Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
This. Everyone needs to shut up about telling people it's their fault putting the phones in their pockets. If you can't put the phone in your pocket, you've failed in designing the product. If you can't use the product without a case, you've failed in designing the product.

Everyone watch this video and just zip your mouths already (Moto X like a champ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROcoJeVfSI&list=UUsTcErHg8oDvUnTzoqsYeNw

Only idiots wouldn't protect their expensive phone. What happened to common sense? Nobody should put a big phablet in small pockets and then try to put pressure on it. Aluminium bends. That is the law of physics.

The whole story is a big farce. I am sure that the iPhone 6+ won't bend under normal usage.
Only sick people will try to harm their phones. Only idiots will believe these stories (or Apple haters).
If you don't understand or want to accept that aluminium phones are less pressure resistant, then get one of the available Android and Windows phones. It's as simple as that.

BooneBoy500

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Only idiots wouldn't protect their expensive phone. What happened to common sense? Nobody should put a big phablet in small pockets and then try to put pressure on it. Aluminium bends. That is the law of physics.

The whole story is a big farce. I am sure that the iPhone 6+ won't bend under normal usage.
Only sick people will try to harm their phones. Only idiots will believe these stories (or Apple haters).
If you don't understand or want to accept that aluminium phones are less pressure resistant, then get one of the available Android and Windows phones. It's as simple as that.
You mean, I buy a $700.00 phone & it bends inside my pocket & it's my fault!? Where's the disclaimer on that? Furthermore, if this is your answer to those that spend their hard earned money on a very expensive product, then Apple should be glad that your not their spokes person because you would have them in a PR nightmare! (Smh!)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
You mean, I buy a $700.00 phone & it bends inside my pocket & it's my fault!? Where's the disclaimer on that? Furthermore, if this is your answer to those that spend their hard earned money on a very expensive product, then Apple should be glad that your not their spokes person because you would have them in a PR nightmare! (Smh!)

It doesn't bend in the pocket like that tho...

lol

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

Congratulations on not understanding a thing I wrote.

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
So you not think that apple will be reading all these post and using all the positive post to use in an excuse for the fail in not putting some form of strength into its design if you keep praising what they do then they will keep doing it. All these comments of Apple make the best dosnt help matters one bit this thread has become a battle between fanboys and the more screwed on head boys.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
That is the weakest attempt to bend something I have ever seen. He is so light in the loafers it's funny.

"Grab it in the middle with the glass facing out and give it everything you have," he (Lewis Hilsenteger) told CNNMoney in an email. "It'll bend."

Give it everything you have? LOL, I can bend or break ANY phone if I "give it everything I have".

This whole thing is just B.S. - expecting the iPhone to endure situations no person would normally do to it. The Plus is not s pocketable phone. That means just that - not that its "defective".

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
That is the weakest attempt to bend something I have ever seen. He is so light in the loafers it's funny.

if you look at his thumb, the pressure is being applied form both ends of the phone where on the youtube video, the thumb are close together and applying pressure on a more concentrated pressure point. I would think the later would replicate more having a phone in your pocket than CNN test.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
if you look at his thumb, the pressure is being applied form both ends of the phone where on the youtube video, the thumb are close together and applying pressure on a more concentrated pressure point. I would think the later would replicate more having a phone in your pocket than CNN test.

The point is its not bending like a pop tart like how fear mongers act like.

and yes

you CAN wear it in you pocket.

BooneBoy500

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/327732/iphone-6-bending-and-10-other-apple-product-glitches
I guess PC mag is lying too!

----------

First of all if any of you have ever had the opportunity to poor metal into a mold, then you would know that every batch is not the same & it is up to QC (quality control) to check each batch of metal for consistency. However, if they fail to do there job properly then the person pouring the metal into the mold, just keeps pouring! And this is why you may have some that bend & some that don't! Soo, because yours "Does not bend" may just mean that QC did their jobs on that batch. But may have failed on a batch that produced a 100 thousand! Just don't assume that others arent being forthcoming because it didn't happen to yours!
repost!

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
So you not think that apple will be reading all these post and using all the positive post to use in an excuse for the fail in not putting some form of strength into its design if you keep praising what they do then they will keep doing it. All these comments of Apple make the best dosnt help matters one bit this thread has become a battle between fanboys and the more screwed on head boys.

You really think when Apple designed this phone didn't test it for all kinds of loads and stresses...

LOL

BooneBoy500

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Apple is already replacing bent iphone6! And they've even sent testing machines to Apple Stores! Humm! Soo much for my vivid imagination...lol

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
You really think when Apple designed this phone didn't test it for all kinds of loads and stresses...

LOL

It possible they did do a test but did not test it in real world conditions.

Or the more likely answer, it is possible they did the load and stress test. The prototype passed every test. However, a small - not insignificant - batch of devices had some kind of issue which made them prone to bending. That issue could be everything from lower quality materials to missed critical step.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/327732/iphone-6-bending-and-10-other-apple-product-glitches
I guess PC mag is lying too!

----------

repost!

That snarky article isn't proof of anything. The issue isn't that iPhone do or don't bend, the issue is that people are applying unrealistic expectations on Apple and blowing what should be common sense out of proportion.

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Apple is already replacing bent iphone6! And they've even sent testing machines to Apple Stores! Humm! Soo much for my vivid imagination...lol

LIE!!

some journalist talked to a costumer advisor online and asked a question about his bent phone being replaced.

Costumer advisor replied yes after a genius has inspected it.

Standard answer....

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I don't have problems cos i don't treat expensive objects like crap.......news flash, aluminium bends if you put enough pressure on it......dear god. :rolleyes:
So putting a ******** phone in your front pocket is treating it like crap?

Delusion.

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

Dude you missed the point.

The whole point of that piece was to make fun of people like you and others who think a phone should withstand the pressure that the guy from Unboxing Therapy applied to his phone.

as the guy from CNN demonstrated its not gonna bend under normal usage.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014

It is immoral to let a sucker keep his money. - Canada Bill Jones

I love it when people like you get all huffy puffy about their 'hard earned money' when it comes to products that they don't need, really shouldn't be buying, and very much don't understand. Come on BooneBoy, it's common sense that a massive phone that costs 950 dollars, made out of 'elegantly crafted aluminum' and is marketed as a 'feat of engineering' 'classy' 'personal', and not 'rugged' 'toughest' or 'strongest' is probably a device that isn't A) meant for everyone, B) should be taken care of, and C) is to be appreciated for it's design, not its durability. It's people like you who don't know how to spend your money in the first place that make such a big deal about over comitting financially to an expense you don't need, appreciate, or can justify. Then you get angry when something this thin and this pristine breaks because it's not like your 'casio' watch that was 99 cents at Kmart that lasted 20 years (for sure you're still pulling it off though I'm sure!)

Gold is one of the most maliable metals in the world, you can scratch, chip, warp it with your teeth. But people who buy expensive gold jewelry understand that- people who buy rolex's understand that they might not have a calculator on them, or give you the altitude, but that their expensive watch, which will be far more expensive to repair, is about its design, engineering, beauty.

You need to stick with buying things you can appreciate. Your comment alone shows that your philosophy is that you appreciate cost more than pretty much anything else. You're a budget spender so buy a cool budget phone. Since the ipod video Apple has been putting chrome on the back of their devices. Chrome gets scratched to shut, it's an 'aesthetics and design' choice. You don't buy products because you appreciate 'aesthetics and design' you buy products that you want to equal how you value your 'hard earned money'. Some people see the inherent worth in an object that is superiorly crafted with 'aesthetics and design' in mind. These people buy bmws, nice watches, and expensive jewelry, and they take care of those things, because they appreciate them. They understood what they bought to begin with. It's people who impulse buy and do not think about the long term investment that have a 'really nice Mercedes' for a couple years until the maintenance costs start to roll around, then they can't afford it and it gets run down and falls apart.

Let's be honest- it is 7mm thick- did anyone here truly honestly believe this 5.5 inch device made of aluminum 'might not' bend???

I've sat on mine in my back pocket getting into my car and knew right away I needed to adapt how I used this thing.

I carefully put it in my pocket (front) and have had it since release.

I take care of my 950 dollar phone, because it's not a 99 dollar flip phone that will last 10 years even if you threw it down an elevator shaft- it's an apple product. I knew what I was buying before I bought it.

Guess what, my phone hasn't bent.

Just admit it, you sat on it, and you don't want to admit you're wrong in the first place because you spent your money on a product you werent prepared to own.

These phones aren't magically bending in pockets. I can guarantee you that. Maybe it's human nature to exaggerate the truth when it's convenient for us to do so? Nahhh that never happens.

wouwout

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Sydney
Dude you missed the point.

The whole point of that piece was to make fun of people like you and others who think a phone should withstand the pressure that the guy from Unboxing Therapy applied to his phone.

as the guy from CNN demonstrated its not gonna bend under normal usage.
Alex Washburn from Wired has used his 6 plus for 4 days, didn't apply much pressure, and has a slightly bent iphone. Just imagine what a year or two years of normal use will do. http://www.wired.com/2014/09/iphone-6-plus-review/?mbid=social_twitter

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Derpert

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
It is immoral to let a sucker keep his money. - Canada Bill Jones

I love it when people like you get all huffy puffy about their 'hard earned money' when it comes to products that they don't need, really shouldn't be buying, and very much don't understand. Come on BooneBoy, it's common sense that a massive phone that costs 950 dollars, made out of 'elegantly crafted aluminum' and is marketed as a 'feat of engineering' 'classy' 'personal', and not 'rugged' 'toughest' or 'strongest' is probably a device that isn't A) meant for everyone, B) should be taken care of, and C) is to be appreciated for it's design, not its durability. It's people like you who don't know how to spend your money in the first place that make such a big deal about over comitting financially to an expense you don't need, appreciate, or can justify. Then you get angry when something this thin and this pristine breaks because it's not like your 'casio' watch that was 99 cents at Kmart that lasted 20 years (for sure you're still pulling it off though I'm sure!)

Gold is one of the most maliable metals in the world, you can scratch, chip, warp it with your teeth. But people who buy expensive gold jewelry understand that- people who buy rolex's understand that they might not have a calculator on them, or give you the altitude, but that their expensive watch, which will be far more expensive to repair, is about its design, engineering, beauty.

You need to stick with buying things you can appreciate. Your comment alone shows that your philosophy is that you appreciate cost more than pretty much anything else. You're a budget spender so buy a cool budget phone. Since the ipod video Apple has been putting chrome on the back of their devices. Chrome gets scratched to shut, it's an 'aesthetics and design' choice. You don't buy products because you appreciate 'aesthetics and design' you buy products that you want to equal how you value your 'hard earned money'. Some people see the inherent worth in an object that is superiorly crafted with 'aesthetics and design' in mind. These people buy bmws, nice watches, and expensive jewelry, and they take care of those things, because they appreciate them. They understood what they bought to begin with. It's people who impulse buy and do not think about the long term investment that have a 'really nice Mercedes' for a couple years until the maintenance costs start to roll around, then they can't afford it and it gets run down and falls apart.

Let's be honest- it is 7mm thick- did anyone here truly honestly believe this 5.5 inch device made of aluminum 'might not' bend???

I've sat on mine in my back pocket getting into my car and knew right away I needed to adapt how I used this thing.

I carefully put it in my pocket (front) and have had it since release.

I take care of my 950 dollar phone, because it's not a 99 dollar flip phone that will last 10 years even if you threw it down an elevator shaft- it's an apple product. I knew what I was buying before I bought it.

Guess what, my phone hasn't bent.

Just admit it, you sat on it, and you don't want to admit you're wrong in the first place because you spent your money on a product you werent prepared to own.

These phones aren't magically bending in pockets. I can guarantee you that. Maybe it's human nature to exaggerate the truth when it's convenient for us to do so? Nahhh that never happens.
What a load of bollox

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.