Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
BE CAREFUL! MINE CAUGHT FIRE!!!

View attachment 696970 View attachment 696971

I just had to add to this thread to hopefully prevent this from happening to someone else.

My wife's 5c popped out of its case (the corner) once before about 2 years ago. I followed the instructions in this thread, placed it face down on the table, pressed and it popped back in. It was fine.

Last month she dropped it and it happened again. When I tried the same fix it BURST INTO FLAMES!!!! I heard the same pop but a second later SMOKE AND SPARKS SHOT OUT FROM THE SIDE!!! I quickly swiped it off of the table onto the floor where it BURNT AND SMOKED LIKE FIREWORKS for another 10 seconds!!!

I called Apple, freaking out, and even though the phone was a year past it's AppleCare protection plan, Apple replaced it! They said when customers use the phrase 'caught on fire' they take it very seriously and wanted to do an autopsy.

So if you are anywhere near an Apple Store PLEASE don't try to snap it back in yourself! Either way, do a backup before you try anything. Luckily, I had just done one 10 minutes before! Phew!
Geezum, thats fierce! I bought my friend's old iPhone 5 and I noticed the screen was wonky and changed colors when you touched the screen. He said it had been that way since he got it. I took it over to our apple guys (we have a team here at work) and the guy was like "Yeah don't take that out of the plastic bag and you need to go to the apple store immediately."

I got there, they took a look at it and said "Well, we need to see whats going on." and took it out back. About 15 minutes later they came back saying I was getting a new phone. It was a battery swelling issue with the old one. I'm very very glad I didn't futz with it because I have no clue what I would have done if it burst into flames like this lol. I'm glad you're okay!

samanthajersla

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2017
I think my iPhone 5c may have dropped, because near the top of the screen it slightly popped out of the case. Should I be able to take it apart myself at home or do I need to get it repaired?
Here's a picture: http://postimg.org/image/80wrur0od/

View attachment 459863
I only made this account to tell you guys NOT to bite your phone. That is very dangerous. What I did was pop it back right in. It didn't cost a cent. I was extremely scared to do it, but it wasn't so bad. Get both of your thumbs on the edge of wherever it popped out and give it a little push. You should hear a slight sound and your phone should be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.