Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Is this certainly coming this summer (as certain as we can be)? I still don't think it would be crazy for Apple to wait another year and release the iPhone 5 simultaneously on Verizon and AT&T.

They likely will this summer. There's no reason for them to skip a cycle and fall behind everyone else in terms of specs.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm sure it'll have a 4" screen, and I'm sure they did it partially because the Home button will be removed. Hence the need for more screen space.

Plus, a 4" screen is nice. 3.5" is fine too, but 4" is not that much larger (space-wise) and adds a lot more screen area, especially on such a small device.

Bodygard

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
Nah that edge-edge looks weird...Jobs wouldn't allow it for sure.
That older mockup still looks nice though but it won't be like that also :cool:

TheReadyPrompt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Every time there's a new product announced, these flights of fancy materialize and are always completely off the mark. I understand that some dreamers want to see their expectations come to fruition. But why are these ridiculous mock-ups considered newsworthy on Macrumors.com? Please...

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
182825-iphone4g-mock_500.jpg

Finally, this old design mockup pre-dates the iPhone 4, but shows another take on a large screen format with a reduced prominence of the home button.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Rumors Spawn Mockups

That last mockup still is the best "fan" design I have ever seen.

darknite38

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
These photos look hideous, I cried at the fact that somebody made these pictures and the MacRumors put this on the front page.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Edge to egde screen might be problematic.

You would have to make sure not to have any part of your gripping/holding hand accidentally touch the side of the screen or it's to an unintended link you may be going.
Nothing more annoying than activating a link of which you didn't intend.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Yes, the mockups look bad ... but it would be cool if the iPhone5 had a bigger screen without being much bigger in dimensions. If the bigger screens means a bigger phone, I am not sure if I want it, but minor size increase woud be ok. I still want to have it comfortable in my back pocket.

Edge to egde screen might be problematic.

You would have to make sure not to have any part of your gripping/holding hand accidentally touch the side of the screen or it's to an unintended link you may be going.
Nothing more annoying than activating a link of which you didn't intend.

and even more likely to break when dropped (no luckily it hit only the edge) ... at least they have to put a big warning label on it so that not more idiots file a law suit if they give the phone to their children and they drop it ....

Every time there's a new product announced, these flights of fancy materialize and are always completely off the mark. I understand that some dreamers want to see their expectations come to fruition. But why are these ridiculous mock-ups considered newsworthy on Macrumors.com? Please...

Isn't this part of the fun of the rumors - to see what people dream up on limited information and guessing ... hope nobody spoils the fun by 'finding' the real prototype - I am always looking forward to the magic of unveiling the real device at the event.

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
I'm sure Apple will find a way to make the next iPhone border-to-border and look much nicer than this :p

Eitrig

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
Why don't they just do away with the home button? really there are a thousand alternatives to it, and they could make the phone much better without it.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Why don't they just do away with the home button? really there are a thousand alternatives to it, and they could make the phone much better without it.

I am using the new gestures on the iPad with OS4.3 where you don't need the home button anymore. Unfortunately they already said it will not make it into the final version - I absolutely love the new gestures that replace the home button. The only thing the home button is still needed on there is for rebooting.

monoskier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
just call this what it is - BUMP

is it just me or is MR just recycling through the same iphone rumors from the past week or so?
Guess we know what they would rather us be chatting about :p

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
This edge to edge screen nonsense needs to stop. The LCD panel itself has a bezel/border of it's own so you're going to have a bezel around the phone to accommodate it. You can make the bezel a tiny but smaller (and I do mean a tiny bit) but not eliminate it entirely. They probably were not even talking about the sides but rather the top and bottom where it's actually feasible.

goodwilldrums

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Oklahoma City

I remember when that last mockup came out, I commented on how I loved the matte backing. I think that would be a very nice upgrade to all the complaints about the back being made out of glass.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
its all about apps

need to keep the resolution that the installed base of developed apps is geared to.
but apple also needs to make a great internet viewing experience which the larger mobile fons from competitors are likely to provide.
i really hope that the smaller 3.5 screen device becomes a reality.
however, people who think that it will be at 200USD are dreaming.
it might deserve a premium price to the 4.0 screen device if apple can squeeze NFC into it as well.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I still like the last one best. The edge-to-edge screen doesn't have to mean that there is absolutely no border to it. I think that current technology does not allow for such a thin border, and it doesn't look too good either. The only place that could definitely use some shrinking would be the top and bottom of the phone, as that is probably doable in the near future.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
On my part, these weren't intended to be a mock up of what the incoming iPhone 5 could look like. I simply wanted to illustrate that apple could in fact fit a 4inch screen on the current form factor of their iPhone 4. Also, they could keep the same 3.5 inch screen in a smaller "iPhone Nano." I agree that it just doesn't sit quite right when you simply scale up the screen though. I think that if apple does move to this edge to edge design (which is what the rumors were about!) they will do a whole new look for it.
For illustrative purposes it definitely does the job. I was also commenting on how, in my opinion, the rumors are complete bunk.

mjay2k

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
So yes, it doesn't look that great when you really push the edge to edge design to the limits as I did in that first one. Again, if anyone could pull it off aesthetically it's Apple.. but it just doesn't feel right in the current iPhone 4 design.

HOWEVER.. if you don't go all the way with it, I think it still works.

notedge2edge.jpg

Look, apple IS going to extend the iPhone line like they did with the iPods. I for one have my fingers crossed for a 4inch screen iPhone. I don't want it to get bigger though, and I think apple can pull that off AND make it beautiful. It just won't look very similar to the iPhone 4 imo.

As far as the edge to edge screen design making the iPhone more fragile I call BS. The thing is already 2 slabs of glass.. the screen tech is behind the glass and it will remain there, just less bezel around it.

Last edited:

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Xavier said:
182825-iphone4g-mock_500.jpg

Finally, this old design mockup pre-dates the iPhone 4, but shows another take on a large screen format with a reduced prominence of the home button.

Still like this one quite a bit.

Me too.

I still think that we have seen the last of the Home Button with the new swipes found in the iPad iOS.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
There won't be an edge to edge screen. There's always has to be some form of a border...that's my opinion anyway.

Agreed. The chubby nature of your finger tips will always creep around the edges and inadvertently make contact with the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.