Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
:( Does anyone out there really care about the forthcoming release of a minor iPhone 5s. Those of us in the know realize that we have to wait an entire year, Fall 2014, before we see something new from Apple but by then, other companies will have surpassed them again. This is really sicking from a once revered company like Apple. But you know the saying, "Innovation has left the building".:(:eek:

It's only a phone..you don't have to care.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Why do people come to this forum just to troll?

I'm not that interested in the 5S because my 5 is is better than any phone out today (please don't don't telling me about specs of other phones). I am curious what it will bring though since i will be upgrading in 2014 and those new features will carry over when i do upgrade my phone.

As you can see from the direction Samsung is going in, all the new "features" coming out now are all just gimmicks which most people never use like i never used any of the gimmicks when i had my S3.

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
How long does your battery last?

I get about 16 hours from when I take it off the charger. When I'm at work it sits in a lock box as we are not allowed to have cell phones in my work area. The phone still gets full signal in the lock box, so that's not burning the battery. I don't use bluetooth, and at home it's on WiFi. Once home though, I mainly use my iPad mini. I think the battery is just going bad.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Ill either keep my 5 or get the HTC One. The S years suck as far as I'm concerned. Still waiting on a real upgrade from the 4 although I do love LTE.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Ill either keep my 5 or get the HTC One. The S years suck as far as I'm concerned. Still waiting on a real upgrade from the 4 although I do love LTE.

Real upgrade from the 4?

What definition are you using for upgrade because there is a big difference between the 4 and the 5.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
-improved battery life
-32 GB standard
-software enhancements

Judging by previous S releases the iPhone 5S will have worse battery. Also there's no way Apple will drop 16GB and make 32GB the default. Neither will Apple add a 128GB model iPhone.

iOS 7 obviously will bring os enhancements.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Real upgrade from the 4?

What definition are you using for upgrade because there is a big difference between the 4 and the 5.

Indeed, that was my upgrade path and there is a huge difference between the 4 and 5.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
It may feel sluggish with iOS 7. The 4S made the 4 feel slow, because it was quite a bit faster, so much so, that's it still usable. There's nothing wrong with wanting the fastest model out.

As far as the camera is concerned, it still sucks, so there is lots of room for improvement. Personally, I don't think significant improvement can be had without a larger sensor or different tech altogether.

The smartphone industry has changed. New updates will not be an exciting or innovative as the first few models which redefined the space, and changes will be incremental for the near future. Similar to how we buy other products, such as computers and cars.

I'm intrigued - do you find the iPhone 5 sluggish? Is the 8MP camera too pixelated for your tastes?

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
I'm waiting to see what the 5s has to offer. I am using an iPhone 4 and I am about due for an upgrade. As of now, I am considering dropping a phone all together and going the iPad mini route but if the 5s is awesome then I will go that way. I would like a 5" screen.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
After 5 years of improvements, finding new stuff to stick in any smartphone has become a challenge. This already has been seen in all Smartphone companies products not just Apple. Only so much that the smartphone can do. At this point any Hardware or Software improvement is tough.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Wouldnt everyone's socks be blown off if he came out on stage with the iphone 6 in hand? It would be nuts. If i were apple, i would leak some iphone 5s details on purpose to throw people off because lets face it, EVERYONE knows apples product cycle like clockwork now. Everyone is expecting the 5s. We all know it is going to be software updates not hardware. NO BIG SURPRISE at this point. We've seen it time and time before. The analysts practically anounce the product with predictions before Apple ever has a chance. What if they upped the ante, change the game and decided to shock the industry? Nobody would see it coming.

This is an awesome idea and I didn't even consider that it wouldn't be a 5S. I mean, they might not exactly call it that, but we are all expecting just upgrades and not a redesign. A redesign would totally throw the industry off guard and would be very exciting. I'm with you.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
OP hits and runs away after posting. Look at his last three posts for evidence. He's a troll :mad:

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
People that have an old iphone(I have a 3G) or those are rich and can afford all kinds of phones.

The only people who complain about new products are those who are mad they don't have the latest and greatest. You aren't FORCED to buy this new one.

More releases are better. They give people options. Every new iphone has increases specs or more. Only those dumb few people who only look at the physical appearence whine about this stuff. Laughable

dirtclod

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2011
I care because as soon as I began to accept Android on my Motorola Razr they came out with an 'upgrade' which is a total disaster IMHO and makes my phone less, not more, usable. I want to like the hardware but I can't stand the software. Eligible in August for a change of device and I will be changing back to an iPhone. So yeah, I care.

I hope the 5S is close to fruition by then.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
:.... But you know the saying, "Innovation has left the building".:(:eek:

I'm not sure I do know the saying. In fact, other than a lot of folks over the past decade that have been very VERY wrong about speculation on Apple's performance, I've never heard anyone else use it

Most of those "in the know" realize that the iPhone 5s will interesting to folks on contracts, that only upgrade when their contract is up.

For millions of people, the iPhone 5s will be the current iPhone when their contract allows for an upgrade. They'll be upgrading from iPhone 4/4s to a iPhone 5s. No way in heck you can call that a "minor upgrade".

Why wouldn't they care about it?

Exactly. There are a whole lot more 4&4s models not the market than 5s. AT&T discontinued their yearly allowance to upgrade with the transition between the 4 & 4s. The 5s will sell in massive numbers. Rest assured.

....iPhone 4 owners probably care though. But I lolled at all the people who went from 4 to 4s.

Not sure why. The 4s was a major leap in performance from the 4. The CPU. The GPU. The camera...the speed alone was worth the expense. Not to mention, the 4s is as legitimate today software wise as the 5. The 4---not so much

Judging by previous S releases the iPhone 5S will have worse battery. Also there's no way Apple will drop 16GB and make 32GB the default. Neither will Apple add a 128GB model iPhone.

iOS 7 obviously will bring os enhancements.

My 4s battery was superior to my 4. Not sure why you're so adamant about storage sizes. I think it's a very reasonable assumption that Apple will increase the high end offering...and no reason to think they won't increase the low end to 32GB, drop the 16---and offer the 5 in 16GB as the $99 model. Don't speak in such absolutes. These posts never go away. It'll make you look silly when Apple does exactly the opposite of what you say they won't ;)

J

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
:( Does anyone out there really care about the forthcoming release of a minor iPhone 5s.

I assume this is a question, though your lack of a question mark gives pause. The answer is yes, but only a few million people.

Those of us in the know realize that we have to wait an entire year, Fall 2014, before we see something new from Apple but by then, other companies will have surpassed them again.

Those of us in the know? How many of these "us" do you envision in your special elite world? 3? 500? 1,000,000? Yes, other companies come out with features an iPhone doesn't have, every week. And iPhones have features other companies will never have, ever. And sometimes Apple adds features to the iPhone that other companies had before them. And sometimes they don't. The big lesson? Apple is not other companies, and other companies are not Apple, and every phone made by every company does not get released on the same day with the same features. Your non-point in an otherwise enlightening post is well taken.

This is really sicking from a once revered company like Apple. But you know the saying, "Innovation has left the building".:(:eek:

Sicking indeed! Funny though, I always thought the saying had something to with Elvis. Funnier still is your comment, (your entire post really), complaining about innovation, when your entire premise is so utterly stale. An iPhone 5s will be infinitely more exciting and useful, than your tired argument about its lack of innovation.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I'm more curious of what iOS 7 will bring to the table. After having my 5 swapped out 5 times for various faults I'm not really fussed about an 'S' version. Not to mention I've upgraded every year since the 3GS but this year the iPhone's value is it's lowest it's ever been resale wise so I'll probably hang on to this until the 6.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
my applecare+ is up Sept 15th, 2014. So I plan on keeping my phone till then, have a hardware issue, or accidental damage if hardware issue don't pan out, and receive a brand new (refurb) unit to either carry me another year or two, or try to sell for top dollar and pickup the iphone 6s at the time.

iphone won't innovate hardware wize, but im sure apple will improve ios7/8 enough that you will want to upgrade to get all the features. Plus im sure apple will cripple the iphone 5 with the updated ios and slow it down to make u want to upgrade, like they did with 3gs and 4

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Indeed, that was my upgrade path and there is a huge difference between the 4 and 5.

I mean the design of the phone. The 4 and 5 still look and feel very similar. I don't like the look of the phone. Obviously each iteration of the phone has a faster processor, better camera, etc but that's pretty standard across the industry.

tomoye

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
originally bought 3GS as first smart phone then upgraded to 4s. looking forward to 5s with its slightly larger screen and better battery life.

wife upgraded to 5 from a droid x and couldn't be happier. can't wait to have a slightly larger screen with a slimmer profile and lighter phone than my 4S.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Wouldnt everyone's socks be blown off if he came out on stage with the iphone 6 in hand? It would be nuts. If i were apple, i would leak some iphone 5s details on purpose to throw people off because lets face it, EVERYONE knows apples product cycle like clockwork now. Everyone is expecting the 5s. We all know it is going to be software updates not hardware. NO BIG SURPRISE at this point. We've seen it time and time before. The analysts practically anounce the product with predictions before Apple ever has a chance. What if they upped the ante, change the game and decided to shock the industry? Nobody would see it coming.

Agreed. If they don't do something amazing their stock price will dip. Simple as that.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
;)
originally bought 3GS as first smart phone then upgraded to 4s. looking forward to 5s with its slightly larger screen and better battery life.

wife upgraded to 5 from a droid x and couldn't be happier. can't wait to have a slightly larger screen with a slimmer profile and lighter phone than my 4S.

5S will not have a slightly larger screen. It will be the same as the iphone 5. Larger screen may come later next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.