Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
I just hope Apple realizes that the competition is getting stiffer, and keeping up with current technology will be critical for Apple to maintain its smartphone market share.

Jesus, it's their biggest selling and flagship device now.
You think they realize whats happening ? well doh

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Here we are April 6 2011 just 60 days from the WWDC and not a substantiated rumor around. Soon enough we'll all know the answer. If there will be an IPHONE5 release in the June-July timeframe we should start to hear some reliable sources bringing out some news.
I would think Apple needs to release a new model to keep its earnings in the quarter.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
It would make sense to launch the iphone 5 in september along with the new ipod range and possible an ipad 2.5/3 that way they would have all the iOS devices coming out at them same time. So they could make 1 specific to the lastest hardware all at once.

Holy crap, if you thought the lines and supply shortages for a single product launch were bad, it would be absolute insanity if they decided to do this. There would be ****ing murders.

There's slightly less than 0% chance that Apple will sync their iDevice lineup so they all launch at the same time.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I'll predict it again boys and girls.

WWDC in June: iPhone 4G, same case with "full 4G" and Facetime not requiring WiFi.

Sprint / Summer 2012: then all you moaners get the iPhone 5. My prediction is another "leak" around Xmas time this year to screw up Android sales that season.

fluffer

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
I can buy into this pretty easily. Think about how pissed off all the Verizon iPhone customers would be if new hardware came out only a few months later.

It'd be interesting to know numbers of Verizon customers against 3G S customers. Why do people only presume one portion of Apple's customers would be affected. I've had 3G S since launch day and so am eagerly waiting for it's 24 month tariff replacement. Looks like I'll be on Simplicity Tariff for a few months......... or will I !!!!!!! :confused:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'll predict it again boys and girls.

WWDC in June: iPhone 4G, same case with "full 4G" and Facetime not requiring WiFi.

Sprint / Summer 2012: then all you moaners get the iPhone 5. My prediction is another "leak" around Xmas time this year to screw up Android sales that season.

That makes no sense. If they release a new model in June, as you say the iPhone 4G, then next year would be the iPhone 6.

epictempo

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
That makes no sense. If they release a new model in June, as you say the iPhone 4G, then next year would be the iPhone 6.

You don't remember the 3G and the 3G(s)?

iP4G will be lighter, stronger, and faster. Honestly, there's still no other smartphone that look and feel as good as the current iP4 so I don't expect much of change.

WorkingDead

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
What about 3GS customers?

As a fist day 3GS customer, my two year contract runs out in June. If the iPhone 5 is not yet released at that time, what do I do? Get an about to be outdated iPhone 4 or go with a brand new Droid? I dont like this.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It would be utterly ridiculous if the release date was pushed back simply because of the VZ iPhone 4 launch. Granted I'm in the states, the rest of the world doesn't care about Verizon. I don't see Apple breaking their launch cycle for one carrier, so I expect a june/july release date.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You don't remember the 3G and the 3G(s)?

Yes, yes I do. I own a 3GS after all.

The iPhone 3G was the 2nd iPhone, the iPhone 2. The iPhone 3GS was the 3rd iPhone, the iPhone 3. I know it's confusing, but the iPhone 3G was called 3G because it was the first model to support 3G networks, not because it was a 3rd generation model.

As a fist day 3GS customer, my two year contract runs out in June. If the iPhone 5 is not yet released at that time, what do I do? Get an about to be outdated iPhone 4 or go with a brand new Droid? I dont like this.

Or you don't renew your contract immediately and keep using the 3GS.

Last edited:

Jamie 360

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Boston
I guess I should put my white 3GS in a case now.:(

223937-iphonekeynote.jpg

The trickle of information is continuing to come on the next major iPhone release. Earlier today we posted a sketchily sourced story out of Korea about the possibility of an iPhone-specific media event in the 4th week of June. While we did have some doubts about the story, Loop Insight has received word from their sources that the iPhone 5 will not launch in June.Previous reports have suggested a Fall or even later product release, while multiple sources have indicated that no iPhone will be introduced at Apple's WWDC conference.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Not Actually Launching in June?

Honestly I dont see the big deal...the iP4 is so nice already, the allure of an iP5's A5 and maybe more RAM doesnt inspire lust on my part. Id rather the iP5 really be a huge leap: 4inch display, redesigned antenna, aluminum/liquid metal back, 64GB option, A5, 1GB RAM...all with the new USB 3.0/Thunderbolt PIN connector.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Or you don't renew your contract immediately and keep using the 3GS.

Seriously. It's better to wait and get the phone you want rather than just compromise on whatever is available.

Yeah, I know the pain of wanting to upgrade cause you can but nothing out that tempts you (before I got the iphone 3G I was in that boat for a while. I'm impatient and it helped I am on a shared contract and the other person was not willing to go with any phone out and really there was nothing that looked all that great to me, but I'm glad I had to wait for him cause then I ended up with the iphone 3G rather than some cheapy phone I would have ended up if I just bought what was out when my contract ran out). But if you like your current phone and it works fine, why would you settle for something you don't even really want just cause what you want is not out yet?

Ziger Woods

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
3G on its last legs

I really hope Apple comes out with a new iphone, bc my 3g isn't doing so well, I don't want an iphone 4 cuz of that stupid glass back! It just bothers me for some reason!? I already hold onto my iphone for dear life, but I couldn't imagine having one made out of glass, cuz I don't like cases, I prefer the "naked" look!

bigandtall

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Looking at the rainy iPhone 5 rumor season, don’t be surprised if you see another next gen iPhone rumor land on your screen.:mad:

georgethomas

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
Is the month of the launching that important?
Iphone will definitely be launch. Just wait for the right moment at the right time

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Who said you had to make sense to be profitable? You just have to produce a product that large groups of people agree to exchange their money to own or use it. Look at the fashion, music, entertainment or restaurant business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.