Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
AT&T has not disclosed what markets they are rolling out to yet.

"AT&T did not specify which markets are gaining WCS coverage, nor how quickly it will build out coverage around the country. AT&T is, however, expected to start with markets that have more capacity requirements."
- phonescoop.com (9/10/2015)
Came to this thread looking for this information. If they're not announcing anything yet, then where I live won't be covered for at LEAST a year... or two... So, thanks! This will not affect which version I buy.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I don't get why they don't just make one model with everything. Why all the circus tricks?

It seems like having only one model per size would be easier.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
Yes, thankfully international LTE rollouts make global compatibility much more convenient, especially with the wide number of LTE bands the iP6s supports. I travel to Japan frequently and can shed some light on the situation.

The link you provided is referring to CDMA2000, one of the two major 3G networks in Japan.
1. W-CDMA aka UMTS: Used by DoCoMo and Softbank
2. CDMA2000: Used by Verizon, KDDI au.

GSM is not deployed in Japan. Thankfully, both iP6s models support UMTS, so if your iP6s were to dip out of the 4G LTE network, theoretically you would safely land on a 3G W-CDMA/UMTS network.

CDMA2000 and really 3G networks in general are being phased out in favor of 4G+ network rollouts. So as long as the country you are in has an available 3G network supported by the iP6s to fallback on in leu of LTE coverage, you should be fine.

Thanks for all the information you're bringing to this message board. You've been the best source so far for all of this. Curious, which model are you getting and why?

Also, I'm sure there are both financial and regulatory reasons, but curious why Apple doesn't just make one single model.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
tl;dr:
If, as a customer/consumer, you are looking to maximize your iPhone 6s/Plus experience while using it with your carrier in the US, ordering the model offered by your carrier will be the safest bet.

---------------
From the info that's out there now, it's pretty much safe to assume that AT&T is offering the A163x models since they're the only carrier in the US (at this time) that offers LTE Band 30 to supplement the other LTE Bands that AT&T uses.

It's also pretty clear that Verizon and Sprint will get the A168x models in order to have CDMA signal fallback should the LTE signal be insufficient.

The question would be which model T-Mo is offering. T-Mo subscribers can't go wrong with either the A163x or A168x models as T-Mo operates within the GSM and LTE bands that are currently listed on the Apple spec page for both flavors. Also, since LTE Band 12 (T-Mo's 700MHz) is now included on both flavors, T-Mo customers will have better coverage where Band 12 is offered (compared to iPhone 6).

Is that concrete info that the AT&T and T-Mobile phones will be the exact same model?

There's no concrete info as the units aren't shipping yet. It's also a tossup, since there's a published PCMag article without much of a citation as to where the info about T-mo offering A168x models came from vs. a tweet from an official T-Mo account explicitly stating T-Mo is offering the A163x model.

Also, I'm sure there are both financial and regulatory reasons, but curious why Apple doesn't just make one single model.

I'm certain Apple would like that, since they could have a single SKU each for 6/Plus and streamline the whole manufacturing process.

Update:

Checking the Apple Store app on my phone, it shows CDMA when I select Sprint or Verizon (obviously), and GSM when I select AT&T. When I select Contract-Free/T-Mobile, it also shows GSM, which leads me to believe that the T-Mo phone will also be the A163x models.

Note that the T-Mo iPhone 6/Plus models at pre-order time last year were also the AT&T models (A1549)

Last edited:
Reactions: sicariis

atomic50

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2009
We are in a similar situation from last year's iPhone models except that instead of a T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon/etc model and a Sprint/Rest of World, we have a potential for AT&T/T-Mobile and Verizon/Sprint/Rest of World model.

Here is the description filed in the FCC docs this year.

The device is the next generation iPhone.

For operational and marketing reasons, there will be four models: A1633[/A1634], A1687[/A1688], A1690[/A1691], and A1699[/1700].

All models are mobile phones with multimedia functions (music, application support, and video), Cellular GSM/GPRS/EGPRS/CDMA2000 1x Advanced/EVDO Rev.A /WCDMA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA/HSUPA, LTE FDD/TDD & Carrier Aggregation / TD-SCDMA, VoLTE radio, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac radio 2x2 MIMO, Bluetooth radio and NFC. The rechargeable battery is not user accessible.

All models have identical PCB layout, design and functionality except A1634 has Tx and Rx filter for Band 30.

Model A1633[/A1634] was set as the primary model for testing.
FCC1 FCC2

Here is the description in the FCC docs last year.

For operational and marketing reasons, there will be two models, A1524[/A1586] and A1522[/A1549].

Model A1524[/A1586] is a mobile phone with multimedia functions (music, application support, and video), Cellular GSM/GPRS/EGPRS/CDMA2000 1x RTT[/Advanced]/EVDO Rev.A/EVDO Rev.B/WCDMA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA/LTE FDD & Carrier Aggregation/TDD/TD-SCDMA radio, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac radio, Bluetooth radio and NFC. The rechargeable battery is not user accessible.

Model A1522[/A1586] is identical to Model A1524[/A1549] and has the same MLB as Model A1524, but with TD-LTE/TD-SCDMA components de-populated.

FCC3 FCC4

Last edited:

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
So.... 1633/34 has CDMA and LTE30, same like with t-mobile unlocked iPhone 6 it has CDMA, but VZW didn't want to activate it, but if you have account SIM swap worked fine.

OMG!!!!! Apple, t-mobile just bla-bla-bla and no real info.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Stay tuned without customer, t-mobile! How can I try their network if I don't know what I buying? And a smile at the end , of course. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 4.50.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 4.50.31 PM.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 302

milaround

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
which model are you getting and why?

I am placing my bet that T-Mobile will carry the A1633/34, and that it will have CDMA capabilities.

My main concern is usage in the US and Japan. I use T-Mobile in the states, and bmobile in Japan. I will be getting a T-Mobile paid-in-full (and hopefully unlocked.) I have no need for CDMA2000 compatibility in either country, so if it turns out that A1633/34 does not support CDMA, it is no loss to me, and I have band 30 capability for future-proofing. Also both iPhones are compatible with UMTS which is what bmobile uses through DoCoMo's network, so between that and LTE, I do not expect to have any issues in Japan with either model.

Last edited:
Reactions: bchreng

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
Thank you for your take on this–I guess I was just looking for others that plan on going the same route. I'm in a similar situation, as I have several trips (Asia and Europe) in the works in the coming year, but I figure that the majority of the usage will be here at home in the US.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
We are in a similar situation from last year's iPhone models except that instead of a T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon/etc model and a Sprint/Rest of World, we have a potential for AT&T/T-Mobile and Verizon/Sprint/Rest of World model.
I'd be willing to bet the Att/t-mobile phone will be the rest of the world model this year since that one has more bands

passingapple

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, two things to add:

This was probably already mentioned, but regarding model A1633 (AT&T) "possibly" having CDMA support despite Apple website stating otherwise, the same thing happened with iphone 6. The spec for Iphone 6 (model A1549 GSM) still states that it doesn't have CDMA support, but it's been confirmed that it does. http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

Now the difference is that for iphone 6, it's the same model number for both GSM and CDMA and just because it was the case with iphone 6 doesn't make it automatically true to for iphone 6s. But there is a precedent now and A1633 secretly having CDMA rev. A is definitely a possibility. And if that is the case, A1633 IS the SIM-free version, as in having all the possible bands. Just need to wait a few weeks to hear back from folks who get A1633.
(EDIT: I see that this point was mentioned)

Another thing is that I find it curious is A1688 dropping CDMA EV-DO Rev. B, which is the enhanced version of Rev. A unlike iphone 6. So this EV-DO support for iphone 6s, if it has one at all, is like bare minimum, which is understandable as it's been phased out. Still need it for voice calling for Verizon/Sprint at this moment, though. No one else seems to comment on Rev. B part, though.

Last edited:

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
AHHHH i can't decide .. I'm with ATT but I would like a global phone for traveling .. which to get ?
I'm no expert, but after reading this thread and other information around the net tonight I'd say get an AT&T phone.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
keep in mind, AT&T models require a $15 upgrade fee now. Might not be worth it just to get band 30, and the possibility of the CDMA disabled.

Reactions: ZigZagLens

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
So if the AT&T phone supports all GSM and CDMA bands, why isn't it the best one to get? Isn't it still up for debate that the T-Mobile phone could be the other version?

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
And if the CDMA capabilities are disabled on the AT&T phone, can't you ask them to unlock it to get the CDMA functionality back?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
And if the CDMA capabilities are disabled on the AT&T phone, can't you ask them to unlock it to get the CDMA functionality back?
No. If they're disabled, they're permanently disabled. But I highly doubt that'll end up being the case based on the FCC docs.

Easiest way to check when you get your phone is to see if there's an "MEID" field in settings. If there is, it will support CDMA. If there isn't, it won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.