Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
After all the reviews most of us read about IP6+ battery life lasting almost 2 days, has anyone experienced this performance?

I for one have not. My plus really only lasts one day under moderate usage. Some games throughout the days plus Facebook and texting.

Woke up at 7:30am phone off charger. It's 10pm and I'm down to 19%. Granted today in trying to run the battery completely flat and charge fully over night.

What is everyone else's real world experience?

ap4lifetn

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
After all the reviews most of us read about IP6+ battery life lasting almost 2 days, has anyone experienced this performance?

I for one have not. My plus really only lasts one day under moderate usage. Some games throughout the days plus Facebook and texting.

Woke up at 7:30am phone off charger. It's 10pm and I'm down to 19%. Granted today in trying to run the battery completely flat and charge fully over night.

i think the best way to compare battery life is to compare battery life to your older iphone and your usage pattern, signal quality affects battery life too much. does it last more than your previous phone?

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I charged mine at 12pm yesterday and right now it's at 6%
I'm trying to run it down so I can calibrate the battery
So far so good

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
i think the best way to compare battery life is to compare battery life to your older iphone and your usage pattern, signal quality affects battery life too much. does it last more than your previous phone?

I was using an iPhone 5 that was purchased 2 years ago. Usage on this has obviously been a bit more heavy since its new and I'm putting it through it's paces. But it's only marginally better than the ip5. And by marginally probably about a 5% difference at this time of night.

MDDUCKMAN

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Eldersburg, MD
Mine has consistently given me 12-13 hours of usage time, and about 1.5 days of standby. I do keep my brightness on the lower side (I find with that gorgeous screen that I can actually utilize the phone quite nicely with a lower setting). And I also turn off some things that others may have on (push mail - I have this set to manual; I turn a lot of my location services off; I don't do background app refreshes, etc.). Most of my time is on Facebook and checking mail. I love my iPhone 6 Plus, and especially the battery. So far, it's been a great phone for me.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm consistently getting right around 10 hours of usage. Fully discharged and charged first cycle. Not unbelievably outstanding, but acceptable. I'm happy if it can just get through a long day reliably.

Mixed use, everything from iBooks to video record and casual games.
Background refresh off.
Most notifications off.
3 email accounts (one push, 2 fetch on manual).
Wifi most of the time. LTE a couple hours a day.
Very little GPS/navigation.
Screen brightness ~50% + Auto.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Sounds like we are all generally getting about the same so far. I am wondering though if the software (ios8) is playing a part on the marginal battery life.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan

I'm at 51% right now. it came off the charger at 9:30 ish. been using it steadily. I'm not sure what I'd be at with other phones. seems pretty damn good though.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I'm consistently getting right around 10 hours of usage. Fully discharged and charged first cycle. Not unbelievably outstanding, but acceptable. I'm happy if it can just get through a long day reliably.

Mixed use, everything from iBooks to video record and casual games.
Background refresh off.
Most notifications off.
3 email accounts (one push, 2 fetch on manual).
Wifi most of the time. LTE a couple hours a day.
Very little GPS/navigation.
Screen brightness ~50% + Auto.

I'm actually kind of surprised it doesn't get more. That's pretty crap for as big of a battery thats in this thing.

gsampson

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Unplug in morning and by night it's around 50%. Lasts until the next night when I charge it again. I usually browse the web, check email, social media, and that's about it. It would probably go quicker if I played games and talked on the phone. I'm happy with the battery life so far.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'm consistently getting right around 10 hours of usage. Fully discharged and charged first cycle. Not unbelievably outstanding, but acceptable.

For me that would be spectacular. I'm used to my iPhone 5 being dead after ~5 hours of use. NEVER makes it through the average day.

:apple:

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
With the amount I use my iPhone, my 5S would have been long dead by now at almost 10:30 PM after being unplugged at 8:00 AM. I still have 35% left and haven't plugged it in at all today. On top of my normal usage, I have turned all background apps and location services back on (they were off on my 5S). I've also been playing Plunder Pirates quite a bit because of how good it looks. I use my phone pretty frequently throughout the day for a whole variety of tasks. I am BEYOND impressed with the battery life.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Phenomenal battery!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411612162.695116.jpg

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
The building I work in gets horrible cell reception on all carriers. At best I can get one bar of edge while I'm in here.

With the 5S, I'd charge it to 100% before I walked in the door. If I didn't charge the phone during my shift (8 hours plus a 30 minute break), I'd end up with 40-50%. Even turning on wifi calling on iOS 8 didn't affect this (and I'm on T-Mobile so wifi calling was actually activated). If I didn't charge it on the drive home, I'd end up under 40% most days.

With the iPhone 6 Plus, I charged it to 100%, and by the time I got home, I was at 70%, and I've been using this phone more because it's my shiny new gadget. I'd say that's one hell of a battery life improvement. And no, my reception isn't any better with the new phone at work, so it's just battery improvements I'm seeing.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
been getting about 11 hours and half of usage with 30 hours of standby and with default settings on except for manual fetch of emails. Use Safari and Spotify for the most part and i do have it on airplane mode with WiFi on when connected to WiFi since T Mobile offers their services through WiFi now. I am surprised it isnt lasting longer since i put it on Airplane mode for the most part though.

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
I just love it. The phone it replaced (iPhone 5) will only last me 5 hrs with occasional web surfing, phone calls and movies. I'm charging it now after draining it to zero using the iPad 12W charger, only took 2 hrs.

2mgr30y.jpg

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
id be very happy with this. whats your set up and usage like?

Nothing special regarding set up. Just a few tweaks. 2 email accounts set on fetch every 15 minutes, some browsing, iMessage and WhatsApp, Twitter, about an hour of listening to podcasts.

With the exact same usage my 5S would long be out of juice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411613031.244509.jpg

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I had over 2 days and 14 hours standby with about 5 hours of usage and just plugged in at 4% on my 6.

Light usage (if I'm out, I'm doing something better than wasting time with a little screen and if I'm at home, I'm on something better than a little screen so for the most part my phone actually serves as a phone). Full brightness, bluetooth and location services on.

No battery complaints here.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Wtf are you babbling about?

You cropped out the bottom part that shows what used the most battery. Why not post the whole image so we can see what was used most to get that battery life? It's really not that hard to understand. You obviously cropped the photo, just post it again without cropping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.