Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 5 owners: What data plan do you have?

• <2 GB

Votes: 30 10.8%
  • 2-4 GB

Votes: 59 21.3%
  • 5-9 GB

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 10-20 GB

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Unlimited

Votes: 162 58.5%

• Total voters

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
This is pretty amazing. I didn't think there'd be this many people, like me, who are clutching to their unlimited plan for dear life.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Unlimited Verizon using loophole. I use around 30gbs a month no way I would switch to a shared plan.

tcoche

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Unlimited on Verizon. I upgraded my wifes 2yr agreement and swapped the ip5 to my line. ;)

wishman35

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
I was on AT&T - never used more than 2GB in a month (and I surf the web a ton) but tend to be on Wifi a lot obviously.

So I figured the $60/year savings makes sense if i NEVER went over the 2GB. My Dad/Mom never go over the 200MB, so they have the even lesser version.

I switched to Verizon and due to their high cost, I have downsized to the 1GB and will see how that goes.

Again though - never have gone over 2GB and I am sure most do not that pay for the unlimited. I can understand though with the new Verizon plans it would make sense to stick with it considering its more expensive with the data share.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Anyone know a [legit] way to get data-only on the iPhone 5, preferably thru Verizon, second choice AT&T.

Like the iPad data plan but for the iPhone instead. I can see them tying you into a voice plan if your phone is still subsidized but NOT IF I BUY IT OUTRIGHT or have completed my 2-year contract as I have done on my iPhone 4.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Anyone know a [legit] way to get data-only on the iPhone 5, preferably thru Verizon, second choice AT&T.

Like the iPad data plan but for the iPhone instead. I can see them tying you into a voice plan if your phone is still subsidized but NOT IF I BUY IT OUTRIGHT or have completed my 2-year contract as I have done on my iPhone 4.

Only if you use a mifi hotspot adapter.
The dont sell sims with data only plans.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
How did you manage that? That's awesome!

I got it through their Loyalty Department about 2 years ago. I was going to switch carriers and they offered me a matching plan to stay (Sprint's unlimited everything for $69.99).

Basically, I have the talk/unlimited text for $59.99 and data for $29.99, but I have a monthly re-occurring data credit of $20. On top of that, my work discount of 15%. :D

Makes paying $649 for a new phone not so bad!

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Unlimited on Verizon using the loophole. I'll be paying retail from here on out. I am not giving up my unlimited.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i kept my 2GB plan on AT&T. after two years with my previous iPhone and never coming close to that, i'm confident it is sufficient.
plus, there is no LTE in my area anyway.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I have the 5GB Tethering plan on AT&T. I got tired of worrying about throttling last year, and (before I jailbroke my 4S 4 months later), I wanted tethering after I had a situation where I lost my home internet for 3-4 days due to an outage. Sort of wish I had my unlimited back, but I'm surviving. I typically use 3-4GB per month so the 5GB hasn't been restrictive, and I can tether now on the 5 instead of waiting for a jailbreak. (and I didn't have to pay for the $$ jailbreak app to enable tethering when I had my jailbroken 4S).

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Clearly faster network = more data use.
No, it does not -- no matter how many parrot that meme. You can easily use more data but faster data does not automatically mean more usage. It's a subjective matter. If you're prone to using more data with faster data then that's a characteristic of you and not your carrier's data network.
deadhorse.gif

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
200MB on AT&T for $15, LOL.

I didn't get an iPhone until the 4 came out, and that's when they axed the unlimited data. I barely ever go over 200MB of data since I'm always around Wi-Fi and the few times I'm not all I need to look up isn't bandwidth hogging(weather/scores/directions.)

My girlfriend has the same data plan with her iPhone but shes a power user and uses mobile data all the time, so I'm constantly getting "you're reaching your data limit" e-mails in regards to her line. Women. :rolleyes:

Very jelly of you all with AT&T with grandfathered unlimited data though. :(

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
No, it does not -- no matter how many parrot that meme. You can easily use more data but faster data does not automatically mean more usage. It's a subjective matter. If you're prone to using more data with faster data then that's a characteristic of you and not your carrier's data network.

While this may be true, apps and games are going to be developed with better phones and faster networks in mind. They will be larger in size and use more data - just like higher quality videos.

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Unlimited ATT. 450 min, 200 texts, with 15% discount through my employer I pay $70.40/month. No current plan on att or verizon can match that right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.