Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Yeah support of the device should not be in question. But support should not mean you're guaranteed to get the latest versions of iOS for as long as the device is sold and supported. Apple never makes a promise to giving you the next versions of iOS. It's just a bonus that you usually do get these updates for free on current hardware.

But it would seem odd if they kept selling the 4S, but didn't give it the new OS. Wouldn't that be literally screwing over customers the day the bought it?

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
just open calculator on ios 7.1.2 and then open calculator on ios 8 beta 5, u will easily notice how slower ios 8 is on the 4S. it takes time to load the app completely whereas on the ios 7 it opens instantly. go and compare. if a calculator is that slow, imagine the overall performance of the OS

VSG

Contributor
Aug 9, 2014
Handoff with the iPhone 4s

Hi, everyone!

Although I just registered, I've been following the forums and discussions for quite some time.

Even though a lot of people are reporting about iOS 8 even on the iPhone 4s, I can't seem to get a clear information on specific:
Is Handoff (accepting/starting calls and SMS on Yosemite-Mac) supported for the 4s or not? Can anyone confirm this with Beta 5? Some people claim it is supported, others say it isn't (even review-videos of Beta 5 on iPhone 4s skip this issue) ...

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Best regards,
VSG

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
Hi, everyone!

Although I just registered, I've been following the forums and discussions for quite some time.

Even though a lot of people are reporting about iOS 8 even on the iPhone 4s, I can't seem to get a clear information on specific:

Is Handoff (accepting/starting calls and SMS on Yosemite-Mac) supported for the 4s or not? Can anyone confirm this with Beta 5? Some people claim it is supported, others say it isn't (even review-videos of Beta 5 on iPhone 4s skip this issue) ...

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Best regards,

VSG

I can confirm handoff is not on the 4S in beta 5.

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Post of the week.

You were pissed off at him even though what you and he said are the SAME thing.

Yeah, I restated his main point. But you guys missed my whole point. Yes, they can do exactly what he said. But at the expense of future hardware. As Apple makes new hardware, the software needs to move along with it. So, as the specs of new hardware gets better, new software is gonna have a harder time of giving smooth performance on old hardware. So yes, of course Apple can do what he said in his post, but then what would be be the point of a new iPhone if it wasn't gonna perform any better or have any new features?

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
What kind of changes? Are these good or bad for performance?

Yeah many dev's have been talking about the new things with API's and how they can use it for their apps in the background. My guess would be that in terms of performance you'll see a little more CPU usage and RAM usage for apps that take advantage of the changes.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I know @VSG posted almost the exact same thing, but I would like to know if Continuity (SMS Relay/phone calls) is working on the iPhone 4s. I am running the Yosemite public beta on my Mac, and will be upgrading to iOS 8 when the GM comes out. I just... I don't want to be surprised (I might be getting a new phone soon, and Continuity could keep me from switching to Android.)

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah, I restated his main point. But you guys missed my whole point. Yes, they can do exactly what he said. But at the expense of future hardware. As Apple makes new hardware, the software needs to move along with it. So, as the specs of new hardware gets better, new software is gonna have a harder time of giving smooth performance on old hardware. So yes, of course Apple can do what he said in his post, but then what would be be the point of a new iPhone if it wasn't gonna perform any better or have any new features?

Dude, you need to quit while you're behind, otherwise you might fall off the end of the Earth. But maybe that won't be a bad thing.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
just open calculator on ios 7.1.2 and then open calculator on ios 8 beta 5, u will easily notice how slower ios 8 is on the 4S. it takes time to load the app completely whereas on the ios 7 it opens instantly. go and compare. if a calculator is that slow, imagine the overall performance of the OS
I think some diagnostic code slows down apps when they launch, but I'm not sure.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Dude, you need to quit while you're behind, otherwise you might fall off the end of the Earth. But maybe that won't be a bad thing.

I fell off the end of my chair reading your reply. :p

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
my iphone 4s has a 747 charge cycle, i just bought a new battery online for cheap on ebay, hope its a good battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.