Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'll take a thinner phone, all day long.

I don't understand what people do with their phone that battery life is such a concern, unless you're gaming on it all the time.

In my case: streaming music, email attachments, photo uploads/downloads, large Evernote files, Mendeley. Data kills my battery.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
What are you experiencing when using your iPhone 5 or 5s that makes you feel more RAM is needed?

it could bolster app development.... desk top class processor that will never have desktop class apps because of memory.... makes little sense

office for ios.... missing key features because....

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
I like the new shape if true.. I was never a fan of iphone 4 onwards sharp edges!

Not me. I much prefer the square shape of the 4/s-5/s designs. Really hope they keep that. Of course I say that and I'm currently a 5C user, but only because they were out of 5S when I bought mine the first day they came out. I still prefer the 5S design.

The only problem with those renderings is that they show the icons getting bigger on each model. That's not been the Apple way. They would add more rows, columns or space them apart more on a higher resolution screen like those bigger screens would have. Like the iPads.

Otherwise, keep the same thickness, get a better camera. 16MP.

No no no! A 16MP camera is a horrible idea. That would make for a worse camera. Keep the 8MP camera. Don't fall into the megapixel trap.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
If the only options are 4.7" and 5+" my wallet will be exceptionally happy, because I won't be buying a $700 iPhone ever again. :)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Adding more RAM would make the phone support more iOS versions, can't have that ;)

And yet the latest iOS release supports a 4 year old iPhone. Can't have that indeed :rolleyes:

----------

I'll take a thinner phone, all day long.

I don't understand what people do with their phone that battery life is such a concern, unless you're gaming on it all the time.

Same here. I use my phone reasonably and only charge it once a day.
Regarding the thickens, if phone makers would have asked people how thin they want their phones perhaps we will still be using brick phones.

Thinner and lighter device is definitely better for me.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
If by "support" you mean a highly stripped down version that still almost crippled the device then sure.

I still have an iPhone 4 (believe it or not) and also an iPhone 5s. So I know what am talking about. It runs pretty smooth for a 4 year old device. Same can not be said for the software updates on the devices with higher RAM on the other platforms but then you already know that :rolleyes:

Mr USneun

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
If by "support" you mean a highly stripped down version that still almost crippled the device then sure.

they recently released an update to make the OS smooth on older devices. My iPad3 now runs smooth iOS7. I never really run into problems with my Ram.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Oh man..

I hate when everyone ignores, including App,e, then proves me right.

It's not rocket science , its the simplest thing in the world.

Take away hose big round buttons and ultra-skim down the phone just like non-Appl stuff..

I should maybe be running Apple *dreams*

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I really do not care for any thinner iPhone at all! I also just want a better and bigger battery life! Who needs thin? I mean the current iphone is as thin as it is and anything thinner than the m8 or the s5 probably will be harder to grip, and easier to bend of break. Bigger screen, same thinness, better battery, iOS8 and efficiency is what I'm looking for!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Will they still continue 5S? I need a small phone with good battery life!

Iphone 6 will probably make everyone buy an extra battery pack!

z2ai.png

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I still have an iPhone 4 (believe it or not) and also an iPhone 5s. So I know what am talking about. It runs pretty smooth for a 4 year old device. Same can not be said for the software updates on the devices with higher RAM on the other platforms but then you already know that :rolleyes:

So you carefully avoid my main point that iOS updates on older devices are gimped and stripped of features. It basically isn't the full OS.

they recently released an update to make the OS smooth on older devices. My iPad3 now runs smooth iOS7. I never really run into problems with my Ram.

I constantly ran into issues with the constrained amount of ram on my iPhones or iPad. Open a few tabs in safari and you'll see safari binning the tabs from memory and reloading them. Not something I enjoyed experiencing when on a low data speed.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Can't wait to have an even thinner phone with less battery life. 5S battery is the worst phone battery I've ever owned. Twice a day charging sucks.

You seem to be a heavy user. I would double check your phone in case something is wrong, and having done that, if it is okay, go buy a Mophie Juice Pack. I have the Mophie Juice Pack Air that I use when I know I am going to have a very heavy day of phone use and I won't be able to re-charge. Good luck.

pazdzior

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
Pszczyna/Poland
Apple, please give an option to people who want small'er phone.

I really wander when this race for bigger and bigger phones will stop. The best phone size was up to 4s. You could easily handle the phone with one hand, which is impossible even with 5. If you want so big phones why don't you add the voice to iPad mini? Apple please give us an option to buy small 3.5' phone. otherwise I will have to move to chip android phone.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has suggested the 4.7-inch iPhone will have a 1334x750 Retina display with 326 pixels per inch, while the 5.5-inch version will have a 1920x1080 screen with 401 pixels per inch.

Two new screen resolutions the iOS developer are going to love this ... All apps will need to be updated for the new phones. This is an area where Android beats iOS.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
So you carefully avoid my main point that iOS updates on older devices are gimped and stripped of features. It basically isn't the full OS.

Of course it isn't and you would be naive to expect it to be! In a 4 years there are technology advancement made possible that weren't before and the latest OS always takes advantage of the latest technology. And to be honest I don't miss any of the features left out of iOS 7 on iPhone 4, they are not a dealbreaker for me (maybe airdrop but since I can't use it yet with my mac it's a bit of useless)

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA

I'd say he ignored your "point" because it's ridiculous. It is unreasonable to expect a 4 year old phone to do everything a brand new phone can do, and so to state that it "isn't the full OS" is inflammatory trolling garbage. You make it sound like Apple is taking away critical functionality, but that couldn't be further from the truth. In reality, new phones get all the new stuff and old phones get only some new stuff; it's a win for everyone.

I constantly ran into issues with the constrained amount of ram on my iPhones or iPad. Open a few tabs in safari and you'll see safari binning the tabs from memory and reloading them. Not something I enjoyed experiencing when on a low data speed.

I'll give you this one, as dropped Safari tabs is one of the biggest reason to increase iPhone RAM, but you're making it sound like you have dozens of examples. I only see one.

----------

Can't wait to have an even thinner phone with less battery life. 5S battery is the worst phone battery I've ever owned. Twice a day charging sucks.

From Anandtech:

58202.png

I used the web browsing table because I feel it is the most common use case. Also, here is a nice guide to maximizing your iPhone battery life.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I'm sticking with my 4" iPhone for now. I prefer using one hand when I'm dialling and being jostled on a train, I use the other hand to hold myself steady.

A mobile device where you have to use two hands is a tablet with phone capabilities.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

Lies and propaganda!

Maybe those figures are true of a new device, but the batteries in iPhones seem to degrade quickly. My 15-month old iPhone 5 wouldn't last anything like 8 hours of continuous browsing on 3G, much less LTE. I suspect I'd be very lucky to get 4 hours.

Danyboy

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
1Gb of Ram? Really? If I'm buying a 5.5 inch model I'm doing it for the true multitasking side by side on a split screen. You can't do true multitasking with 1Gb of Ram.

----------

how can you be disappointed? it's a rumor, not a spec sheet.

In the last couple of years, almost all rumors about iPhone and iPad had been quite spot on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.