...but the more yellow the screen is i notice the better the black level gets in every new iphone and prob the battery life

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Went to Apple (Not because of this) And every single 4S in the store was warmer (yellow) than the iPhone 4 displays they had.

You guys will never ever find a iPhone 4S tint like the launch day 4 because they do not exist.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
4s screen is definitely warmer than my iPhone 3g. but it is closer to the the default temperature of my mbp, so its nothing i'm not already used to.

obviously the resolution alone makes it more readable than my old iPhone, but in general i tend to feel like cooler calibrations make colours pop more for pictures/video and warmer ones are less harsh for text. thats a totally unscientific/personal preference thing, but still a necessary trade off since i use my iPhone for all those things.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have a genius appointment tomorrow at 4Pm eastern, I will let you guys know what they do...

I also noticed that it seems that all or most iPhone 4S's are warmer then the iPhone 4 in screen color....

Just could be a factory calibrated setting and if this is normal for the 4S then I'll be fine with it, as long as its not a defect for particular models...

Think they will exchange it for me once? Just to see? I also have a little uneven backlight on the top by the clock which actually bothers me more.

-Franky

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I have a genius appointment tomorrow at 4Pm eastern, I will let you guys know what they do...

I also noticed that it seems that all or most iPhone 4S's are warmer then the iPhone 4 in screen color....

Just could be a factory calibrated setting and if this is normal for the 4S then I'll be fine with it, as long as its not a defect for particular models...

Think they will exchange it for me once? Just to see? I also have a little uneven backlight on the top by the clock which actually bothers me more.

-Franky

Exchange it because you are used to the color hue on your previous iPhone? That doesn't sound like a defect, that sounds more like OCD but, hey, if the Apple store is willing to keep sending you replacement after replacement until you get the screen that you PERSONALLY like best, then more power to you.

I was under the impression that they would not replace it unless it was a defect (i.e yellow spots, dead pixels etc). A slightly warmer hue doesn't qualify as a defect in my book; just the characteristic. Like I said, more power to ya. I am often amazed at how many god damn replacement iPhones anal-retentive people manage to get from the Apple stores....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHypT5gnbw

go to 3:20 i think this is a case by case basis. The iPhone 4S in this video looks way sharper than the iPhone 4 screen. The 4S has a much better contrast and dynamic range with deeper blacks.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

I love this post. I bought a brand new iPhone 4S and the screen is all washed out but that's ok, it's not the phone - it's ME. I need to change and adapt. Lol :rolleyes:

This is always an issue with iPhone's. Not sure why they can't keep them from having such great variances in screen quality.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am a bit OCD....I admit, but I also want to make sure the phone I am going to be using for the next year or two will be "almost pefect" at the start, because god knows nothing is perfect.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
its two things

a) the glue that is used has a yellow hue but will dry clear

b) the White LED's tend to have a slight yellow hue at first

in time these will go up in kelvin = more white
same thing happened when the iphone 4 came out
When i had my iphone 4 replaced the screen was def more yellow but after a few weeks its perfectly white

in other words don't worry about it

+1

Give it a few weeks and the screen will be more whiter!

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Exchange it because you are used to the color hue on your previous iPhone? That doesn't sound like a defect, that sounds more like OCD but, hey, if the Apple store is willing to keep sending you replacement after replacement until you get the screen that you PERSONALLY like best, then more power to you.

I was under the impression that they would not replace it unless it was a defect (i.e yellow spots, dead pixels etc). A slightly warmer hue doesn't qualify as a defect in my book; just the characteristic. Like I said, more power to ya. I am often amazed at how many god damn replacement iPhones anal-retentive people manage to get from the Apple stores....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHypT5gnbw

go to 3:20 i think this is a case by case basis. The iPhone 4S in this video looks way sharper than the iPhone 4 screen. The 4S has a much better contrast and dynamic range with deeper blacks.

Deeper blacks? You having a laugh?

hgraphics

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Houston, TX
My 4S screen screen is also yellow (warmer) compared to my 4. Had a genius appointment and they said there are different manufacturers involved and some displays are warmer than others. Nothing they can do.
On the way out I asked another store employee and he said the screen will get more white over the next few weeks and that his phone did the same thing.
However: None of their 4S display models had a "yellow" screen.

alucinari

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
My 4S screen screen is also yellow (warmer) compared to my 4. Had a genius appointment and they said there are different manufacturers involved and some displays are warmer than others. Nothing they can do.
On the way out I asked another store employee and he said the screen will get more white over the next few weeks and that his phone did the same thing.
However: None of their 4S display models had a "yellow" screen.

The iPhones in the store have had the screen on for a much longer cumulative time than yours has. That stands as a good example that your screen will shift bluer as time progresses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.