Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD offers some disappointing news for those waiting for an iPhone 5. According to the site, Apple won't be launching the iPhone 5 in September as rumored. Instead, the iPhone 5 will launch in October, according to "a source familiar with Apple's plans".
So, when can we expect the company to uncrate the iPhone 5?
"October," the source said, while declining to offer a hard launch date. Other sources said it will be later in the month rather than earlier.
There's no other details, though they suggest it could end up launching late in October.

AllThingsD tends to be well connected with industry sources, so there is some reason to believe their rumors. It still seems possible that Apple may pre-announce the iPhone 5 for some small period. Apple has typically held their fall media event in September.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Actually Launching in October, Not September?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
This makes sense to me. We get the big event in mid September and the phone launches in October. iOS 5 will likely hit a couple of weeks before the hardware so those of us with iPhones already will have something to play around with to keep us busy until launch.

From a purely selfish standpoint this works out well for me because I'll be damn close to the end of my contract by that point so the early upgrade fee, should I choose to do that, would be minimal.

sexualchocolate

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Announced product transition?

What about the announced product transition they announced is happening this quarter? I don't believe that the plans have changed since then. I am very skeptical.
Ok, if it is being released in early October, it will still have an impact in the current quarter, just like they said.

itsalexaye

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Michigan
that really sucks! maybe I should have gotten the iPhone 4 when i got my 3gs in april. I was hoping for a summer release back then, but now its pushed all the way back to october :(

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
They'd better step it up a notch! Other smart-phones are being released all the time, Apple only has one design that gets refreshed yearly, but now a year and a half. Competition was and is far, but in a year and a half they can learn a lot to catch up.

If I've got the money, and if it's a redesign, this might be my first iPhone ever. Not that I don't like the current design, love it, but I want my phone to be distinguishable from the current one :p

jakester20

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
Say What October ?

Wow talk about making people wait my 3GS is on its last legs fingers cross it can hold out till October gezzz! Apple know how to keep people waiting could easily buy a Google Android phone but that wouldn’t be the same as an iPhone 5 now would it...:p :cool:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

AllThingsD offers some disappointing news for those waiting for an iPhone 5. According to the site, Apple won't be launching the iPhone 5 in September as rumored. Instead, the iPhone 5 will launch in October, according to "a source familiar with Apple's plans".There's no other details, though they suggest it could end up launching late in October.

AllThingsD tends to be well connected with industry sources, so there is some reason to believe their rumors. It still seems possible that Apple may pre-announce the iPhone 5 for some small period. Apple has typically held their fall media event in September.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Actually Launching in October, Not September?

Damn.

But let's take a look at what Apple said about the launch time of iOS 5: This Fall.

Last year, we had one "This Fall", that was the launch time of iOS 4.2 for the iPad. So what was that last fall? Late November.

lbjsong

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
:(

better wait till the 2012 version of iPhone.
No thx to Minor upgrades on 2011 model

carlme

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Derby, England
product transition

maybe they will announce it in september and the product transition they talked about is the fact that nobody will get an iphone till oct.

the latter in oct the better for the uk as thats when i can upgrade and i will because ive just cracked the bottom half of my screen

Last edited:

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
People there is only ONE reason Apple would wait extra long for iPhone 5. There must be a hardware part that is not available till september/october, and it must be worth the wait. There is only one thing I can think of and that is 2nd gen, power efficient LTE chips. I mean, what else could it be?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
As long as this is talking to be released, AT&T should give early iPhone 4 adopters, a grace period for early upgrades. Also to those of you tinkling this will be a minor upgrade, should really think twice. There's no way Apple is going to keep milking the iPhone 4 only to release a minor upgrade a year and half later. No one knows why they're taking so long this time around, but an iOS 5 release should make the hardware wait a little easier.

Last edited:

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Regardless, it can't get here soon enough!!! :) I'm loading apps on my Touch constantly in advance of getting an iPhone. :rolleyes: My BB Storm2 is getting worse by the day. :( Chop chop :apple:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Here we go. "We can't release it when we said we were gonna release it because a tiny baby dinosaur came and squashed all the workers and so now no one can build it and stuff. K?" - Apple

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I'm going to be really selfish and say this a is a result!

I'm going on holiday in september and was gutted that i'd miss the launch. :p

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
It's times like this where I remember reading rumours last year about the iPhone 5 being released in January 2011 due to the antenna problems and here we are in August still speculating. :D

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
The "delayed" iPhone 5 indicates that it will not simply be a small update of the iPhone 4 to 4s. Or maybe Apple wants to get out of the june launch timeline, to stop people expecting it the same time every year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.