iPhone 6: Worth the upgrade? Not at all.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xSinghx, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xSinghx, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

This is probably the first phone from Apple that is a genuine step backwards. It has all of what is not needed or wanted and none of what is.

Screen Size:
    The iPhone 5 was already a step up in screen size and there is now the iPhone 6 Plus for those that need a PDA to call a phone. The bump in screen size for iPhone 6 is not only not wanted by people who are perfectly content with a phone that fits in their front pocket but also a waste of money that could have gone towards other features like 32gb of storage for the base model. Further it now feels completely awkward to hold in one hand.

Storage:
    16gigs of storage for $199? Way to make your phone feel cheap Apple (3yrs ago this was the base storage for the iPhone 5). As the size of iOS grows along with the size of the apps that use it (not to mention space for music and photos), 16gigs really shortchanges your users the "better experience" Apple is claims to offer. Of course the pricing structure is such to not simply nudge users towards spending $100 more for 64gigs of storage but make it almost mandatory for any semi-knowledgeable user. This of course sours the experience of buying a new phone.

Design:
    Rounded bulbous edges, protruding camera and rubbery inserts? Is this phone meant to float or something? This is a far cry from the tapered edges of an iMac or the streamlined purity the metal band around the iPhone 4/5 offered. Is a marginally better camera really worth breaking the form? People take pictures with their phone, sure. Do they weigh a marginal spec bump as the reason to buy or not buy, I certainly don't, but that 16gig storage thing - absolutely.

NFC:
    Maybe this is a selling point in other countries. In the US most people remain indifferent. There is probably more excitement from people about emojis and custom keyboards than anything dealing with NFC.

So what are the selling points of this phone? It has a new chip, the A8, which of course every year's phone has, and it has a motion chip. Ok that's nice.

So how does my day-to-day experience benefit from this new iPhone? Well it won't fit in a front pocket, I'll probably drop it more because of the awkward size, it doesn't lay flat on a table because of the new pimple-cam, it handicaps itself with small storage, and it looks like a metal biscuit. Is it worth an upgrade?

Not at all.

2. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Your opinion.

Yay! I can finally get a decent sized screen for my monster hands! Thanks Apple.

Yay! I can finally get a phone with enough storage to cart around everything I don't want in the cloud. Thanks Apple.

Mine is going into a case. Like every other phone I've previously had. Don't like this model? Wait 2 years for a new design.

Yay! I can finally get a phone that will help keep MY money and purchases more secure and far easier. Thanks Apple.

Can't wait to upgrade! Of course that's just my opinion and I don't necessarily expect it to apply to everyone. For me however, it's the best upgrade yet (since my original 3G).

3. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

4. I7guy macrumors P6

5. Stu2510 macrumors newbie

Phew, thanks for this, for one minute there I thought I was going to have to have an opinion about my phone and my experience with it, but thankfully you've decided to speak for everyone. You truly are an inspiration

6. wxman2003, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

wxman2003 Suspended

Have you actually taken time to look at an iPhone since the 4 model? Apparently not. Everything you say is totally useless, since you know nothing about the the iPhones since the 4S came out. Now go away troll. See that little card sticking out the side of the phone. That's a sim card. Can you say that? Sim card. Try again. Sim card. I knew you could.

[​IMG]

7. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

TLDR

This is really simple. Don't like it, don't get it. Can't afford it? That's fine. Don't create long rambling threads trying to convince people that can afford it that they made a bad choice. It's petty and stupid.

8. xSinghx thread starter Suspended

xSinghx

I don't find the need to chase down threads I disagree with to insult the speaker and the thread - I suggest you guys try to do the same.

If you can't make a contribution move along to a thread you can.

9. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

The SIM card can be replaced. The tray is located next to the power button on the righthand side of the phone.

I agree on the 16GB being ridiculous for a flagship device, and I would have gladly traded an increase in thickness for a flush camera and larger battery.

10. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

You lost me at no sim slot cause you clearly don't know what you are talking about

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Attached Files:

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

[​IMG]

Please, what do you think this is?

:rolleyes:

13. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

The screen size is not a big deal to me. I tried the 4.7" device at the Apple Store and it was easy to use with one hand (the 5.5" plus is impossible unless one has huge hands).

Screen quality on the 6 is a vast improvement over the 5/5S.

14. xSinghx thread starter Suspended

xSinghx

Obviously I missed it while I was looking at it the other day. However that does not dismiss any of the other points I made. Your comment is just a straw man.

15. 617aircav Suspended

It's the phone that brought me back to iOS. 5s was too small for me.

16. xSinghx thread starter Suspended

xSinghx

17. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

There's nothing to contribute to this thread. You basically took it upon yourself to start a post based on your own opinion and dislikes. You clearly have your mind made up, so again, what is there to contribute?

No sim card slot? Whatever you're on, I want some.

18. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

it was over after the no sim-card slot.

really? nobody wanted the bigger screen?

when everyone was clamoring about a bigger screen and a new design?

NFC is great. what are you talking about? I'd only have to carry a little bit of cash and no wallet or a wallet case if it catches on everywhere.

but yeah i cant believe they're selling 16GB for the base, for the iPad thats even more ridiculous.

i bought the iPad air, and after 3 months i completely regretted getting the 16GB.

its hardly enough. i want to see high end iPad games, but i can only have one at a time, i nearly had to delete all my office apps as well

19. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

It's actually not a straw man lol.

Do you even know what that means?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your comments on style are mere opinion, therefore dismissible.

Now on storage, I agree that 16GB is too low but the fact remains that THERE ISN'T ENOUGH NAND WORLDWIDE TO MEET DEMAND.

NFC, as of 2015 ALL retailers are now liable for credit card fraud, meaning POS systems will be upgraded. Guess what little gem comes standard on all modern POS systems?....NFC.

Lastly, if you are going to dismiss this year's silicon because "every new years phone has a new chip"...well I'm not sure you understand technology at all.

21. xSinghx thread starter Suspended

xSinghx

That's what the iPhone 6+ was for.

I don't see why the 6 needs to conform to the bigger is better logic.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Trust me, I'd love a 4.3"-4.5" option. 4.7" is frankly the largest I will EVER go with a phone, because I actually value one handed use. At least on this we are in agreement.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, the iPhone 6/6 Plus aren't for you. Isn't it nice that you have lots of different phones to choose from?

24. Bigj1288 macrumors newbie

Thank you for complaining that to me. I mean explaining. If you don't like the new phone don't get it. We all don't need to hear you explain why you don't like it. This isn't your editorial

25. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.