Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricky187

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2017
I have i phone 7 128 gb purchased ladt october from usa... it has similar issue of battery swelling out and screen popping up slowly... i went to apple care in new delhi, india where he says that it will replaced under paid replacement of 25,200 INR ( 400 usd) even the device is under warranty. The guy with first look started insisting for paid replacement which later he put an excuse from some dent marks. When i contacted apple care india over website, they contacted that service centre and completely matching words with them and now denying the fact the device has an issue with swollen battery, and the problem has been caused only by some dent marks there. Now, i feel so troubled and disheartened and knows nothing what to do. The device is slowly bulging out day by day even when switched off and appears that it might explode at any point of time. Second time i gave a call to apple care, another lady said she will put it for a second opinion and yet to reply today.
Now guys, please suggest what should i do. I feel complete injustice in my case. Please check the images im attacing here. What i should do now if they still deny a warranty claim for repair/replacement. Pls help. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 426

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wow, that's terrible and you are using it!!! That thing could blow up in your face! I don't know if you dropped it or not but it sure looks like a defective battery to me. I'm pretty sure that in the US Apple would replace it right away. You need another phone fast!

ricky187

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2017
Wow, that's terrible and you are using it!!! That thing could blow up in your face! I don't know if you dropped it or not but it sure looks like a defective battery to me. I'm pretty sure that in the US Apple would replace it right away. You need another phone fast!
[doublepost=1496232859][/doublepost]Its not in use... i have kept it away where it wont harm if it explodes... pictures i have send to apple care and they are reviewing it... let see what happens

spoon72

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
singapore
In Singapore they also don't replace the phone for free with battery swelling, I was told to pay at least about USD289 to replace a iPhone 5s. In the end I replaced the battery myself that cost usd21

coolhive

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2017
A month ago I noticed that the left side of my out-of-warranty iP6 display was beginning to separate from the body of the phone. Over the next couple of weeks the bulge became more pronounced so that viewed from the side the display had raised almost 1/4 inch (.64 cm) from the body. Also, the phone periodically felt warmer than usual and battery life was significantly diminished. An authorized Apple repair facility nearby examined the phone and diagnosed a swollen battery. They said that Apple may or may not offer a replacement unit, and that the turnaround would be about 1 week.

If you're having this issue with your iP6 and it's beyond the 1-year warranty (mine was by more than 9 months), don't hesitate to ask Apple for a swap. Over the weekend I had to make an unexpected day trip to Jacksonville, FL where fortunately there's an Apple Store. No exaggeration that once the Apple tech looked at my phone, I was on my way with a replacement in less than 10 minutes. The encounter documentation (below) stated that the phone was replaced under the "iPhone Quality" program.

I'm posting this because I couldn't find anything online about how Apple has handled this problem specific to the iPhone 6.
IMEI: 354408063465923
Serial No: DNPND48VG5MG
Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Customer's iPhone 6 battery is swollen and causing rapid depletion of battery life and overheating.
Steps to Reproduce: Observed swollen battery.
Cosmetic Condition: Customers iPhone shows a lifted display near the left hand side of the display.
Proposed Resolution: Offered to process the phone for a swap repair at no cost as per the iPhone quality program.
I have the same issues. Just called Apple and they are swapping out my phone for a brand new one.

BTinSF

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
San Francisco
My iphone 6 plus suffered this battery expansion issue over the last week or so. It is 3 years old--I bought it when they first came out so both the free warranty and my AppleCare+ had expired. I took it to the Apple Store and they offerred me an iphone 6S plus--one model year newer--for $79.00 (that phone is still selling at the Apple Online Store for $749--it's the 128 mb model). They said the iphone 6 plus like mine was "restricted availability" and they didn't have any more. I grabbed the deal.

Reactions: Peter K.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
My iphone 6 plus suffered this battery expansion issue over the last week or so. It is 3 years old--I bought it when they first came out so both the free warranty and my AppleCare+ had expired. I took it to the Apple Store and they offerred me an iphone 6S plus--one model year newer--for $79.00 (that phone is still selling at the Apple Online Store for $749--it's the 128 mb model). They said the iphone 6 plus like mine was "restricted availability" and they didn't have any more. I grabbed the deal.
good deal!

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
My phone has a similar symptom I just noticed, and it looks like it's affected the screen as well (slight blotchy discoloration down the middle.) Taking it into the SoHo Apple Store tomorrow. Going to try and get at least a 6S upgrade if I've got to pay for repair.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I wonder if the battery manufacturer pays for this when this happens - why Apple is so willing to replace for free? Just curious who pays - Apple or the battery company (genuine curiosity nothing more).

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
A month ago I noticed that the left side of my out-of-warranty iP6 display was beginning to separate from the body of the phone. Over the next couple of weeks the bulge became more pronounced so that viewed from the side the display had raised almost 1/4 inch (.64 cm) from the body. Also, the phone periodically felt warmer than usual and battery life was significantly diminished. An authorized Apple repair facility nearby examined the phone and diagnosed a swollen battery. They said that Apple may or may not offer a replacement unit, and that the turnaround would be about 1 week.

If you're having this issue with your iP6 and it's beyond the 1-year warranty (mine was by more than 9 months), don't hesitate to ask Apple for a swap. Over the weekend I had to make an unexpected day trip to Jacksonville, FL where fortunately there's an Apple Store. No exaggeration that once the Apple tech looked at my phone, I was on my way with a replacement in less than 10 minutes. The encounter documentation (below) stated that the phone was replaced under the "iPhone Quality" program.

I'm posting this because I couldn't find anything online about how Apple has handled this problem specific to the iPhone 6.
IMEI: 354408063465923
Serial No: DNPND48VG5MG
Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Customer's iPhone 6 battery is swollen and causing rapid depletion of battery life and overheating.
Steps to Reproduce: Observed swollen battery.
Cosmetic Condition: Customers iPhone shows a lifted display near the left hand side of the display.
Proposed Resolution: Offered to process the phone for a swap repair at no cost as per the iPhone quality program.

If you have kept this phone lil longer and if it had burned out completely then you would have gone to lawyer to file law suit. that way apple would have settled with you between $50000-$250000. But since you are good person you quietly went to apple store and just handed over $50000. That’s a sign of good citizen, good human. Glad that your is replaced, is this iphone working good?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you have kept this phone lil longer and if it had burned out completely then you would have gone to lawyer to file law suit. that way apple would have settled with you between $50000-$250000. But since you are good person you quietly went to apple store and just handed over $50000. That’s a sign of good citizen, good human. Glad that your is replaced, is this iphone working good?

Your dreams of this money is not so easy.

tugger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Glad that your is replaced, is this iphone working good?

It's been almost a year and a half since I got the replacement phone and it continues to work perfectly. Hoping it lasts until the 2018 iPhone models cycle.

Reactions: Zune55

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
My iPhone 6 also developed a swollen battery. It is 3 years and 1 month old. I had to pay 99 bucks to get it fixed. I asked about the quality program and the Genius told me it would only be a free fix in the first 2 years after purchase.

frogX

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
Berkeley USA
Hi, my 1yr and 8mos old iphone6 has a swollen battery so I went to istore customer service and they offered me a replacement battery for 9,000 Philippine peso. I am willing to take that offer but then I heard about this store called Power Mac and brought my phone there. They told me that they can replace my phone with a new unit if there are no other problems with my phone, free of charge. I was really happy when I heard that so I came back to the store after I backed up my datas and reset my phone only to find out that they can't replace it anymore since they found a small crack at the bottom of the screen I ask them if it's ok if I just buy that replacement battery from iStore customer service instead of having my whole unit replaced(for Php21,000+), she said no because it might swell again since there might be parts of the unit that is damaged by the swollen battery. I asked her again if it's ok to use it with swollen battery she then told me that there are no history of exploding/burning batteries yet. Is it ok to continue using my phone? It drains out quickly and I have to bring powerbank everywhere since it already relies on charging.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Failed battery in an iPhone 6. The battery in this 2 years old iPhone6 bulged and pushed the screen outwards until the case separated. Looking at the web, this seems to be a common problem with the iPhone6, but Apple refused to recall or even replaced batteries after 3 months. This problem happened with so many iPhone6s that Apple issued a very rare recall for one batch of iPhone6s due to ‘poor quality of the battery’. No such luck with the iPhone6, and it will cost you either $299 for a refurbished iPhone6 or $79 for a new battery if you find a friendly store manager. This was in December 2017, a few weeks before Apple announced a $29 battery replacement campaign for the iPhone6 following the ‘aging battery slowdown’ fiasco.
iPhone6-1.jpg

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
+++++++++++++++++++++
Failed battery in an iPhone 6. The battery in this 2 years old iPhone6 bulged and pushed the screen outwards until the case separated. Looking at the web, this seems to be a common problem with the iPhone6, but Apple refused to recall or even replaced batteries after 3 months. This problem happened with so many iPhone6s that Apple issued a very rare recall for one batch of iPhone6s due to ‘poor quality of the battery’. No such luck with the iPhone6, and it will cost you either $299 for a refurbished iPhone6 or $79 for a new battery if you find a friendly store manager. This was in December 2017, a few weeks before Apple announced a $29 battery replacement campaign for the iPhone6 following the ‘aging battery slowdown’ fiasco.
View attachment 748219
iPhone 6S didn’t have swollen battery issues. They prematurely shut down while under load..

frogX

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
Berkeley USA
Sure, I'm willing to believe I lack the necessary powers of persuasion/charisma to get a free replacement in this case. FWIW, I think my interaction with the Apple Store employee was polite/honest/reasonable, but who knows, maybe I'm a horrible judge of that too.

In any case, my main purpose is really to let people in the same situation (i.e. out-of-warranty swollen battery) know that a free replacement is truly YMMV, not "always". It might be easier with the iPhone 5 since there's a publicly advertised Quality Program that covers it, but not for other models.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
The battery in my 22-months old iPhone6 bulged and pushed the screen outwards until the case separated. The gap was up to 4mm. Browsing the web, this seems to be a known problem with the iPhone6, but Apple refused to recall or even replaced batteries after 3 months. The exception was the iPhone6s battery that Apple recalled for a short period of time because it was shutting the phone down at random. No such luck with the iPhone6, and it will cost you either $299 for a refurbished iPhone6 or $79 for a new battery if you find a friendly store manager. ‘Genius’ comment about the bulged battery was ‘you need to upgrade’ ! So I paid the $79 early December 2017, two weeks before Apple announced a $29 battery replacement campaign for the iPhone6 following the ‘aging battery slowdown’ fiasco. I just asked last week whether I would qualify for a refund of the $79-$29 difference, and the answer was ‘no … so far.
iPhone6-1.jpg
iPhone6gap2.jpg

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
For $1,000 devices it would be nice to have cellphones last longer but it seems like the software gets near unusable after 3 years. Physically, unless a battery is replaced after 2 years it becomes an inconvenience to use. I have a 2011 Mac Mini that I'm using as my main machine and it's going strong - with 8GB of ram and an SSD it flies. My 6s+ with iOS 11 was laggy as heck when it first came out. My wife's 6s+ battery was crap - shutting off all the time - we blew $80 putting a new battery in that thing. Because of the iOS 11 slowdowns, we both got 8+ phones. But it seems like to keep your phone usable you have to get a new phone every 3 years or so.

Can't wait for phone hardware to catch up with computers - where the hardware really isn't going anywhere so you can have a 2011 computer running latest Mac OS and it's still pretty fast.

Apple's crappy 6s+ batteries definitely upset me - especially when they refused to do anything about my wife's 6s+ that was restarting constantly under 60% charge.

Don't reply on those Apple Genius employees - I've met quite a few great ones but there are a lot of bad ones that have no clue what they're doing or saying.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Don't reply on those Apple Genius employees - I've met quite a few great ones but there are a lot of bad ones that have no clue what they're doing or saying.

Problem with those "Genius" are that Apple expanded their Genius bar service way too quickly and as a result you have people who don't have the experience and customer focus the Genius back in 2005-2008 had.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Any type of iPhone swollen battery or over heating battery will be swapped out by Apple regardless of how old the iPhone is
Apple stands behind their product and battery issues are an uncontrollable and potentially dangerous situation that Apple doesn’t want happening

Reactions: tugger

tugger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Any type of iPhone swollen battery or over heating battery will be swapped out by Apple regardless of how old the iPhone is
Apple stands behind their product and battery issues are an uncontrollable and potentially dangerous situation that Apple doesn’t want happening

True. I started this thread in the summer of 2016 after Apple replaced my iPhone 6 (purchased at launch Sep 2014) because of a swollen battery. Yesterday I took that iPhone to an Apple Store for the battery swap. The tech examined it and told me the battery was swelling and could not simply be replaced. Instead he offered me a white box (refurbished) phone for the $29 battery price. I smiled all the way home.

Hopefully this one will last until Apple releases a new model so compelling that I can't resist putting down the plastic.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
True. I started this thread in the summer of 2016 after Apple replaced my iPhone 6 (purchased at launch Sep 2014) because of a swollen battery. Yesterday I took that iPhone to an Apple Store for the battery swap. The tech examined it and told me the battery was swelling and could not simply be replaced. Instead he offered me a white box (refurbished) phone for the $29 battery price. I smiled all the way home.

Hopefully this one will last until Apple releases a new model so compelling that I can't resist putting down the plastic.
You got A+ service.

Apple may not get it right 100% of the time. However, their striving for such with customers is a big part of why I stick with Apple.

sboye

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
You got A+ service.

Apple may not get it right 100% of the time. However, their striving for such with customers is a big part of why I stick with Apple.

I wish i had the same luck. I've gone round and round with Apple support to get an iPhone 6 with swollen battery fixed, and today they told me, they were sorry but the phone is out of warranty and can't be fixed. The battery is available for replacement but after testing at their service center (shipped from Best Buy to Apple and Apple returned unrepaired) they found other problems that would prevent them from just replacing the battery and unfortunately the phone is past warranty and can't be replaced. The Apple support guy (supervisor) even suggested that perhaps the battery might have caused the excess damage that Apple deems not covered.

BTW, the phone worked fine when i took it in for battery replacement other than having a swollen battery. I guess the only thing i can do is put an unauthorized battery in the phone myself and hope it never explodes.

Very disappointed with Apple service. It will certainly influence my purchasing decisions in the future.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wish i had the same luck. I've gone round and round with Apple support to get an iPhone 6 with swollen battery fixed, and today they told me, they were sorry but the phone is out of warranty and can't be fixed. The battery is available for replacement but after testing at their service center (shipped from Best Buy to Apple and Apple returned unrepaired) they found other problems that would prevent them from just replacing the battery and unfortunately the phone is past warranty and can't be replaced. The Apple support guy (supervisor) even suggested that perhaps the battery might have caused the excess damage that Apple deems not covered.

BTW, the phone worked fine when i took it in for battery replacement other than having a swollen battery. I guess the only thing i can do is put an unauthorized battery in the phone myself and hope it never explodes.

Very disappointed with Apple service. It will certainly influence my purchasing decisions in the future.
Well, they likely can replace it, but it would essentially be an out-of-warranty replacement that has a cost associated with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.