Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I hope this iPhone is more than just a product for 4" screen afficionado's but something that is affordable to tens of millions of people who want one but aren't going to pay $800 unsubsidized. Apple needs a $300-400 option for emerging markets and post-communist societies. It'll be a bummer if this thing costs more than $500.

Apple definitely needs something like that but they would never do it. They need their ridiculous profit margins. If they were aiming to sell for $300 they'd probably want like a $100 manufacturing cost at the very most lol. That would be a little tough if they still wanted to deliver the most premium product possible for the lowest price.

I again wish that Apple would go nanochromatic on the iPhone. I realize people in the western countries only like like mono colors, but color variety is a big deal in Asian market. Just compare the color selections of PS Vita/NDS in Japan/HK vs US.
Considering growth is coming more on Asia region, I think it's time Apple cater more towards the Asian market. Gold and rose gold are definitely catered towards Asia/China. I want to see orange or green as well.

Having said that, Apple really need to get rid of those antenna bands, or at least color match them. They are ugly, period.

Yeah I don't like the bands, I would have rather had glass caps for antennas like the 5/5S but I think that might've looked a little weird with glass ending abruptly and then having the rounded aluminum edge.

Color matching might look nasty, same color but different material/shine randomly? Space gray does the best with the current lines, silver the worst in my opinion. Silver should've had white lines just like the gold/rose gold (pink). Space gray, I'd be curious about what darker antenna bands would look like.

Hopefully the rumors of liquid metal or whatever are true so they won't need antenna bands anymore. Get a more iPod touch like design on the back minus the black bar. I still think it might look too much of the same on the back since the phones are so large (needing to be broken up) but I hate the antenna bands too so I don't know.
Minority really? Everyone I ask, friends/family agrees it's ugly, if you are truly objective and look at it not as an Apple device, there is no way to hide that the prominent white bands on a metal frame take away from the elegance of the device. Think about it, suppose this thing had branding "Samsung" or "Microsoft" would people still see it the same?
[doublepost=1454787085][/doublepost]Be objective please, which one looks better?

ipodT6g6.jpg
Yeah I agree, doesn't look great, but at the same time a phone that big might look a little off without something to "break it up" a little.

Reactions: trifid

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Well they could call it 6c which would make sense for me, but how is it an economy/suck line now? Because it has the camera from the 6 and not the 6s? Come on guys…

I think the problem is, and what we all want, we don't want the equivalent of 5c, ie 6c, we don't want that. To me 5c was laughable (no offense 5c lovers), and I tried pushing 5s to anyone that considered 5c because it just sucked so much for $100 difference. For $100 you got more speed, better camera, touch ID, premium beautiful aluminum case, at the time it was a no brainer. Who wants 5c? it's economy/sucky line really.

We want iPhone 7 in 3 sizes, an equally featured 4" minus some sensible things (for example less battery vs the 5.5" would be fine and understandable due to smaller size).

Plus, the 6 camera is not something to be completely proud of due to controversial noise reduction engine they have, so having 6 camera would be quite depressing for me. Not to mention the front camera would still be a sucky 1mp, it's so common these days to take photos/selfies with front camera.

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2011
... said no one ever in the past 30 years.

Then explain why wih every new os and iOs update I see more and more problems. Before Mavericks the OS was solid as a rock, but now I can only wish for a day without a crash from any of the standard programs. The same with iOs, this page had to be reloaded five times because of some error and a spontaneous reboot before it worked.

Don't come nagging with user related causes, even with clean installs or a complete refresh this problem stays the same. It's undeniable that 'it just works' is no longer the case. And I hope they can turn it around, but the current high management is losing it.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
So, hideous and under-specced. As a fan of 4" iPhones* I'm starting to think Apple hates me.

*Actually, 3.5" iPhones

Reactions: catean

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I doubt it it'll be uglier than this, those white bands, dang, so friggin ugly

iphonehandson3_3434932b.jpg
whenever I see this..it's like rubbing salt on wound.
Honestly,I think this is one if the ugliest recent products ever.
The killer combo of those ugly white bands and the most un-attractive color shade possible with added touch of awkwardness (popped out lens)..
yeah well done Apple.
nothing can be worse than this!
It's so bad it's embarrassing.
what happened to Apple design..

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
If they're gonna offer night colors like that then why not a few ?

And am I the only guy that has been holding back from buying gold because it doesn't have a black bezel???

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I think the problem is, and what we all want, we don't want the equivalent of 5c, ie 6c, we don't want that. To me 5c was laughable (no offense 5c lovers), and I tried pushing 5s to anyone that considered 5c because it just sucked so much for $100 difference. For $100 you got more speed, better camera, touch ID, premium beautiful aluminum case, at the time it was a no brainer. Who wants 5c? it's economy/sucky line really.

We want iPhone 7 in 3 sizes, an equally featured 4" minus some sensible things (for example less battery vs the 5.5" would be fine and understandable due to smaller size).

I agree with this part. I like the 4", but, I know people who like the larger sizes. I just want the new 4" to have the same processor, RAM, flash, and GSM-LTE radios that the 6s has. The 5c wasn't really a 5S, it was a 5 -- a definite regression. Let's not do that again.

EDIT: Fixed error and garbled thought (I hope).

Last edited:

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
It's not gender specific, they're gonna make the space black and silver. They're just making an extra color that lends itself to ladies, which is probably a larger portion of the third of those who haven't upgraded from the 5s. This is just good marketing in my opinion.
No, no complaints and my wife would probably like it. From previous posts I've seen, there are males that have bought the rose gold phones.
And yes, good marketing for those that still have the 5s, but are looking for upgraded tech.I will probably be one of them as I personally don't care for the larger size phones.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I stopped hoping for this years ago. Siri was the most exciting announcment for me (before the larger screens) and consequently the biggest letdown. I allowed myself a moment of hope with the "hey siri" announcement. What a fool I was.
[doublepost=1454721155][/doublepost]
Oh, I'm not judging the color. You can bet the forums will be filled with people asking this question though. By the dozens. It will be the new rose gold.
[doublepost=1454721227][/doublepost]
I hope you're not a writer. (sorry had to)
touche :), i'll put it down to autocorrect...even if it wasn't
[doublepost=1454823873][/doublepost]
I hope you're not a writer. :p

*drops mic*

Buy you a beer? :)
Sure, if I'm ever in Florida

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
I could see Apple doing something sort of different than what we expect with this 4-inch phone. Maybe they'll release it in the iPod touch colors and sell it cheaper (by apple standards) with watered down features, omitting some of the newer features (3d Touch) and market it to the same people they market the iPod touch to. Maybe it'll be compelling enough to get parents to buy their kids a phone instead of an iPod. I hope they don't go this way though. I would like them to release 4, 4.7, and 5.5 inch phones in the same colors/configurations/specs as physically possible.

Imagine if they could get the cost of a phone down to the iPod touch line prices and sell them in lieu of iPod's without contracts or anything. That would be sort of neat and appealing for alot of people. Don't see it happening with their profit margins though.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
No not really just an observation. The gender pay gap is real...

No... it isn't. It's been debunked as junk social science for over a decade. There is no discernable difference in how men and women are paid for the same work. Men (on average) may "earn" more than women but this has always had everything to do with the different career choices men and women make.

http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-myths-that-will-not-die/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-wage-gap-myth-that-wont-die-1443654408

Last edited:

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I could see Apple doing something sort of different than what we expect with this 4-inch phone. Maybe they'll release it in the iPod touch colors and sell it cheaper (by apple standards) with watered down features, omitting some of the newer features (3D Touch) and market it to the same people they market the iPod touch to.
To whom, people with brain damage? The A9 is +70% CPU and +90% GPU power, twice the RAM, twice as fast LTE, twice as fast Touch ID and on and on. No $100 price cut could make up for buying last years tech. The yearly advancements are too huge for Apples pricing scheme or any pricing scheme really. Unless they cut the price for the phone in half, it will be a waste of money like the iPhone 5c was.
[doublepost=1454833237][/doublepost]
There is no discernable difference in how men and women are paid for the same work. Men (on average) may "earn" more than women but this has always had everything to do with the different career choices men and women make.
Only because you blame it on their own choices, doesn't mean the gap does not exist. Society could decide to pay more for jobs predominantly picked by women, like nurse, teacher and First Lady. But it doesn't, because underpaid women don't protest like men. They don't have the muscle to turn violent, so their demands are easier to ignore.

PS: While you're busy fighting feminist myths, try to explain why pink razors are more expensive than blue razors (on average) and how that's nothin' to do with gender?

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The 5c wasn't really a 5, it was a 4s -- a definite regression. Let's not do that again.

Huh?

The iPhone 5C was the iPhone 5 in a plastic body. Both had the A6 processor, same RAM, same camera, etc.

The iPhone 5 should have rolled down to the $550 or $99 price point that year... but instead Apple switched to colorful cases and released it as the iPhone 5C.

So I'm not sure why you're calling the 5C a 4S.

Last edited:
Reactions: XTheLancerX

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
Huh?

The iPhone 5C was the iPhone 5 in a plastic body. Both had the A6 processor, same RAM, same camera, etc.

The iPhone 5 should have rolled down to the $550 or $99 price point that year... but instead Apple switched to colorful cases and released it as the iPhone 5C.

So I'm not sure why you're calling the 5C a 4S.

Plus, the 6 camera is not something to be completely proud of due to controversial noise reduction engine they have, so having 6 camera would be quite depressing for me. Not to mention the front camera would still be a sucky 1mp, it's so common these days to take photos/selfies with front camera.

Yeah I see what you mean, but still it makes no sense to call it the 5se when it has nothing to do with a 5 anymore. The 5c was called the 5c because it was a "cheap" variant of the 5s, which was basically the 5 in a plastic case. Calling the new 4" iPhone 5se would have been like calling the 5c the 4se. You see what I mean?

I agree that the 5c was laughable and I was never a fan of it, when I had the name iPhone 6c in mind I actually was thinking of a 6s or 6 in mini, and not of a cheap variant. 5se – that really makes it sound super-cheap!
Yet it's more of a 6c than a 5se.

But what would you call a 4" 6s or a 6? iPhone 6(s) mini?

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
If anyone can pull of a decent 4" phone it is Apple. I think they should forget charging much less for it and retain the features and colour options of the larger siblings. If they then feel the need to cover a more brightly coloured lower end market as well they could just add other line based on the iPod touch.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Yeah I see what you mean, but still it makes no sense to call it the 5se when it has nothing to do with a 5 anymore. The 5c was called the 5c because it was a "cheap" variant of the 5s, which was basically the 5 in a plastic case. Calling the new 4" iPhone 5se would have been like calling the 5c the 4se. You see what I mean?

I agree that the 5c was laughable and I was never a fan of it, when I had the name iPhone 6c in mind I actually was thinking of a 6s or 6 in mini, and not of a cheap variant. 5se – that really makes it sound super-cheap!
Yet it's more of a 6c than a 5se.

But what would you call a 4" 6s or a 6? iPhone 6(s) mini?

I thought the C stood for "color"

"iPhone 5" + "color" = "iPhone 5C" :D

But yes... I'm not sure why they would use the name 5(anything) if this supposed new 4" phone has more in common with the 6 series.

Then again... the 5 series were the only phones with a 4" 16:9 screens.

iPhone 4 series and earlier had 3.5" 3:2 screens.... while iPhone 6 and later had 4.7" and 5.5" 16:9 screens.

What a mess!

I say... drop the number altogether and call it "iPhone Classic" and a year :)

Then keep the numbering for the flagship-level iPhones. (iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 7S, 7S Plus, etc)

Though that doesn't sound good either. Ugh.

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
To whom, people with brain damage? The A9 is +70% CPU and +90% GPU power, twice the RAM, twice as fast LTE, twice as fast Touch ID and on and on. No $100 price cut could make up for buying last years tech. The yearly advancements are too huge for Apples pricing scheme or any pricing scheme really. Unless they cut the price for the phone in half, it will be a waste of money like the iPhone 5c was.

I'll agree that Apple's pricing scheme doesn't really work. I always buy the newest possible and I've never really been tempted down to last years for 100 dollar savings. But if they made it more than just 100 dollar savings, which I think they could but probably wouldn't, it could essentially become the go to for kids instead of the iPod Touch. If priced low enough maybe they'd end the iPod touch lineup all together and sort of force them up to a real phone. Even if they could buy that phone and just use it as an iPod Touch w/out cell service.

I still hope they just make the 4, 4.7, and 5.5 inch phones physically the same design with specs that are as similar as possible. Give people the choice of a small, medium, and large phone without having to pick a size they don't want because the specs are different.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I'll agree that Apple's pricing scheme doesn't really work. I always buy the newest possible and I've never really been tempted down to last years for 100 dollar savings.
I've been tempted by the cleaner design of the iPhone 5c compared to 5s, but I ended up buying neither.
If priced low enough maybe they'd end the iPod touch lineup all together and sort of force them up to a real phone.
If they don't upgrade the iPod Touch more frequently, they will force people to buy an iPhone anyway.
I still hope they just make the 4, 4.7, and 5.5 inch phones physically the same design with specs that are as similar as possible. Give people the choice of a small, medium, and large phone without having to pick a size they don't want because the specs are different.
So hope we all. But there's a problem with that strategy. It's clear that price is the biggest deterrent to buying an iPhone. To win new customers more than $100 savings would work wonders. Not only current iPod Touch owners, but Android owners and even iPhone 6+ owners would be tempted to reconsider screen size. The average selling price per iPhone would start to slip and Apple could end up with the responsibility to build more smartphones for no additional profit. Hardware doesn't scale so easily as software and services. Windows can sell another million licenses at no additional costs, YouTube can stream another million advertising videos at little additional costs. To build a million more smartphones tens of thousands of workers must take home in a Chinese factory building just for assembling. Large-scale manufacturing is hard, that's why Samsung is Apples only remaining competitor. Apple is making 94% of industry profits, Samsung 11% and everybody else is losing -5%. Not much and Apple could end up making more profit than the industry as a whole. This is possible only because the iPhone doesn't even try to be affordable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.