Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Wow, that's one of the most elitist post I've ever read on any forum in past 15 years or so. This is a smart phone and should function as a smart phone, i.e. should withstand normal everyday use and should not need to be cared for any differently than any other smart phone.

Every new generation of smart phone should be better than the last (look this word up "innovation"), this includes both form and function. IF these things are bending under normal use Apple took a step backwards. Simple as that /thread.
No, the iPhone 6+ is a fashion statement aimed at letting rich people show the poor just how rich they are. If you intend to use the new iPhone as you normally would any other cell phone, you're missing the point entirely. The iPhone does not intend to fit your lifestyle, your lifestyle must fit the iPhone.

Buying the iPhone 6+ to put in your pocket to carry with you everywhere for the purposes of making phone calls, checking email, browsing the web, and watching videos would be a lot like buying an SRT-8 jeep to use for off road use -- you can do it, but you have to realize it's not optimized for it, and you'll have to deal with all the dings, scratches, and bends you'll get.

/sarcasm

I agree, of all the ludicrous posts and responses in this thread, and there are A LOT, that one certainly stands out. Don't care if it bends, because I can afford another one. LOL! Apple apologists will stop at nothing to make excuses to make themselves feel better about their purchase/decision. Why is it so hard to admit that it sucks that it might bend easier, but that it won't stop you from buying it, because the pros still outweigh that con for you? There's no shame in purchasing a product which has some (possible) flaw(s) -- all products have them, Apple included. People making ridiculous excuses such as you shouldn't carry your phone in your pocket, or that you don't care if it bends because you can afford to replace it, or that you actually want it to bend, just make themselves sound ridiculous.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Here's Apple's full statement....

"Our iPhones are designed, engineered and manufactured to be both beautiful and sturdy. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength. They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. We chose these high-quality materials and construction very carefully for their strength and durability. We also perform rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion, and user studies. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of our high quality standards to endure everyday, real life use.

With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare and through our first six days of sale, a total of nine customers have contacted Apple with a bent iPhone 6 Plus. As with any Apple product, if you have questions please contact Apple"

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
God forbid you come to MR and share you story about your iPhone being bent. Whether it's out of the box or from being in your pockets. This part of the forum is the worse. Same thing in xda.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
God forbid you come to MR and share you story about your iPhone being bent. Whether it's out of the box or from being in your pockets. This part of the forum is the worse. Same thing in xda.

The problem is some people are saying it but showing no proof, and why do we need 100 threads on the same thing? Half of the bends are from people literally trying to bend them with brute strength, what do they think is going to happen. If you can't feel the pressure that is enough to bend your phone in your pocket then maybe you should see a neurologist.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
No, the iPhone 6+ is a fashion statement aimed at letting rich people show the poor just how rich they are. If you intend to use the new iPhone as you normally would any other cell phone, you're missing the point entirely. The iPhone does not intend to fit your lifestyle, your lifestyle must fit the iPhone.

Buying the iPhone 6+ to put in your pocket to carry with you everywhere for the purposes of making phone calls, checking email, browsing the web, and watching videos would be a lot like buying an SRT-8 jeep to use for off road use -- you can do it, but you have to realize it's not optimized for it, and you'll have to deal with all the dings, scratches, and bends you'll get.

/sarcasm

I agree, of all the ludicrous posts and responses in this thread, and there are A LOT, that one certainly stands out. Don't care if it bends, because I can afford another one. LOL! Apple apologists will stop at nothing to make excuses to make themselves feel better about their purchase/decision. Why is it so hard to admit that it sucks that it might bend easier, but that it won't stop you from buying it, because the pros still outweigh that con for you? There's no shame in purchasing a product which has some (possible) flaw(s) -- all products have them, Apple included. People making ridiculous excuses such as you shouldn't carry your phone in your pocket, or that you don't care if it bends because you can afford to replace it, or that you actually want it to bend, just make themselves sound ridiculous.

I would wager you simply have different moral values than others do, or should I say that you have different motives than others.

You condemn people for having an appreciation of nice things and call it irresponsible- it bothers you that people can practice acceptance and understanding as to what their buying when you can't seem to wrap your head around it.

These are your issues. And it shows what kind of person you are that you have such a negative opinion of other people for appreciating different things in the things they chose to spend their money on than you do. It shows a lack of tolerance.

The definition of elitist is someone who separates themselves from the masses, believes their opinion, views, and or world view is superior to another human beings. A lack of tolerance.

I said I appreciafe different things than some people do and it's not about the value of what I'm buying in arguing- I'm arguing I understand what I'm buying- and that you, and many others, do not if you have the expectation that a 7mm phone shouldn't bend.

You are arguing it has to do with class and superiority and inferiority- you speak of terms of better and worse than- and you have targeted people on a level of morality and chosen to isolate your world view as 'better than' through your sarcasm.

Who's the elitist again?

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Regardless of how many are alleged to be bent, or reported for that matter, it still falls far under the 'acceptable' rate of bent phones to unharmed- and it's an decent polling number to make an educated guess as to the percentage of individuals who might have bent their phone and did not report it. No matter how you cut it, it's still far under even a tenth of a percent- which in relationship to the amount of phones that are broken to user error, upwards of 89 percent, it doesn't bode well for the 'claims' of design flaw. It still only goes to show its not a massive wide spread issue that is happening with a sample number far too small to mathematically gage the inherent severity of the issue. It pretty much is a small enough sample to call it a 'non-issue'.

And it doesn't excuse the fact that chances are people still don't appreciafe what they've spent their money on or of those people it wouldn't have happened to begin with.

Sorry, I undetstand statistics a little better than you think. But I definitely understand common sense in regards to how I treat a 950 dollar phone that's 7 mm thin. That doesn't take a mathematician to figure out.

No matter how little you think it is you are alone in that regard, this issue is blowing up, and the simple fact is if these people had their phones bent from being in their front pocket then everyone's phones can be bent from being in the front pocket. This is a structural issue and not a defect so all iphone 6+ will be the same when it comes to bending.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Because non-issues never get blown up in the media. The media never exacerbates situations and causes hysteria over something that we could have missed completely in regards to it affecting the vast majority of those it claimed it could have..

You're right, that was so 1999 of me to say so...

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
No matter how little you think it is you are alone in that regard, this issue is blowing up, and the simple fact is if these people had their phones bent from being in their front pocket then everyone's phones can be bent from being in the front pocket. This is a structural issue and not a defect so all iphone 6+ will be the same when it comes to bending.

Because non-issues never get blown up in the media. The media never exacerbates situations and causes hysteria over something that we could have missed completely in regards to it affecting the vast majority of those it claimed it could have..

You're right, that was so 1999 of me to say so...

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
made out of 'elegantly crafted aluminum' and is marketed as a 'feat of engineering' 'classy' 'personal', and not 'rugged' 'toughest' or 'strongest' is probably a device that isn't A) meant for everyone, B) should be taken care of, and C) is to be appreciated for it's design, not its durability.

You make it sound like a piece of art or decorative piece meant to be admired. This is a mobile phone, it is meant to be carried around. Most things we carry around are carried in our pockets. It should be able to survive the pressures of ordinary use.

It will still eventually develops, cracks, dents, and bends. But that will be after a year or two. But if it happens after a few days, that is a serious problem.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
No they didn't. They bent as well but being made of plastic they went back to their normal shape.

I.E they withstood it. The iphone 6+ screen cracked when trying to straighten out the bend. The other phones didnt bend.

By the way the htc m8, metal phone, didnt bend.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
That just seems wrong. Either that guy is amazingly strong, or something else is up. Is that a 6 or 6 Plus? I just tried bending my 6. Nada and I am a strong freaking guy.

Why would you try and bend your own phone? Not worth the risk at all to prive a point with someone online.

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
You and the others can talk how much you want.
Apple could have made the phone much more robust without compromising the appearance of it.
But they didn't.
As a result we have an iphone ( at least the 6+ ) that needs to be treated "with care".
Just because it was not designed with the amount of care that one would expect when looking at the price tag.

This is your matter of opinion. Newsflash: most expensive things require more care, not less. True story.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Nsite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
You make it sound like a piece of art or decorative piece meant to be admired. This is a mobile phone, it is meant to be carried around. Most things we carry around are carried in our pockets. It should be able to survive the pressures of ordinary use.

It will still eventually develops, cracks, dents, and bends. But that will be after a year or two. But if it happens after a few days, that is a serious problem.

By your argument a Mont Blanc is just an overpriced bic. And that's because you feel a pen is just a pen. If something else can do at the very basic level its intention then they are equals. A watch should be a watch, car a car, phone a phone. But
A watch is meant to tell time. Big difference between a Casio and a Rolex. The problem is you feel everyone should inherently value a 'cell phone' the way you do.

It's common knowledge that a phone has replaced for the majority of people the watch- history's time telling piece of 'personal expression' used to serve a purpose and be adorned and enjoyed by its owner.

Do you not see apples angle here? A phone is a piece of art or decoration to be admired, it's no different except it's a piece of technology we have with us constantly that does more than simply telling us the time now. Why do you think people spend hundreds, thousands on watches? It's a matter of appreciation and perspective. And some watches are far more durable than the more expensive counterparts, but that doesn't make them more enjoyable to wear, or appreciate.

Hey if it bothers you so much to have a phone you 'might' need to be a little careful with, for God sakes go buy one that won't bend, and move on. This phone wasn't meant for you anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.