Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Well, force touch.
Anything new on hardware could be claimed as "current-version-only".

Luckily, if the only brand new hardware added on iPhone 6s or 6s Plus is force touch screen, I think I don't need to expect much difference between current 6 and upcoming 6s.

i think something will be a signifier that you have the S model. with the 5S they had an aesthetic departure and i imagine apple appreciated this: it helped those with a fixation on 'status' feel like everyone knew they had the latest model. if apple makes the 6S visually identical to the 6 it will surprise me greatly.

Fully cloud based thing? Where are those apps?
And if my device heavily relies on Internet, I would better not buying it. Chromebook is an example moving ahead of time. They have too much faith on their cloud storage service security.

i did say 'one day' ;) - and i doubt apple would do it the way google does, but really, this would just be an option for those who don't mind relying on connectivity. i'm sure they're out there

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
4k is being pushed down consumers throats because television sales are dwindling. 3D was supposed to be the next thing to put money in the pockets of the television industry, but it failed miserably. They've now moved on to 4k (UHD) as their next transition in television production. Everybody THINKS they want 4k, because of the marketing, but they haven't actually had to deal with 4k file sizes, the lack of ecosystem to support 4k, and the barely perceivable difference when casually watching 4k content.
As a professional video producer for 19 years, transitioning from analog SD to digital SD to digital 16x9 to HD, this is the most trivial transition yet. At NAB this year they were already pushing 8k hard, which is going to be the next step to try and pull more money out of consumers. I've got a few professional level ($35,000 each) 4k cameras, and they're really only good for shooting a wide shot and then cropping multiple HD images out of the one 4k shot.

Well I have seen HDR content on 4K TVs (Samsung SUHD) and it will blow people away. It really is fantastic. That is the problem though...4K in the current state is only about resolution, which is useless. A greater color gamut and HDR really do improve picture quality (no content except demo content right now though). I wonder if 3D will actually take off b.c of 4K. Having full resolution and passive 3D is really great. I think 3D stalled b.c it sucked initially....3D on a 4K set with passive 3D is a treat. Related to that; Jurassic World has seen nearly 50% of ticket sales be in 3D. It is not that people do not want 3D, it is that it sucked for many years at home.

I would rather see apple look into OLED for their screens. That would make the biggest difference for content consumption. The 6+ with an OLED screen would be perfect.

Reactions: bhayes444

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
They were always saying samsung and other phone makers were adding useless features and that there was no need for such high quality photos and videos. But like you said once apple does it it's like the best thing sine sliced bread. Sometimes I feel like folks on this forum have short term memory problems.

They want to defend their walled garden. They are just afraid to take a step outside of it.

morcutt11

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2015
USA
They were always saying samsung and other phone makers were adding useless features and that there was no need for such high quality photos and videos. But like you said once apple does it it's like the best thing sine sliced bread. Sometimes I feel like folks on this forum have short term memory problems.
I think that Samsung does add some useless features and bloatware, but higher-end screens and cameras have always been desired by the Apple users. In addition, there are many here that complain about Apple's insistence in making the phone thinner instead of putting in a bigger battery, not supporting removable storage, etc. Yes, there are some that are Apple fanboys and refuse to acknowledge that anything else is better, but most Apple users recognize that while Apple will pioneer something thing (real fingerprint reading, 64 bit processing, etc.), Apple is looking at the bigger picture about how all of the pieces fit together for usability - the sum of the whole being more than that of the individual functions.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
i think something will be a signifier that you have the S model. with the 5S they had an aesthetic departure and i imagine apple appreciated this: it helped those with a fixation on 'status' feel like everyone knew they had the latest model. if apple makes the 6S visually identical to the 6 it will surprise me greatly.

So they would need to add something which could let those guys chasing after the latest and the greatest feel well because others may comment "Whoa, you are using iPhone 6s/6s Plus!"
Well, I myself don't really care. Or what I want is not to let anyone notice I am using the latest and the greatest if applicable. And, yes, this could be another subjective question with no standard answer. ;)

i did say 'one day' ;) - and i doubt apple would do it the way google does, but really, this would just be an option for those who don't mind relying on connectivity. i'm sure they're out there

Yep. One day, some of us would prefer handing on everything they have to the cloud, and praise the "easy access" of their whether precious or not cloud contents.

I would say they are pathetic.:cool: But right, this is another subjective question with no standard answer. ;)

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany

Will never happen because cellular network is a shared medium. The network operators are even today not able to provide a reliable bandwidth to their customers. And they even have to offer throttled services.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
They want to defend their walled garden. They are just afraid to take a step outside of it.

i don't have the time, energy, or inclination to tinker endlessly with my phone. if a walled garden lets you accomplish 99.9% of the things 'open' gardens accomplish but keeps me from having to think about it, i'm all in. and having been in apple's ecosystem for some 20+ years, changing course simply because the other guys do a few things before apple does would be silly.

how some people don't understand this is the real head-scratcher. you're honestly surprised that a vocal minority have a heavy focus on specs/features and who integrates them 'first'? i find it wholly unsurprising based on some hobbyists in nearly every hobby ever - best to not pretend they represent anything more than a vocal minority.

Will never happen because cellular network is a shared medium. The network operators are even today not able to provide a reliable bandwidth to their customers. And they even have to offer throttled services.

20 years ago everything we do on smartphones would have been laughed at as a pipe dream. the thing about what's 'impossible' at one point because of existing technologies is that it becomes very possible when an unexpected change or improvement in those technologies becomes available.

donnydarko

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015

A sketchy and unconfirmed internal document posted by an alleged Foxconn employee on Chinese microblogging website Weibo (via PhoneArena) corroborates rumors that the next-generation iPhone could feature a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera with 4K video recording and 240 FPS slow-motion capabilities.

Weibo-iPhone-6s-Documents-800x483.jpg

Weibo user KJuma has since removed the pair of leaked documents he shared on the Twitter-like service, but not before the images began making their rounds on the web. The documents also corroborate multiple rumors claiming the so-called iPhone 6s ("N66") and iPhone 6s Plus ("N71") will have 2GB of RAM.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a respectable track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, issued a note to investors in May with eleven predictions for the next iPhone, and a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera sensor and A9 processor with 2GB of RAM were among the new features he listed.

Article Link: 'iPhone 6s' Again Rumored to Feature 12MP Camera With 4K Video Recording

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
If this is true, then the new AppleTV has also got to have 4K video capabilities. Otherwise it would be silly to be able to shoot in 4K and not be to watch it on your Apple TV.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Wonder where they will define a limit. 12 and more MP are fine, but most users will scale down anyway because of capacity restrictions sooner or later.

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
If the front facing camera isn't improved also then I might be jumping ship for once...

Reactions: ABC5S

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
2 things on iphone 6s that make people wanted are

- camera improve
- rose gold ( pink )

everything else the same

donnydarko

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
4k video? With what framerate and color depth? The higher the quality the more the hard drive goes bye bye. 8-bit with
30 fps seems possible (with a 32gb hd to start with). It will be interesting to see what the size of the sensor would be
because again, that stuff ain’t cheap. Price hike for a more advanced model?
I think they have to do it because they really want the 5k iMac to be the default desktop that they sell the most of.
8mp photos on the 5k iMac look like like crap so at the very least they need to upgrade the camera to take photos that can
match the max resolution of the 5k iMac.
My 2 year contract on my beloved 5s will be up so I’m really looking forward to the upgrade. I only wish I could buy it
in the same form factor as my 5s (I have small hands). I would rather have a thicker smaller heavier phone than the new
larger sizes. If they could stretch the screen size so the phone is borderless then it would be the only phone I would ever need or want.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
What gets me with 4K camera's is that most screens cannot show 4K as there is too many pixels - if its for zoom, would it be better to improve the zoom features on the camera itself also?
Downscaled 4k to 1080 will look better than native 1080. Even if you aren't using 4k video at full resolution, if you have the space it never hurts to use.

For example, I often work with 6k RED dragon footage. We have never delivered anything above 1080 but shooting in 6k makes the downscaled footage look better than if we shot it in 1080.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Yes, I'm sure that's how they worded it, no need for "such high quality photos".:rolleyes: Ever notice the people accusing others of "memory problems" are really, really good at straw-man arguments?

The point is that poorer optics paired with tons of megapixels is a waste. Also, advances in CPU performance are also really important to be able to take larger pictures without long delays between shots.

Reactions: Jason83 and dndk

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada

I agree with your point but a lot of the time it's in the delivery.

All 4k is not created equal. 4k shot on a Samsung phone and 4k shot on a $30 000 camera don't look the same (as well they shouldn't). Apple doesn't tend to be the first player to the party but they do often improve on what others have already done. I would wager that Samsung had a 4k camera first (or whoever did, I think it was Samsung) but apples will have better quality.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
All 4k is not created equal. 4k shot on a Samsung phone and 4k shot on a $30 000 camera don't look the same (as well they shouldn't). Apple doesn't tend to be the first player to the party but they do often improve on what others have already done. I would wager that Samsung had a 4k camera first (or whoever did, I think it was Samsung) but apples will have better quality.

If Apple improves on the S6's camera we'll all be in for a treat. The video and photos from the S6 are exceptional. The only thing keeping me on the iPhone is the camera, but seeing what Samsung has produced definitely makes me look at the other side of the fence.

In addition to 4K video, I would love RAW capabilities on the rear camera, and an updated front-facing camera.

Reactions: ABC5S and AleXXXa

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Wait I thought Mega Pixels don't matter.. :\
They don't matter on their own. They aren't the only thing that matters. But yeah, you actually do need megapixels for a digital camera to capture an image so obviously they matter. But you seem to be confusing the nuanced discussion of digital camera technology with an opportunity to troll.

Megapixels shouldn't be a flagship feature or the only thing pushed forward. But as screen resolutions increase so, too, should our photo and video resolutions. Apple have done a respectable job of keeping stride there while continually focusing on improving iPhone camera technology in meaningful ways.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Downscaled 4k to 1080 will look better than native 1080. Even if you aren't using 4k video at full resolution, if you have the space it never hurts to use.

For example, I often work with 6k RED dragon footage. We have never delivered anything above 1080 but shooting in 6k makes the downscaled footage look better than if we shot it in 1080.

Bingo

As long as they aren't going backwards and losing low light capabilities with 4k you're better off down scaling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.