Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
These "tests" are so arbitrary and random they cannot be taken seriously. There is absolutely no control in place. The amount of force, how it's applied and where the force is concentrated is inconsistent and not even being measured.

Totally subjective, hardly valid. Lame and wasteful.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
The iPhone 7 will be made entirely out of granite and weigh over 500 pounds ... just for the haters.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Every year there's a ridiculous amount of threads created hating on the
"new" design (iPhone 4 with he separation the on antenna band, iPhone 5 and the two-tone back) or some feature or something stupid and as soon as it is announced by Apple everyone forgets about the complaints.

That is, until the product gets released and then everyone flocks to find flaws in what they just purchased (antenna-gate, scuff-gate).

People were trying to make heat-gate happen but soon realized it was a non issue, so now we are going to settle on bend-gate?

I don't understand the mentality that we can't just be happy with our purchase, we have to create a reason to hate something. So many threads on this forum of people criticizing those who purchased the iPhone 6 Plus and vise versa.

How dare anyone complain about a phone that drops calls when held wrong? Only a total imbecile would hold a phone wrong!

And these idiots who put phones in their pockets, WTF!!!! Why would you carry a thin rectangular phone in a pocket? Nobody with a brain puts a phone in his pocket! For the love of God, put them where they are made to go: in a microfiber-lined steel reenforced heavily padded waterproof purse!

The decline of America draws nigh. So sad to see a once great country ruined by drooling idiots.

/snark

DemNoir

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Any mainstream news outlet that dares pick up on this nonsense should be banned from people's minds forever.

As for you Macrumors, your nothing but the worst kind of click-bait whores.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Anyone who thinks that they can argue their lack of awareness and common sense concerning the placement of an iPhone 6 + in a normal sized pocket without ramifications has got to be a first class imbecile.

I cannot believe the idiocy that's out there.

Well at least the iPhone 6 fared well.

The 6 fared more then well haha, the HTC M8 was ready to burst open from the screen side if he would of applied any more pressure and kept going, its funny he was trying so hard to break the iPhone 6 pushing really hard for at least a good 30-45 seconds, but on the M8 you heard a pop within 5 seconds and he only did it for like 10 seconds , if he would of kept going he would of destroyed that M8

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
These "tests" are so arbitrary and random they cannot be taken seriously. There is absolutely no control in place. The amount of force, how it's applied and where the force is concentrated is inconsistent and not even being measured.

totally agree, the 'tests' are not repeatable or measurable. They could have even taken two books/bricks placed the smartphone between them so that it will bend when enough weight is placed at the midpoint. Then start stacking weights until it bends. They could even measure how much it bends.

Just having a guy try to bend it with his hands is a poor test.

P.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
I agree

It appears to me that he really lays into the iPhone and almost faking it with the others.

It really is true if you want to try and prove your point you can manipulate the tests. Find its week spot and exploit it, it happens every year when a new iPhone is released. Some just get more air time then others.

The only way to really do it is a controlled study and all phone tested in all the design week points. I'm sure someone will now, that Apple is involved.

It still will never matter to me, same as "antenna gate" didn't cause a real world problem with most.

I've been using my 6 Plus since Friday, carrying it in my front pocket and sitting down with no problem! It's a little big in my front pocket but I can deal with it, a lot better then I was expecting! The 6 Plus is awesome.:apple:

ArisaemaDracont

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Madison
A bunch of Apple Apologists, the lot of you

I don't understand why everyone here so quick to defend Apple on this one and place blame on users and testers/bloggers (even if they aren't scientists!).

A device you keep on your person daily should be built to withstand daily use. It should not be so pliable as to bend in pants pockets, with nothing but soft flesh and fabric exerting force on it. There is no way I could bend my 4s or iPad with just force exerted from my hands. Hands are not that strong. And I should not have to take my phone out of my pocket every time I sit down, that's ridiculous.

It should not be damaged in any noticeable way when dropped from waist height for crying out loud. Just not acceptable.

This is a case where design was more important than function. Apple designers went too far with such a thin design and so little structure to it.

People keep saying 'Aluminum is soft' when they mean its malleable. The thing is, there are many alloys of Al with many different properties. If Apple was going to make such a thin phone they should have sought out a stiffer alloy such as 7075 series or Scandium. The design should incorporate elements that increase stiffness.

This is a clear FAIL by Apple.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Drooling idiots take a large flat device and sit on it with their fat asses or fat guts and bend it. its only news because it's Apple. Where were all the reporters when people were breakin and bending phones from Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, blackberry over the years? Nowhere, because if you sat on your phone and broke it YOU were to blame. Nowadays no one takes personal responsibility for anything. THIS is the result of the world we live in and the self entitled ********s who think the world owes them a living.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Drooling idiots take a large flat device and sit on it with their fat asses or fat guts and bend it. its only news because it's Apple. Where were all the reporters when people were breakin and bending phones from Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, blackberry over the years? Nowhere, because if you sat on your phone and broke it YOU were to blame. Nowadays no one takes personal responsibility for anything. THIS is the result of the world we live in and the self entitled ********s who think the world owes them a living.

You have a lot of nerve coming into a thread like this and posting a cogent response that puts things into perspective. Are you some kind of subversive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.